Cakewalk and AUDIENT Interfaces thread eg EVO 4, 8 .. ID4 etc

aidan o driscoll

https://audient.com/

https://evo.audio/products/evo-4/features/
https://evo.audio/products/

https://audient.com/products/audio-interfaces/id4/overview/

Hi guys,

I HAVE STARTED THIS THREAD AS I NOTE A FEW HERE ( AND ON FACEBOOK CW GROUPS  ) EITHER HAVE OR ARE CONSIDERING GETTING AUDIENT INTERFACES LIKE MENTIONED IN TITLE TO WORK WITH CAKEWALK. DO NOT LET THIS PUT YOU OFF THESE INTERFACES ( there is a workaround detailed in Noels response below in the meantime )

During the early access program thread ( now closed ) for the 2021.01 update I brought up an issue i was having with my new AUDIENT EVO 4 Interface, the ASIO DRIVER,  which was producing Dropouts ( Error 0 ) when ever I used it to the point the minute a project was loaded I would get dropouts and even hangs.

SO @Noel Borthwick kindly liased resulting in a remote session and concluded the issue was definitely the AUDIENT ASIO Driver and the way it was written, IT IS NOT A CAKEWALK ISSUE. Here is Noels thoughts:

I have been back and forward with AUDIENT about this ( CCing Noel ) and they have now sent me a BETA new driver to try saying:

"Our software team have released a new driver version, V4.1.10, which should alleviate problems with poor performance in some DAWS"

So I will try this and report back. I noted the driver link is to an ID4 driver, I have asked them does this matter as I dont have an ID4, I have an EVO 4. However I just tried this and it seems to work but thats only from a quick test, will get more comprehensive when i have time later on ( its 11am here in Ireland, so work :D )

PS - The Evo 4 works fine using WASAPI and other Driver modes. ASIO is the issue and the driver

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this and all upcoming updates, Aidan! I will be looking for an interface with low roundtrip latency soon or later. So far I've narrowed the choices to RME, Zoom UAC and Audient EVO. Of these three, RME is definitely out of my price range, so either Zoom or Evo for me. As most interfaces do sound good nowadays, drivers are the biggest factor now. Will keep an eye on your findings, cheers.

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Thanks for this and all upcoming updates, Aidan! I will be looking for an interface with low roundtrip latency soon or later. So far I've narrowed the choices to RME, Zoom UAC and Audient EVO. Of these three, RME is definitely out of my price range, so either Zoom or Evo for me. As most interfaces do sound good nowadays, drivers are the biggest factor now. Will keep an eye on your findings, cheers.

@chris.r I wouldnt let this "hiccup" turn you off the EVO 4. As a guitar player particularly, same goes for BASS and any other stringed instrument .. the full jack JFET DI interface is the job, plus as you said the very low roundtrip latency possible. As noel outlines above in the meantime there is a workaround that isnt too stressful :D 

https://evo.audio/products/evo-4/features/

Thanks, as a keyboard player actually, I find the MIDI joints of Zoom interfaces very usable. In terms of sound I'd expect the Audient to perform a little better but on the paper Zoom looks good enough. There are more inputs and outputs in Evo 8 that still can be had for less than Zoom UAC-2, plus an additional headphones output which is very welcome. And I cherish the digital big knob, had already enough of any static when turning the volume on all the gear I owned so far! Choices, choices... :) 

Edited by chris.r

9 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Thanks, as a keyboard player actually, I find the MIDI joints of Zoom interfaces very usable. In terms of sound I'd expect the Audient to perform a little better but on the paper Zoom looks good enough. There are more inputs and outputs in Evo 8 that still can be had for less than Zoom UAC-2, plus an additional headphones output which is very welcome. And I cherish the digital big knob, had already enough of any static when turning the volume on all the gear I owned so far! Choices, choices... :) 

Yip. Big multi function rotary knob top of EVO also with 5 function buttons controlled by it. The back has the 2 XLR/Full Jack inputs in the middle and 2 full jack out puts for speakers etc. And yes one Headphone jack at front but as i am through my sony stereo amp with source direct feature that gives me the 2nd Headphone Jack if needed :D

I like its size though - about 3.5" across, 1.5" back to front, 1.5" height ( approx ). Easy to move around, solid feel to it, though plastic. Taking it out and about good too because everything except for that big rotary knob on top is flush, but even that is solid, so wont catch off anything in a bag. I move it from my Desktop to my laptop and back daily.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lapasoa said:

In my country there is a sayng: who spends more spends less.

Fair enough BUT for most hobbiests RME stuff is significantly more expensive than others - ST£850 +  for an interface

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rme&crid=1SDOGCUT4JY87&sprefix=rme%2Caps%2C145&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-a-p_2_3

Maybe if you are making money out of your music like commercial recording etc then OK ..

7 hours ago, lapasoa said:

In my country there is a sayng: who spends more spends less.

In mine it goes more like this: "Miser pays twice". I made the calculation

Evo8 €197 + UAC2 €179 698 Babyface Pro

still not work :) 

Edited by chris.r

Some interfaces companies are very focused on the status quo and do their testing on Pro tools and Logic etc. They also seem to write a Mac driver first. ?  Anyhow when you shop for interface and you look on the website they often have a list of tested DAWS.  Sometimes Cakewalk is not even on the list. 

Ok @Noel Borthwick .. Im just replying here so all can see ..

I just tried out this new ( not released as of yet ) Audient ASIO Driver that was sent to me by AUDIENT earlier.

As per our remote session last monday, to work around the issue at hand, you had changed the DEFAULT FORMAT ( in windows SOUND SETTINGS playback driver properties ) to 44,100 Hz to coincide with the same setting in CW for the projects. meaning temp wise, if any tracks in CW were at say 48000 or 96000 then this manual trick would need to be applied each time. 

With the new driver installed I deliberately changed the DEFAULT FORMAT to 96,000 Hz as you can see in the image below & also DEFAULTED the EVO 4 for Windows rather than the built in REALTEK . I then loaded CW and loaded a few of the projects we were testing with. ALL PLAYED FINE, no more drop outs. It does look like they have resolved the issue with this driver. I will try the same thing on my LAPTOP later on and see if result is the same.

As an aside I also noted that in CW prefs / Playback & Recording, with ASIO set as Driver Mode, it was also listing the FL Asio Driver. In fact when I launched CW it gave me an error about that FL Asio Driver .. I simply removed the FL Asio Driver in Programs and Features. Error gone. I have no doubt better off with that gone anyway, stick with the AUDIENT ASIO driver in all apps 

Audient beta driver 1.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

@Noel Borthwick Daniel Mills at AUDIENT just emailed me saying:

"I'll pass on your message to our Software team and test engineers and we can look at adding more testing with Cakewalk products. "

In reponse to my message starting with - "Going forward I reckon it might be a good idea to test the EVO / Audient drivers FOR PC using Cakewalk" - and singing BANDLAB CAKEWALKS praises 

I gave them your email addy also, so they may be in touch, lets see ..

Aidan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1