[Solved] How do I use an external synthesizer as a MIDI controller?

tdehan

I have my Roland RD1000 88 key digital MIDI piano connected to my Digital Audio Interface with MIDI cables (MIDI Out of keyboard to MIDI In of interface, MIDI In of keyboard to MIDI Out of interface).   I insert a new MIDI track in Cakewalk and when I hit RECORD and play the Roland I can see that MIDI data is being captured and recorded by Cakewalk.  I want the captured MIDI data to trigger the SI-Piano instrument VST I have loaded in Cakewalk but I get not sound.  I am assuming that I need to route the captured MIDI track to another track with the SI-Piano which I've tried to do several times and still no sound.

How do I get the MIDI data transmitted from my Roland RD1000 to trigger the SI-Piano VST and record it in Cakewalk?  This is driving me nuts!

Thanks

Edited by tdehan

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/home

I have 5 tutorials that cover everything to do with midi. 

Make sure you install the midi driver from Roland, don't use a generic windows driver.

Make sure the Roland is checked under Preferences/ midi/ devices- Inputs

On the midi track set the INPUT-  make sure the Roland is the input device and choose OMNI

The OUTPUT of the MIDI track needs to be set to the SI Piano and input echo on so you can hear it.

The Si Piano OUTPUT need to be set to your master bus.

Your Master Bus OUTPUT needs to be set to your audio interface.  

You can test the SI piano is outputting sound using the GUI interface.

2021-01-25.png

Edited by John Vere

Since you've accomplished the task of getting everything hooked up and Cakewalk receiving MIDI information, you probably do just need to set the output of the MIDI track to the synth and all will be well.

One thing to look out for: if you've followed John's instructions and still can't hear anything, make sure you don't have the MIDI track solo'd by itself, because that will mute all other tracks including the one with SI Electric Piano on it. Cakewalk usually links solo and mute between MIDI and instrument tracks, but it's possible to override it. Just mind your solos and mutes and you'll be fine.

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/home

I have 5 tutorials that cover everything to do with midi. 

Make sure you install the midi driver from Roland, don't use a generic windows driver.

Make sure the Roland is checked under Preferences/ midi/ devices- Inputs

On the midi track set the INPUT-  make sure the Roland is the input device and choose OMNI

The OUTPUT of the MIDI track needs to be set to the SI Piano and input echo on so you can hear it.

The Si Piano OUTPUT need to be set to your master bus.

Your Master Bus OUTPUT needs to be set to your audio interface.  

You can test the SI piano is outputting sound using the GUI interface.

2021-01-25.png

There is no MIDI driver for the Roland RD1000.  

5 hours ago, lapasoa said:

If you have the midi out of  your Roland RD1000 connected to the midi in of your audio interface the game is done.

Put  an istance of SI - Piano on your Track view. Play your Roland keyboard and the game is done.

Obviously game is not done or I would be hearing the instrument.