Grandparents

bjornpdx

Grandparents
My maternal grandparents lived and worked on a farm in Sweden. This is a song/slide show dedicated to them.

I wrote this song and made the slide show a couple of years ago. I've never been happy with how it turned out so I'm doing it over. This is the original soundtrack which needs some help and the images are more like placeholders until I figure out what I'm doing.

https://zenfolio.page.link/HC7W

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Thanks Douglas

My family immigrated from Sweden to the US when I was real little (I keep forgetting that I'm an immigrant).   I've been back to visit a few times and I always get a homesick feeling even though I haven't lived there in a really long time.

This was indeed a very touching tribute to your grandparents.  The pictures by themselves told a story but the music/lyrics really nailed it down.  I am sure that they would be proud of what you have done.  I have been doing a little genealogical search on my family (England, Ireland, and Scotland) and it always amazes me the courage that they must have had to leave home, often with very little, and were able  to  successfully make a new life in a new country.

Well done my friend!!

• Like 1

JohnBee
Yes, he was a beekeeper but mostly he was a dairy farmer and whatever else he could do to keep the family going. And he did a great job providing for his seven kids after my grandmother died. The farm is still there although another family owns it now, but it looks almost the same. Thanks for listening and taking the time to leave a comment.

Freddy
My wife has been doing a lot of genealogical research lately and she's found saints and scoundrels in her family going back a couple of hundred years.
Thanks again for your kind comments.

Very touching Bjorn.

I love seeing old photos and the formality compared to today's rabble :)

I spent a very pleasant few days in Sweden last year and found the people very warm and welcoming. 

Edited by daryl1968
  • Like 2

Very nostalgic song and video, Bjorn.  I'm not surprised that you have a treasure trove of pictures.  I was wondering if you are going to write a song about your recent adventure so you can share your pictures with us.  Congratulations on another fine song!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bjorn ,

I thought your slide show w music was very interesting .

Loved all the cool photo's . Your Grandparents have charisma and they seem to be naturally  photogenic .  

Have you considered / tried a narrative approach like Ken  Burns does  w zooms ?

Those picture look as if they are primed for a Ken Burns type of documentary  treatment and slide show ...

either way you slice the cake ....cool stuff,

all the best,

Kenny

• Like 1

Daryl
I'm starting to see myself in those vintage B&W photos!

Kenny
I actually do a lot of Ken Burns style editing on videos. There's a fine line there between effective and being way annoying. 😀

amiller
Bittersweet. That is a good description.  Thanks for listening.

Tom
As always, thank you for commenting.

10 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Kenny
I actually do a lot of Ken Burns style editing on videos. There's a fine line there between effective and being way annoying. 😀

Now I'm left here wondering was it me that annoyed you or was it the Ken Burns comment ???

Hey wait don't answer that ....

all the best

signed ,

Just another annoying  Ken

On 4/5/2019 at 10:01 PM, bjornpdx said:

Kenny
I just meant that the Ken Burns effect (panning and zooming on a still image) can be really distracting to the viewer if overdone. A little bit goes a long way I've learned.  You, my friend, are never annoying.

Hi Bjorn ,

I get what you are saying .

I don't keep Dramamine at home  ,but I sure could have used some on a few occasions when I have felt  some of that zooming stuff has gotten a little out of hand ...

As far as me being annoying goes ...thank you for being kind ......I take it ,  you don't hang out in The Coffee House all that much ...lol

have a good one ,

Kenny