Feature Request Pitch envelope in automation Lane

Xel Ohh

+1 for a Bump up to keep this one up and running here too. 

I think I have a similar request somewhere lost as this one. Having this build-in to the DAW, would be a great addition for EDM and Hip Hop projects and the DAW as a whole. 

Work arounds are great. I use Graillon almost every single time, but it's extra system resources that could've been spared. 

That's the first thing I look for in a request. Is it saving CPU consumption | or | will it add? And this one will definitely reduce the burden of using an extra plugin. 

Well deserve bump up! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I think I have a similar request somewhere lost as this one. Having this build-in to the DAW, would be a great addition for EDM and Hip Hop projects and the DAW as a whole. 

Work arounds are great. I use Graillon almost every single time, but it's extra system resources that could've been spared. 

That's the first thing I look for in a request. Is it saving CPU consumption | or | will it add? And this one will definitely reduce the burden of using an extra plugin. 

Well deserve bump up! 

I with ya 100% work arounds are cool but I think the pitch envelope will help alot..😄

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Well deserve bump up! 

This isn't a workaround - it's a solution.

What you guys are asking for is a change in pitch, with no change in duration. This isn't a simple property change of a waveform - it requires DSP processing to perform pitch shifting with time stretching.

There's a reason why our existing time stretching methods have different settings for offline/online operation:  pitch shifting with time stretching is CPU intensive.  Good sounding pitch shifting with time stretching is even more CPU intensive. 

If we did decide to do something like this, it would require us writing a plugin to do it. Whether it's actually exposed as a VST or not, it would still essentially be a plugin.  What makes you think that anything Cakewalk comes up with would be less resource intensive and at the same time equal or better quality than a third party plugin?  

If adding a plugin is a burden, what's the answer... have this internal plugin on every audio track as a convenience? That would only serve to increase resources.

Graillon does a great job of balancing CPU vs quality.  Just put it in your clip or track fx bin, and it's there to use.

Alternatively, use the loop construction view to make it into a groove clip, and enter the pitch markers as needed in the timeline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

This isn't a workaround - it's a solution.

What you guys are asking for is a change in pitch, with no change in duration. This isn't a simple property change of a waveform - it requires DSP processing to perform pitch shifting with time stretching.

There's a reason why our existing time stretching methods have different settings for offline/online operation:  pitch shifting with time stretching is CPU intensive.  Good sounding pitch shifting with time stretching is even more CPU intensive. 

If we did decide to do something like this, it would require us writing a plugin to do it. Whether it's actually exposed as a VST or not, it would still essentially be a plugin.  What makes you think that anything Cakewalk comes up with would be less resource intensive and at the same time equal or better quality than a third party plugin?  

If adding a plugin is a burden, what's the answer... have this internal plugin on every audio track as a convenience? That would only serve to increase resources.

Graillon does a great job of balancing CPU vs quality.  Just put it in your clip or track fx bin, and it's there to use.

Alternatively, use the loop construction view to make it into a groove clip, and enter the pitch markers as needed in the timeline. 

I hear you and i'm not arguing what you've said. ☺

Feature requests are ideas, right? And suggestions that comes from the replies often bring more ideas to it,right? So why not take whats already there and write that into a pitch bend envelope? Basically we'll just extract the "pitch codes and | pitch shift codes" from the loop construction into an envelope. There's timestretch too. I know its easy to say something, but that's why we're here to ask questions and to understand. 

Like with midi files, it does this automatically with an envelope without you touching the pitch bend wheel of your keyboard, but my M-Audio keystation has to be switched on everytime I return to the project, unless I dont record it to an Aux track. 

I'm just mentioning this to bring foward the idea that it is possible to do it without creating a new plugin for that and to use what's already there and fuse those into an pitch bend envelope. If im wrong, tell me. Ideas goes and reach far, some might be to much, but not impossible - much like, how I like the thought of having the "channel tools plugin" as a prochannel module or built-into the track strip for its width settings. 

We're here to help, suggest and to bring ideas - not to argue. ☺

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 1:40 PM, solarlux said:

Pitch clip envelope i think is not so important because i can make it with free plugins. I can make track template with audio track with pitch plugin in there and all what i need for this type of manipulation. CbB team works very hard and i understand there are many more important things than pitch bend envelope. But feature is good but need to be patient. : )

Hello: CbB team is a plug - in? Do you know how someone have to get access to this?

Thank you?

On 1/25/2021 at 12:33 PM, scook said:

Yeah, the current solution is use a pitch plug-in (I use zPlane Elastique Pitch) or throw the clips into a sampler.

To me this is a special case of the built-in sampler FRs.

I tried to do so but seems to be that SONAR 8 (that is my SONAR versión) don't recognize the plug - in. 

I suppose could be becouse is a very old SONAR versión right now and for that reason is not compatible with VST3....I suppose.

Or maybe I don't know to do It...

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2021 at 7:07 AM, msmcleod said:

If we did decide to do something like this, it would require us writing a plugin to do it. Whether it's actually exposed as a VST or not, it would still essentially be a plugin.  

Revisit: 

🤣 I think I've beat you on this one. I think Cakewalk already does have this "plugin" you're speaking of - I MIGHT BE WRONG. 

I've been doing pitch envelopes extremely a lot before this topic and since this topic, but not as in what's discussed here. I was doing one right now exactly and it strucked me: Hey! heres that thing we were discussing before and Cakewalk is doing this without any external plugins. Purely internal SIR! 

Question:

So, if im correct, would the bakers be able to take the same code and add it to Audio Tracks. (Come to think about it, I don't think its necessary 🧐) Let me ask the OP. 

@Xel Ohh I think I have solved this. Been doing it without realising it for a few years now. 🤣