Audio Tracks not stopping at project end

NOLAGuy

Please excuse if this has been answered. Tried various searches to no avail.

On my projects, MIDI tracks have an "END" marker at the end of each track, but on my recorded audio tracks, there is no "END" marker. What happens is that Cakewalk reaches the end of my recorded audio track and just keeps on running until I actively stop it using the mouse/keyboard option.

I always have the Stop At Project End option checkmarked, but it does not seem to work on recorded audio, logically because the audio tracks have no Project End marker.

I have previously contacted BLCakewalk support in mid-2019 about this issue, and they appeared to acknowledge the problem after reviewing my submitted sample project, but replied that they would add it to the list for future "fixes".

Not sure if others have the same problem, as it may be some unidentified setting in my Cakewalk, but in it's simpliest form, Is there a way to force an "END" marker at the end of an audio track?

There is no "end marker" for audio or MIDI

Cakewalk plays until the last bit of data is reached regardless of the "Stop At Project End" setting.

If "Stop At Project End" is not set Cakewalk continues past the last bit of data.

Sometimes projects appear to play past the end due to an automation node or some sliver of data beyond the "end."

Usually, this "play past end" problem is fixed by selecting everything right of the "end" then using ripple edit to the delete the selection.

I recall a report about projects created with an old template having this problem too. 

This was not fixed by deleting unwanted data. 

In that case, the fix was building a new template.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scook said:

There is no "end marker" for audio or MIDI

I agree that one doesn't seem able to set an End marker , but Cakewalk does put a graphic 3-dot triangle mark at the end of MIDI tracks. I've been thinking that represented an "End" marker.

So, if I may ask, when you record an audio track, does it play back past the recorded end without stopping? If so, do you have a preferred way to stop the playback?

1 hour ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Just a work around-insert a MIDI note where you want the end to be and mute that note.  Or, drag the end of an existing MIDI note (or clip) to the end point.

Hi Lynn... If there is a way to insert a MIDI note into an Audio track, I am unaware of how to do that.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Czerny said:

So, if I may ask, when you record an audio track, does it play back past the recorded end without stopping?

Yes. In fact, I rely on the ability to start the transport with no data in the tracks and without record being enabled. This is why I keep "Always Stop At Project End" turned off.

8 minutes ago, Chuck Czerny said:

If so, do you have a preferred way to stop the playback?

The spacebar

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Czerny said:

Hi Lynn... If there is a way to insert a MIDI note into an Audio track, I am unaware of how to do that.

Create a MIDI with nothing else in it and insert a note via the piano roll view.  To find the end of a project hit ctrl-end on your keyboard.

• Great Idea 1

That is a very old request to Cakewalk

Instead of various  smart workarounds made by CbB users, the request is that Cakewak finds an easy way to have the opportunity for everybody to fix a project's end everywhere he likes..

Edited by lapasoa
  • Great Idea 2

On 1/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, lapasoa said:

That is a very old request to Cakewalk

Instead of various  smart workarounds made by CbB users, the request is that Cakewak finds an easy way to have the opportunity for everybody to fix a project's end everywhere he likes..

Yes, exactly. Last year, I was told Cakewalk development would consider the change for future releases, but I hadn't seen any references to the problem in the updates released by Cakewalk, so I posted the question on this forum, in case I missed a change.

Seems like a fairly simple change... place a marker on the "ruler" and end the project when it reaches that point. Ah well....

• 2 years later...

Sorry this is so late, but I just had the same problem and while looking for an answer, I found this link.

I tried several of these suggestions and found a combination that worked for me.

It seems that when I deleted some midi content at the end of a clip, then moved the end marker on the clip to shorten it, some midi data stayed on the track but didn't show up in the Event List.

I used the Ctrl-End suggestion and it showed the end of the clip including the "phantom" data. I put that point in the end selection, then put my proposed end in the beginning selection, then did a Delete Special and clicked all the boxes. That deleted all the phantom data and the project end is now where it should be.

I hope someone can use this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1