Microsoft Edge

Moray

Question

20 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Moray said:

Hi I just installed the latest Cakewalk 2021.01. When it was installing itself, half way through it started to install Microsoft Edge and Webview - Is this part of Cakewalk now ? What is it for?

It's required for the Single Sign On functionality, to allow Cakewalk to sign into BandLab to authorise without the need for BandLab assistant.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

It's required for the Single Sign On functionality, to allow Cakewalk to sign into BandLab to authorise without the need for BandLab assistant.

Thanks for the quick feedback. So can I un-install the edge, webview and Visual C++ (installed at the same time) and continue with Bandlab assistant ? I use Firefox and don't like installing un-necessary software, as my PC is old, full and slow.

If you don't want the edge browser forced down your throat you can remove it by running this as administrator:

cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\8*\Installer
setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level

Cakewalk runs fine without it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help on this. On principle I have always de-installed any software I haven't specifically asked for. I object to Microsoft installing Edge, Skype and numerous other bloatware I will never use without asking. If Edge is recommended I will keep it I guess.

I would recommend that Bandlab should make this clear in their update notes though.

One of the issues I have had with Edge over the years is that MS will change my preferred default Browser to Edge without any regard to my personal preferences. (Surprise!)  I found that by uninstalling Edge, this stopped. @msmcleod Are you saying that if I want to avoid problems with Cakewalk I should stop uninstalling Edge? If so, is it OK to keep changing my default browser (or will that mess with Cakewalk, too)?  Thanks.

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I still wouldn't recommend this though, as it's likely that Cakewalk may leverage new browser based features (based on WebView/Edge) in the future.

For example, the Start Screen currently uses a older version of the Chrome Embedded Framework.  Updating CEF to the latest version every release is time-consuming and prone to introducing new bugs (they change the interface often). As the Edge components are updated automatically during Windows Update, it ensures the latest security patches are being applied.  Microsoft have been pretty good in the past at ensuring their IE interface stays stable for older apps, so I'd expect WebView to continue to work without any changes required within Cakewalk.

Is Microsoft paying Bandlab to distribute their crapware?

If the Cakewalk engineers decided to make it dependent on a browser, I would lose a lot of respect for them.

Edited by RobertWS

3 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

However, I'm loving the great photos that pop up each time I W10 starts up . . . 

I only get those "great photos" when Windows 10 refuses to shut down when I click "Shut Down" (or Update and Shut Down) but instead goes to Standby / Sleep mode. :P Seriously, now that I think about it, the appearance of those photos are probably an alarm that Windows has changed my preferences and I need to go through my checklists yet again.

I totally get that Microsoft wants to do things like rearrange my desktop icons, change display settings, undo my HDD extended partition configuration, reset my power settings, etc. However, I do not have to like it.  Maybe I will check out the Collections sometime.

Edited by User 905133
edits

3 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

. However, Edge is a part of Windows 10 the way the Apple browser is a part of all Apple OS's.

Nope.  Netscape sued Microsoft and won over this exact issue..   A browser is a separate application.  That is why there is still competition.

Visual C++ isn't installed - it's just the latest Visual C++ runtime components that are installed. These are required by Cakewalk.

The Edge browser is now part of the Windows OS, and was included in a previous Windows 10 update (and also the last Windows 7 update).  It's part of Microsoft's strategy to deprecate Internet Explorer which has security issues.  AFAIK, only the required parts of Edge are downloaded.

WebView is a Microsoft component to allow access to parts of the Edge browser, in order to embed browser capability in 3rd party applications. It's used as a replacement for the old Internet Explorer ActiveX control.

For a time Windows may fall back to using Internet Explorer, but as it's deprecated, there's no telling for how long.

As such, we don't recommend uninstalling either the Edge or WebView.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

If you don't want the edge browser forced down your throat you can remove it by running this as administrator:

cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\8*\Installer
setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level

Cakewalk runs fine without it.

I still wouldn't recommend this though, as it's likely that Cakewalk may leverage new browser based features (based on WebView/Edge) in the future.

For example, the Start Screen currently uses a older version of the Chrome Embedded Framework.  Updating CEF to the latest version every release is time-consuming and prone to introducing new bugs (they change the interface often). As the Edge components are updated automatically during Windows Update, it ensures the latest security patches are being applied.  Microsoft have been pretty good in the past at ensuring their IE interface stays stable for older apps, so I'd expect WebView to continue to work without any changes required within Cakewalk.

• Like 1

And if I have Windows 10 LTSC in which Microsoft Edge is not installed and will not be available through automatic updates, then why does the Cakewalk installer install Microsoft Edge Update on my system? It turns out there is no browser itself, but updates for it are checked ...

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

One of the issues I have had with Edge over the years is that MS will change my preferred default Browser to Edge without any regard to my personal preferences. (Surprise!)  I found that by uninstalling Edge, this stopped. @msmcleod Are you saying that if I want to avoid problems with Cakewalk I should stop uninstalling Edge? If so, is it OK to keep changing my default browser (or will that mess with Cakewalk, too)?  Thanks.

As far as I know, it doesn't install the full Edge browser, although to be honest I'm not sure - I wasn't involved in the development of this feature, and I've already got Edge installed.

Cakewalk certainly won't change your default browser... I can't speak for Microsoft.

FWIW, we're just running the Microsoft WebView2 installer. This obviously requires some Edge components.

• Thanks 2

I don't have a dog in this fight, but FWIW, I think that some people are getting their shorts in a bind for no good reason. We have bigger fish to fry.

I sympathize because I generally feel the same way. However, Edge is a part of Windows 10 the way the Apple browser is a part of all Apple OS's. And, some kind of web access functionality is required to monitor for and install updates. Using Edge on Windows 10 systems seems like a no brainer IMHO because it's the most likely to work flawlessly with W10 on a continual basis.

I've always avoided Windows browsers and use Firefox, their VPN and duckduckgo. I hate being spied on. However, I'm loving the great photos that pop up each time I W10 starts up and use Edge to download the ones I really like. I've also developed an affinity for the Edge Collections button for keeping track and organizing the dozens of tabs I seem unable to close.🙄 Now I use two browsers, Firefox for browsing trying to keep the number tabs to a dozen and Edge for paging through my collections.

33 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

Nope.  Netscape sued Microsoft and won over this exact issue..   A browser is a separate application.  That is why there is still competition.

Thanks, that's true. I remember it. Insert "for all practical purposes" between "Edge is" and "a part of Windows..." in my statement.

On 1/23/2021 at 6:56 AM, msmcleod said:

The ability for a developer to exploit something that he expects to be there is commonplace. It is why so much software defaults to install on the C:\ drive, which is always present on a standard Windows system. Of course not everything expected is always there, in which case the developer would do well to include it in his own installation,  which is why your computer probably has at least a dozen versions of the Visual C runtimes.