Cutoff button zeroed in Cakewalk/Kontakt

Anders Madsen

I'm recording four chords in Kontakt/Hybrid keys.
All is ok on the first playback. But when the track ends, the cutoff knob in Hybrid keys are automatically set to zero.
And it remain this way on next playback, resulting in no sound.
A workaround is to touch the mod wheel (Komplete kontrol A61) when starting new playback. 
This is not a Native instruments function, (according to NI)
Does anyone know how I can get rid of this behaviour?

Edited by Moxica

I noticed this as well.

Having modulation at zero making cutoff freq = zero is a totally mental decision. Modulation at zero is the default position (as is actually having some sound coming out).

Why on earth did NI not make it work in reverse?

My workaround was to insert a CC# 1 (modulation) = 127 at the very beginning of the  MIDI Event List.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Like 2

There's a downside to disabling the zero-controllers option, which is why it's an option in the first place. Weird stuff can happen if you don't zero controllers when playback stops, such as restarting playback and the sustain pedal is stuck down (resulting in stuck notes), or an instrument playing out of tune because of where the pitch wheel was last set.

For this reason, I combat the Kontakt modwheel problem using msmcleod's method of inserting a CC1 event at the start of the track. It's a small bother, but the problem mostly affects orchestral libraries that I'm probably going to add CC1 events to anyway.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I noticed this as well.

Having modulation at zero making cutoff freq = zero is a totally mental decision. Modulation at zero is the default position (as is actually having some sound coming out).

Why on earth did NI not make it work in reverse?

My workaround was to insert a CC# 1 (modulation) = 127 at the very beginning of the  MIDI Event List.

I was going to suggest this as well. Its very strange that a standard zero controller MIDI CC value would change sound 🙂
Someone there hasn't used MIDI hardware CC's much haha.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2019 at 12:32 AM, bitflipper said:

There's a downside to disabling the zero-controllers option, which is why it's an option in the first place. Weird stuff can happen if you don't zero controllers when playback stops, such as restarting playback and the sustain pedal is stuck down (resulting in stuck notes), or an instrument playing out of tune because of where the pitch wheel was last set.

For this reason, I combat the Kontakt modwheel problem using msmcleod's method of inserting a CC1 event at the start of the track. It's a small bother, but the problem mostly affects orchestral libraries that I'm probably going to add CC1 events to anyway.

How to insert a Cc1 event? I tried to do it in Piano roll view by adding a controler (Modulation)that is located just above the velocities of the notes. But after doing this the notes will play only with a constant velocity no matter how high or low i set the value of it. Am i doing anything wrong or how to insert cc1 value? 

1 hour ago, Sonified Music said:

How to insert a Cc1 event? I tried to do it in Piano roll view by adding a controler (Modulation)that is located just above the velocities of the notes. But after doing this the notes will play only with a constant velocity no matter how high or low i set the value of it. Am i doing anything wrong or how to insert cc1 value? 

I normally use the Event View, and insert it right at the top of the list.

16 hours ago, Sonified Music said:

...I tried to do it in Piano roll view by adding a controler (Modulation)that is located just above the velocities of the notes. But after doing this the notes will play only with a constant velocity no matter how high or low i set the value of it. Am i doing anything wrong or how to insert cc1 value? 

You're not doing anything wrong. I'd guess it's a quirk of the instrument you're using. One of my absolute favorite libraries is Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra because it sounds so good, but the way it deals with CC1 is frustratingly inconsistent.

I am using Hybrid keys library in kontakt. It's really illogical and frustrating sometimes. Just knowing that its not just you other people tol are facing this, just ensures you that its just the technology not you or your process. Thanks 😊

Edited by Sonified Music

On 6/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, bitflipper said:

You're not doing anything wrong. I'd guess it's a quirk of the instrument you're using. One of my absolute favorite libraries is Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra because it sounds so good, but the way it deals with CC1 is frustratingly inconsistent.

I am using Hybrid keys library in kontakt. It's really illogical and frustrating sometimes. Just knowing that its not just you other people tol are facing this, just ensures you that its just the technology not you or your process. Thanks 😊