This is going downhill

carl

15 minutes ago, sjoens said:

A lot of us experience crashes. We either don't tell anyone or get bashed over the head for being stupid when we do. 😕

Either way, I've never gone a day over the last 20 years using Sonar/Cakewalk on various platforms when it doesn't crash for some unknown reason.

I've spent entire days trying to figure out why only to have it working fine again on it's own.

It needs no reason. Daily crashes. Monthly blue screens. May be 2 reason why the professional world hasn't taken it seriously.

I don't blame it totally because bad memory, USB, and other external factors play a hand.

Beyond crashing, it loves to hang in memory and not open because I have a standalone VSTi already open. Closing the VSTi and reopening CbB/Sonar does not work. The entire system has to be shut down and rebooted first. 😕😕

I still prefer it over other DAWs!

Yeah. Because we all know Pro Fools never crashes....

16 hours ago, sjoens said:

A lot of us experience crashes. We either don't tell anyone or get bashed over the head for being stupid when we do. 😕

Either way, I've never gone a day over the last 20 years using Sonar/Cakewalk on various platforms when it doesn't crash for some unknown reason.

I've spent entire days trying to figure out why only to have it working fine again on it's own.

It needs no reason. Daily crashes. Monthly blue screens. May be 2 reason why the professional world hasn't taken it seriously.

I don't blame it totally because bad memory, USB, and other external factors play a hand.

Beyond crashing, it loves to hang in memory and not open because I have a standalone VSTi already open. Closing the VSTi and reopening CbB/Sonar does not work. The entire system has to be shut down and rebooted first. 😕😕

I still prefer it over other DAWs!

GarageBand is probably the most stable DAW in existence. That doesn't mean it's the best. 

19 hours ago, Craig Reeves said:

Cakewalk crashes at least once every session. Sometimes multiple times in one session. I use Ableton on just a regular of a basis on project just as big and it hasn't crashed in weeks.

If its crashing once per session I can almost guarantee you that its a plugin related problem. Have you submitted crash dumps so we can verify the cause?

On 1/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, Shane_B. said:

The only criticism I have about CbB and Assistant is it seems to have disabled my legitimate (not stolen or hacked) copy of X2 and it seems to have removed some older plugins I heavily relied on that came with X2. They completely vanished from my system during one of the updates and every time I try to open X2 nothing happens.

I don't miss X2 but hopefully it's something I did inadvertently to remove the VST's, but I can't imagine what. I still have direct X plugins I use. I never delete anything.

But as for download speed and startup speed I have zero problems. I too only recently got high speed internet out in the country. 30Mb Down/20 Mb Up. It's never taken me any more than a 2 or 3 minutes to update CbB.

This is impossible. Cbb and BA have no connection to prior versions of Cakewalk.

It is rock solid for me, can't even remember the last time anything crashed and/or hanged etc. I guess there are many variables that come into play with any software such as other programs installed, the hardware, plugins etc. Anyway, sorry t o hear you are having so many issues and I am glad I see none of them ( know on wood ) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This is impossible. Cbb and BA have no connection to prior versions of Cakewalk.

Never say never. 😁

It may be time for a fresh install of some things but I'm afraid to because I always struggled with getting things registered and activated. I still use Dim Pro and Rapture and both stopped working outside of CbB and Rapture won't work in CbB anymore either on my system. X2 won't even open now so I just assumed it was some sort of conflict with CbB. I don't have any desire to use X2, I'm just worried if I uninstall it I may inadvertently uninstall other things that came with it that I still use. But yeah, it hasn't opened in a very long time. I double click the shortcut or directly on the .exe and nothing happens.

Fwiw, it all worked when I built this PC 5 years ago and it had Windows 10 on it then, but Windows 10 has changed a lot and the things I'm running in to could very well be related to it.

Those are just minor things and I can't say enough good about CbB. After all these years and having so many options out there it's still my favorite DAW to use. I'm happy you're still here and it's still going strong. And you can't beat the free part either!

Edit: P.S. I found the FX Vst's that were missing. I had forgotten that they are disabled by default. I found them and they are working great.

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Like 1

Haven't seen a crash in sonar/cakewalk in years. Most crashes I see when helping the people  I tutor have ultimately to do with their interface drivers. The short time I used my 11 rack as interface, I was getting BSODs quite often. Since I switched to a RME interface many years ago, I've not experienced practically any.

It may be , however, that CW is more sensitive to driver issues than other software. The only way that I can consistently make my system crash is if change the interface buffer size to 64 or 32 while CW is open.  When I set the driver so low, I need to do that with CW closed. 

Edited by Cristiano Sadun
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

It may be , however, that CW is more sensitive to driver issues than other software.

This may be the case as I don't have near the issues with other programs or DAWs.

I suspect the more exclusive and "professional" your set up is the fewer issues you'll have.

Mine is a budget system used for everything I do so I expect trouble now and then.

Edited by sjoens

18 hours ago, bdickens said:

Yeah. Because we all know Pro Fools never crashes....

Pro Tools is TRASH. It is not a good DAW. So many aspects of Pro Tools and the workflow is extremely outdated. The audio editing features aren't THAT much better than Cakewalk, but there are so many things that are worse. I only use it because that's where recording sessions come from as they are usually recorded in a commercial studio that uses ProTools HD. I'm proficient in Pro Tools and Ableton as I use them both daily.

Ableton is good but my God it is overrated AF for production. the UI is dated, lacks several key features other DAWs have and the piano roll just plain sucks (it's per-clip rather than per-track.....Cakewalk abandoned that with SONAR 1, c'mon Ableton...). And no comping AND NO REAL STEP RECORDING (jeezus, Ableton what gives). Warp is cool but Cakewalk's timestretching, while certainly no where near as good, can get the job done most of the time if you know how to use it. I honestly think the only reason Ableton is so popular is because it comes with SO much out of the box, and not only that, famous people use it, and that really came from the live performance features...Ableton is second to none when it comes to live performance no doubt. I know Ableton very very well, Cakewalk is better for production all-around. I have not used Logic in many years so I can't speak on Logic. 

That said, Cakewalk is buggier than both those DAWs.

Edited by Craig Reeves
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 11:33 AM, Craig Reeves said:

I swear Cakewalk would be the best DAW in the world by far if it didn't crash so often and didn't have so many bugs. It really is the smartest and intuitive workflow there is overall....when it works. It certainly hangs and crashes far more than Pro Tools and Ableton do, but it's certainly better than both those DAWs in many other respects.

Yes and Piano roll is best of all already : ) Totally agree. Many don't know about Cakewalk Matrix view etc. they say ableon session view good feature etc. but in Cakewalk also mostly have these all features what other DAWS have and much more : ) When i started use Cakewalk I forgot about Studio one and FL studio and Cubase because in that DAWS i feeled uncomfortable. Now in Cakewalk i feel best. I like also updates i waqit updates everytime like a my favorite sports team goal : ) Ihave deep feeling about Cakewalk will become best DAW of all because also community very good . I feel  also this DAW team is expierenced and know what they doing and know what features are more important.

Edited by solarlux
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:33 PM, Craig Reeves said:

I swear Cakewalk would be the best DAW in the world by far if it didn't crash so often and didn't have so many bugs. It really is the smartest and intuitive workflow there is overall....when it works. It certainly hangs and crashes far more than Pro Tools and Ableton do...

Craig, now that I read your post, mentioned so often, again I started wondering if Cakewalk crashes in your case aren't from an old ProTools driver that's getting installed with it, clashing with Cakewalk. I recon reading about it some time ago, I'll try to find the right info or maybe someone will chime in with the link.

EDIT: I think I've found it:

Edited by chris.r

Carl is a drive-by troll.

Joined in Dec 2019. Claims to have been using Cakewalk since Patton was a Second Lieutenant, but the OP was his first and only post and he hasn't been back since.

He only came here to bitch. No real question, just rhetorical gripes. People looking for help have actual questions and check back in to see if they were answered.

• Like 1

It bears repeating, if you are having crashes and don’t report them with dump files to allow us to analyze them there is a low chance of the issues being fixed because the chances of us guessing are next to zero.
If you have an issue that is system specific or intermittent then capture the crash dump and submit it.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

Carl is a drive-by troll.

Joined in Dec 2019. Claims to have been using Cakewalk since Patton was a Second Lieutenant, but the OP was his first and only post and he hasn't been back since.

He only came here to bitch. No real question, just rhetorical gripes. People looking for help have actual questions and check back in to see if they were answered.

This I have to 100% agree.  Especially now that CbB is free and the Baker's are on this board helping us.  Really if you have a problem submit a report. Yes there will always be a small % that can't be resolved a particular system but most of the issues have a work around. 

• Like 1

Would it be a good idea to include an easy crash dump submit feature in CbB, at least for dumps that are on disk already?

You could select a dump to submit from a (hopefully short!) list of dumps sorted by descending timestamp, type in a short description of what was going on at the time. The feature would then zip the dump and toss it over to a predefined location in the cloud where the Bakers could access them. Authentication would connect the dump directly to the originator.

10 minutes ago, petemus said:

Would it be a good idea to include an easy crash dump submit feature in CbB, at least for dumps that are on disk already?

idk, it would require some additional code added to the DAW so it could automatically perform for us tedious tasks that otherwise we can do manually... i.e. when I have a loosely recorded MIDI track that I want to turn into a perfect legato, instead of looking for a complicated DAW features I simply edit each note manually, right? easy peasy ;)