Waves Nx Ocean Way Nashville

cclarry

25 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not seeing the glitch here with Ocean Way.

Running a project at 48/24 ASIO buffers at 256. With five VSTi instances on 5 instrument tracks. 3 FX plugins, 2 on tracks and one on master bus.

Interesting! Have you tried it with different buffer sizes? I have and also experimented with different drivers.

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

Interesting! Have you tried it with different buffer sizes? I have and also experimented with different drivers.

Well that was as low as I could go with buffers with live soft synths in the mix. Now I'm noticing that the audio path cuts out briefly as you switch monitors on Ocean Way, which doesn't happen with Abbey Road. This is also apparent on the master bus meters.

At lower buffer settings this causes a glitch (static) in the audio as well, but at 512 or 1024 it's just a momentary audio dropout.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I pulled the trigger for the $29 promo for previous Abbey Road Studio 3 users and it does sound very good on my Sony Open backs. I can’t wait to hear the difference on the Status CB-1 coming Monday.

Regarding the glitching, I am also getting it on my setup. I only had one instance of Kontakt playing Nashville Scoring Strings (also recorded at Ocean Way Nashville).

I tried different buffer settings and still glitches,. Will followup with some more tests soon.

• Like 3

I can use some advice from those of you who really understand mixing. I haven't had a DAW for several years, but I never really learned anything about mixing or mastering and want to start getting knowledgeable about it, but I have limited time to do so, so consequently, I bought Izotope's full array of their mixing and mastering plugins --  largely purchased Izotope because their tools use AI and look really friendly for those not knowledgeable on mixing or mastering, like me. But I'm temporary not going to have access to using my speaker monitors and will need to do some mixing on headphones for some tracks I would like to share. In that instance, would this Ocean Way plugin likely be valuable for me or does Izotope's tool -- which I have yet to install or use (I'm getting a new PC for my DAW next week) -- handle mixing with headphones well? 

3 hours ago, Peter DeLegge said:

I can use some advice from those of you who really understand mixing. I haven't had a DAW for several years, but I never really learned anything about mixing or mastering and want to start getting knowledgeable about it, but I have limited time to do so, so consequently, I bought Izotope's full array of their mixing and mastering plugins --  largely purchased Izotope because their tools use AI and look really friendly for those not knowledgeable on mixing or mastering, like me. But I'm temporary not going to have access to using my speaker monitors and will need to do some mixing on headphones for some tracks I would like to share. In that instance, would this Ocean Way plugin likely be valuable for me or does Izotope's tool -- which I have yet to install or use (I'm getting a new PC for my DAW next week) -- handle mixing with headphones well? 

Different beasts. The Izotope plugins will cover the tools for mixin: Channelstrips (Neutron and Nectar), Mastering chain (Ozone), Metering (Insight) and other things. So I'd say both are useful

Ocean Way Nashville translates the stereo output to a binaural signal to give the sensation of being immersed in a certain space instead of having the L signal on the left ear and the R signal on the right ear. It simulates mixing with speaker monitors, and it applies impulse responses to simulate the Ocean Wave Nashville studio.

There is also a "basic" Waves NX version that only does the binaural part. No specific studio emulation. It's very handy to mix with headphones.

Plugin alliance has DearVR monitor, and there are a few other binaural plugins around.

A nice complement to this is Sonarworks Reference 4 for Headphones, which applies EQ corrections to make headphones have a flat response.

As for getting knowleadgeable about mixing and mastering, I really enjoy Michael White's "Mixing with Mike" mixing bootcamp. It's not the tutorial "do this, then that because" kind of thing. He explains the "why" you do this and that, so it takes longer but the results are better.

• Thanks 1

Whilst I found the technology Impressive I found both messed with my sounds too much.

The AR made my drums sound like a 60's Ludwig kit, no matter what bass I was using, it emulated a Hofner Violin bass and all the vocalist's had a Liverpool Accent.

Trying the new Ocean Way, the song tempo slowed down, the guitars became jangly and jumped up in the mix whilst the synths completely disappeared, The lead vocal lyrics changed to singing about cowboys, drinking and lost love and the BV's sounded like a choir of Dolly Partons

I'll get my coat.....

Edited by Hatstand
  • Haha 4

Thanks @Pollux. Being a rock musician, I would naturally gravitate towards anything branded Abbey Road. I realize this thread is focused on the Ocean Way NashvilNashville, but I take it that everyone is pretty happy with the Abbey Road plugin -- as if I start by buying one, that would be the one I'd be inclined to get first. 

I would download the 7-day free demos of both to see which works best for you.

I added the NX Abbey Road plugin after I completed my Abbey Road Collection (NX not included).

But after I tried an A/B test with Ocean Way, I like it much better. Maybe it's just my ears, but everyone's hearing differs, so suggest your own demo test.