Split a wave\mp3 file

Pathfinder

if it's a single recording - import into the first audio track. then split it so you have a second or two before and after each performance. drag the song parts to new tracks (keep it aligned with original performance may be desired). then copy all the in-between stuff - appluase, talking to the crowd etc into another track to you can adjust it later (for example you might like to tweak the applause and speaking bits with reverb, levels, eq, etc so it seems like the entire original set).

now bounce each track to clip. this trims them and also create separate audio files. close the project.

now you can use your favorite audio editor to reduce noise, clicks, pops, etc etc. depending on the tool, you could adjust from individual levels (master rebalance - Izotope). i recently used RX7 and Ozone 9 on my "work" band gig (6 piece band) at stationary bike event which had a lot of reverberation and noise going on in the room and it cleaned it up pretty well. ymmv.

once done - re-open the project and do what you like to each track. i would create some busses like "acoustic" "electric" "audience" etc to feed overall levels and shaping depending on the content. 

finally you can export the individual tracks as desired or "create an album" track - trimming audience bits etc to get a good flow if there isn't one already.

• Thanks 1

In aWave editing app like Sound forge the workflow is probably more simple. It’s what wave editor are for.  
load the file ( make sure you have a second back up in case you screw up )

Step 1- find the end of first song  and using the keystrokes highlight to the end of the whole track and delete. In Wave Lab this is Shift/End/Delete. Not sure about SF. 
now you have just the first song so using Save As renaming it to that song and I would put 1- in front of it. 
In Wave Lab I can now hit Undo and this brings the whole track back. If not just re load the original 

Step 2 - My cursor should still be at the end of the first song and using Shift/Home /Delete which will highlight from this spot to the beginning and deletes  first song.
This leaves from song 2 until the end of the track.  Now go to the end of the second song  and replete step 1.  Now you have only song 2. 
Save as 2- Name of song 

Hit undo once to undo last delete  and now  replete step 2 and so on 

InWave lab I can do what you want in about 5 minutes. I would also be removing between song junk unless you actually want it. I always just do a quick fade on the applause 3 seconds gets the point across.

My live recording was done mostly off the board to some sort of high quality recording device like Dat  I used them to critique my mixing  skills  about all that was needed was to Normalize  which I tended to just do after I edited each track and made sure the applause was not the loudest level  this can happen with quieter folk or classical performances  

Done thousands of these as when I was doing sound I always recorded the shows. I always let the performers know and offer the recording for a small fee. I have never abused the unspoken rule that these tracks belong to the artist and are never to be used in any way without their permission  

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1