Bounce track in place

Light Grenade

It'd be nice to bounce tracks in place rather than going tracks > bounce to tracks, and then the resultant file ending up on a new track. 

If I use auto align or Hornet normalizer I like to bounce before continuing on with the mix. I know I could add the track to the clip and bounce, but it's much faster copying plugins across a lot of tracks. 

Something like 'Bounce track in place and hide original'

No because freeze is non-destructive. Although it is possible to freeze a track one time and re-enable the PC and FX rack for additional processing.  To retain a frozen track and enable freezing again requires copying the frozen tracks somewhere before thawing the track to re-enable the freeze option.

One may repeatedly apply effects which destructively applies effects in place. 

On 1/24/2021 at 5:27 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Freezing deactivates the FX Rack and ProChannel. There's a way to keep the freeze by Freezing, then selecting "Bounce to Clips".

You can actually bounce the track from the top menu in the clip pane.
Select the clip you want to bounce (extend it a bit to keep any reverb that you might have) and select track , under which we have bounce to tracks. And we can literally bounce the clip into an audio track in a new audio track.

1 minute ago, AdK Studios said:

You can actually bounce the track from the top menu in the clip pane.
Select the clip you want to bounce (extend it a bit to keep any reverb that you might have) and select track , under which we have bounce to tracks. And we can literally bounce the clip into an audio track in a new audio track.

I know, but that's not bouncing in place. That's rendering to another track. Bouncing in place renders whatever you have set up on the track to a new audio clip that replaces the current one, then resets the track to its default state. CbB doesn't do that in a way you'd expect it to do. The closest is to do what I described, which still requires you to manually remove plugins or reset them afterwards.

22 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

I know, but that's not bouncing in place. That's rendering to another track. Bouncing in place renders whatever you have set up on the track to a new audio clip that replaces the current one, then resets the track to its default state. CbB doesn't do that in a way you'd expect it to do. The closest is to do what I described, which still requires you to manually remove plugins or reset them afterwards.

Just turn off track FX in the freeze options. No need to remove or reset plugins.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Turn the ProChannel off, do the freeze, turn it back on again.

Sure, except that won't print the settings I put the in the freeze and I don't want them there after the freeze+bounce. Is it so difficult to add an option to reset those two of you bounce the freeze or maybe have an actual bounce in place option?

On 1/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Freezing deactivates the FX Rack and ProChannel. There's a way to keep the freeze by Freezing, then selecting "Bounce to Clips".

Another idea: If you still want to use the track FX and ProChannel, but bounce some FX to a new clip, why not insert your FX that should be included in the clip into the clip FX rack? Then you can just bounce to clip and this FX is included without blocking the track FX and ProChannel.

1 minute ago, marled said:

Another idea: If you still want to use the track FX and ProChannel, but bounce some FX to a new clip, why not insert your FX that should be included in the clip into the clip FX rack? Then you can just bounce to clip and this FX is included without blocking the track FX and ProChannel.

That's not the problem. The problem is that this "bounce in place" method is not ideal and it's cumbersome.

Bounce in place should work like this:

- Render the audio processing clip, track and pro channel effects. An option to ignore volume fader settings could be ideal, but not necessary.

- Replace the original clip with the rendered one.

- Remove all effects from the plugin and reset ProChannel to its default state.

This is essentially the same as Bounce to Tracks except it doesn't create new tracks.

The current workaround has the following problems:

- You still have the plugins used in the freeze process in the fx rack after you bounce the track.

- Your ProChannel settings are the same as before the freeze.

- You have to manually remove plugins from the rack.

- ProChannel doesn't have a global reset parameter, so you have to reset each module manually.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

That's not the problem. The problem is that this "bounce in place" method is not ideal and it's cumbersome.

- Render the audio processing clip, track and pro channel effects. An option to ignore volume fader settings could be ideal, but not necessary.

This is essentially the same as Bounce to Tracks except it doesn't create new tracks.

- You still have the plugins used in the freeze process in the fx rack after you bounce the track.

- ProChannel doesn't have a global reset parameter, so you have to reset each module manually.

You are right that my proposal (clip FX rack) does not handle ProChannel modules, but for other plugins it does actually what you want, because after the bounce to clip the clip FX rack is empty!

On 1/23/2021 at 2:13 AM, Light Grenade said:

It'd be nice to bounce tracks in place rather than going tracks > bounce to tracks, and then the resultant file ending up on a new track. 

It will be available in the next release of the Cakefolk™. Stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Yep, my thoughts exactly. 

The other issue with using the clip fx rack is that you can't quickly copy one plugin across every clip/track quickly, and accessing each plugin requires more clicks. 

An example what I want to do is place HoRNet TheNormalizer on each track, set my target to -18dBFS, run the track and plugin analysis and bounce every track in place. The result is perfectly normalized audio with no plugins eating CPU, which is important on big sessions. Noise reduction and console/ tape emulation are another two processes that could benefit from this. 

The freezing solution is a slightly messy workaround, and bounce to tracks makes the process very time consuming, especially when you have a lot of tracks. Ideally, this should take three clicks, or two clicks with Alt+A a custom key binding. 

15 minutes ago, Light Grenade said:

An example what I want to do is place HoRNet TheNormalizer on each track, set my target to -18dBFS, run the track and plugin analysis and bounce every track in place. The result is perfectly normalized audio with no plugins eating CPU, which is important on big sessions. Noise reduction and console/ tape emulation are another two processes that could benefit from this. 

Process > Apply Effects > Audio Effects does this

• Like 1