Heads-up regarding A|A|S version 3's and sound packs

Starship Krupa

I'm cross-posting this to Instruments and Effects.

Not long ago A|A|S came out with major updates to Chromophone, Ultra Analog, String Studio, and A|A|S Player/Swatches (what you use to play sound packs if you don't have the aforementioned synths). Version 3.

I noticed at the time that they mention in the sound pack blurbs that the ones derived from those instruments have been "remastered" for version 3. I did some side-by-side listening tests with A|A|S player, and yes, the sounds were "bigger," even in just Player.

Upon further listening, I noticed that some of the sounds were not only bigger, but have changed tonally, to the point where I feel I can't fully trust my use of them in pre-version 3 projects. Not that I'm going to switch to another sound, but that I might have to do a bit of tweaking in order to make sure the sounds still sit where I want them in the mix.

tl/dr:

If you've updated your A|A|S sound packs since the v. 3 release and have projects that use those sounds, pay close attention to make sure that your A|A|S hasn't gotten too big for the mix. Easy enough to tweak with something like Sidewidener and maybe your favorite EQ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, Joakim said:

Do you have the newer versions of the hosts?

You mean the full versions of their synths? No, I didn't think that I need them, only the new version of AAS Player+banks, no? I've probably read somewhere that Erik is using only the sessions and AASPlayer with banks... @Starship Krupa do you use the major versions and have them installed to get the updated sounds?

35 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

I emailed Eric about this and he said only the Chromophone packs had been updated and that if you had the full Chromophone you could just do a new install of it.

That makes sense because the Chromaphone engine was just updated to v3 with two synth layers and new features, so they remastered and included all v2 sounds for it.

13 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

Yeah, I have 3, so I assume he was referring to a new install of 3.

But I am curious about what changed in the AAS Player, as he was reporting audible changes in the Chromaphone sound banks. I would think that would only be possible if the Player was using the Chromaphone 3 sound engine now. And would you have had to update the Player to enable that change?

I suppose there’s no harm in re-installing  the Player  as well ... (other than having to delete the multiple duplicates that are ordinarily spread over your hard drive😀)

EDIT: Actually, looking at my hard drive, it appears that the Chromophone 3 installer also installed a new AAS Player along with it. 

Edited by LAGinz
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, chris.r said:

I've probably read somewhere that Erik is using only the sessions and AASPlayer with banks... @Starship Krupa do you use the major versions and have them installed to get the updated sounds?

I only have the Sessions and Swatches/Player. Player displays the sound pack label, which is how I can tell they are the "remastered" versions:

355068264_AASPlayer.jpg.a2a2c44d8924f69f091fc3a48d1d0937.jpg