Tracktion Waveform 2021 Preview

cclarry

I really like tracktion Waveform, but I stopped using it because of a plugin latency compensation bug on the sidechains, which gives funny results for example when using phase alignment plugins.

I hope they fix it on this release. It's one of the two windows DAWs that support the Mackie C4 (the other one is CbB 😁), and Logic ProX on Mac.

9 hours ago, Paul Young said:

You also pay more if you skip a version.

I'm guessing it's not more than the cost of two (or more) upgrades from the previous version though? e.g. cost of v9-v11 upgrade < (cost of v9-v10 upgrade + v10-v11 upgrade).

I've used the paid version of Waveform since v8, plus the free versions of Tracktion 6 & 7. Once you're in with the paid version, upgrade pricing is quite reasonable, especially if you are patient enough to wait for it to go on sale. :)

Nice to see that the free version is now using the same code base as the current release, instead of past versions.

They seem to be developing nicely... however, this is one of the most distracting DAWs that I've ever laid eyes on.  A massive explosion of loud color.  The UI has these panels that are (seem?) very cluttered.  I just couldn't concentrate working in this DAW.  Half of the plugins look like wireframe diagrams, to me, Lol.

Doesn't seem to be changing in this version.

I do agree that the price is... suspect... at least in terms of the move up to Pro; particularly when juxtaposed against prices for products like FL Studio and Mixcraft (depending on the type of producer buying the DAW).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

particularly when juxtaposed against prices for products like FL Studio and Mixcraft (depending on the type of producer buying the DAW).

I don't even use Mixcraft anymore, but the update was only $29 so I'm current.  If they ever get their midi routing worked out I'd probably switch back from S1.

On 1/24/2021 at 4:52 PM, abacab said:

Nice to see that the free version is now using the same code base as the current release, instead of past versions.

According to the creator, he figured that he earns more money licensing the DAW technology than effectively selling it, so maintaining two different codebases was not cost effective.

It's also one of the three DAWs that have native Linux versions. The other two being Bitwig and REAPER. Mixbus doesn't count because it's just Ardour with some proprietary fluff on top.