Waves Nx Ocean Way Nashville

cclarry

I downloaded the demo and I may get it. Definitely a different sound when you A/B with AR Studio 3 and I like the idea of flipping between them. I also like the Ambiance control on this version.  Looks like no Unfiltered Audio Bass-Mint for me...

9 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

How does NX compare to Sonarworks?

Kinda different.  

The NX system actually has a piece of hardware that connects to your headphones and is used for head tracking.  You can also use the clunky face tracking version with a webcam.  This allows you to work in surround environments with headphones on, and I feel this actually has value (latency and other gripes aside).  This means if you move your head counter clockwise, it will seem like your right ear is in front of the center speaker (in a 5.1 set up for example).   I worked on a surround mix on a plane once from NY to LA, due to time constraints with NX.  When I got to the studio with my 5.1 set up coming out my Cranesong Avocet tower, it was really good, and comparable to mixing on headphones vs mixing on speakers.  

As for using it to simulate mixing in Abbey Road, or Oceanway, or the music hall section of the Namm convention or whatever.... I don't find this to be very realistic or something I'll really use.  Headphones and speakers, being as subjective as they are, will likely show other people that thrive using this, but not me.  

While the Waves NX system does include some " Eq correction", The Sonarworks would be more comparable to, say, the new Slate headphones (even though the Sonarworks can also be applied to some speakers).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

They are for different purposes. Sonarworks attempts to straighten the frequency response to as flat as possible, whereas the NX stuff does a little bit of that, too, but primarily creates a spatial illusion of listening to speakers in the modeled control room.

Sonarworks only does EQ, I think. If you get the Reference Studio version of Sonarworks with the mic you can measure your speakers yourself and get a profile to flatten your frequency response at the listening spot. For headphones you need to download ready-made profiles from Sonarworks (or send your phones to them to get them profiled).

3 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

Not possible...YET

Nevermind! Just tried it, compared it to the AR3 Studio. It doesn't go an extra mile, in fact it's kind of meh. Glitchy, when you switch speakers and overall not in the same league with the AR3S, although it does sound very similar.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:15 PM, RSMcGuitar said:

you can actually use both.

NX creates the binaural signal and adds the environment response to simulate the studio (like if you were not using headphones).

Sonarworks flattens the sound curve for a specific set of headphones.

Nx has a few "supported" headphones with the correction curve, but you can turn it off and use Sonarworks to flatten the curve after NX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Pollux said:

you can actually use both.

NX creates the binaural signal and adds the environment response to simulate the studio (like if you were not using headphones).

Sonarworks flattens the sound curve for a specific set of headphones.

Nx has a few "supported" headphones with the correction curve, but you can turn it off and use Sonarworks to flatten the curve after NX.

Heh, this is actually how I use it as well. On my "Headphones" buss I first have AR3 without headphone profile selection and after that Sonarworks with calibration for my phones. Makes it erier to get AR3 out of the equation with phones correction still in effect.

I honestly thought I was buying a reverb when I bought this haha....It isn't bad for the price and for what it is. Since my headphones are on the supported list I see no need to use Sonarworks. They should be EQ'd in the plugin.

I watched the video Eusebio posted.  Like that guy I prefer to mix on open monitors but many times I simply can't because it's late and I don't want to wake anyone, so I'll usually make a mix using Sonarworks for headphones and then compare it to my open monitors for the final mix.

Not sure how much of an advantage this is compared to Sonarworks. Will being in an artificially simulated studio space help me to mix better? The jury is still out on that one.  I have a camera I can use for tracking. Haven't tried to hook it up yet. In thinking about this, I am wondering how they can effectively make a studio using very high end monitors sound the same to me using my headphones? I mean. if they can do that let's all stop buying expensive studio monitors and just use simulations.

The NX tracker thingy I have no idea what it costs , where to get it and/or if it is necessary to effectively use this plugin. I imagine I'll see if Waves has it. If it's only 20 bucks maybe I'll give it a try. They should have included that this was something I might need unless I missed it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starise said:

The NX tracker thingy I have no idea what it costs , where to get it and/or if it is necessary to effectively use this plugin. I imagine I'll see if Waves has it. If it's only 20 bucks maybe I'll give it a try. They should have included that this was something I might need unless I missed it? 

you don't need the NX tracker to use it, and you can use it without head tracking at all (without the face tracking). You can "move the head" with the mouse if needed, and set it back to 0 for the central position.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 4:42 AM, Soundwise said:

Nevermind! Just tried it, compared it to the AR3 Studio. It doesn't go an extra mile, in fact it's kind of meh. Glitchy, when you switch speakers and overall not in the same league with the AR3S, although it does sound very similar.

Just goes to show how everyone is different, over at GS practically everyone is saying the exact opposite.

I've got it, but haven't installed and tried it out yet (soon) but am looking forward to seeing what it's like.

• Like 2

Well, since I already had the Abbey Road Collection, and then I received a few free plugins last year in a deal,  I chose the NX Abbey Road Studio (not included in the Collection) without trying the demo first because it looked cool. Not because I have ever thought mixing on headphones was cool but I liked the idea of a room simulation, especially one that could potentially transport me into that famous studio! 😎

I thought is was just OK, but not something I would use a lot. But it does include a profile for my headphones, the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro.

So with the new NX Ocean Way Nashville, I decided to check out the demo first, and A/B with NX Abbey Road Studio. Especially before I read the Gearslutz reviews and let them get into my head. 🤪

But I could definitely hear the difference, and Ocean Way is an improvement. I hope Waves goes back and updates Abbey Road!

Pulled the trigger on this deal last night! And I do agree with the consensus on Gearslutz! :)

On 1/28/2021 at 3:43 AM, Larry Shelby said:

The initial response on Facebook was highly positive, and there's a lot of 
heavy hitters there...so take that for what it's worth....

Agreed! I'm by no means a heavy hitter.

Just uploaded a video comparison between OW and AR NX series plugins.  As usual, take it for what it's worth. Enjoy!

Sorry for the delayed response. My music and video projects drive went belly up a few days ago. Had to replace it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Agreed! I'm by no means a heavy hitter.

Just uploaded a video comparison between OW and AR NX series plugins.  As usual, take it for what it's worth. Enjoy!

Sorry for the delayed response. My music and video projects drive went belly up a few days ago. Had to replace it.

Not seeing the glitch here with Ocean Way.

Running a project at 48/24 ASIO buffers at 256. With five VSTi instances on 5 instrument tracks. 3 FX plugins, 2 on tracks and one on master bus.

• Like 1