2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

On 2/8/2021 at 7:48 AM, Glenn Stanton said:

it's linear while the levels are not hitting the top or bottom levels, after which it is proportional, but within range, the relationships stay the same (for me). the example below - originally 0db, -4db, -2db; drag down 0db to -2db, and the -4=-6db, -2=-4db. so for me it's operating like i would expect.

image.png.0ae575e0094aee6d1e93d31dbf3f0e2e.png

I don't think this is what @micv meant. I too find the way the envelope works in CbB to be annoying.

To be clear: there's nothing wrong with it's functionality, it works as it's suppose to.

When you select multiple nodes to move at once. There are times it does not move simultaneously in value and find that it's off by 0.2dB, OR, 0.1dB, which i find odd. I developed the habbit to check each and every node properties, to make sure their values are the same. It's frustrating when this happens later in the mix when you make changes. Then there's also those times when it moves nodes that was not selected - making changes to nodes at the top, when you're changing values at the bottom of the envelope. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

When you select multiple nodes to move at once. There are times it does not move simultaneously in value and find that it's off by 0.2dB, OR, 0.1dB, which i find odd.

@Will, This exactly.  

Relative level are then off in random spots, so now after moving the entire envelope, I have to go back and check every segment

@Glenn.  Thanks for checking, it occurs when you have more nodes/segments than in your example.  In practice I typically could have a dozen or so segments, and if I ride the volume automation, there could be a lot more.

originally when i saw this a created two tracks with about 30 nodes over the course of 10 or measures of different widths and levels. the relationships stayed the same until i had one or more levels get to the max or min levels, then the proportional thing happens. i'll try some more testing - maybe it's happening when the level shifts are smaller than 1db?

On 2/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

I think I'm over worked.

New update seems to restrict users from routing "Audio Track" inputs to an instrument output when playing the track.

If it's stopped, routing is possible.

Not sure if my memory is serving me correctly (Middle Age,) but i'm pretty sure this was possible while in playing mode up until 2020.11

I started noticing this since the release of the first 2021.01 test and hotfix releases

Um no changes here, its done this since the SONAR days or earlier. We disallow changing instrument track input ports while playback is underway since there is a lot of rewiring that has to happen. Its not something that most users need to do.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Um no changes here, its done this since the SONAR days or earlier. We disallow changing instrument track input ports while playback is underway since there is a lot of rewiring that has to happen. Its not something that most users need to do.

Oh. 😊 

So there's no way this might change in the future? 

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

originally when i saw this a created two tracks with about 30 nodes over the course of 10 or measures of different widths and levels. the relationships stayed the same until i had one or more levels get to the max or min levels, then the proportional thing happens. i'll try some more testing - maybe it's happening when the level shifts are smaller than 1db?

For some reason they are independent when all selected even though they move together. 

I checked the reason why its disabled. Is because you have set it up for "Allow arm changes during playback/record" but you have "Exclude synth inputs" checked. If you either disable allow arm changes or uncheck exclude synth inputs it will allow you to change inputs while playing. This is by design.

See below.

image.png

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I checked the reason why its disabled. Is because you have set it up for "Allow arm changes during playback/record" but you have "Exclude synth inputs" checked. If you either disable allow arm changes or uncheck exclude synth inputs it will allow you to change inputs while playing. This is by design.

See below.

image.png

Thanks @Noel Borthwick Dont know how that happened. I never select this feature. Seems to work fine again. ☺

5 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

For some reason they are independent when all selected even though they move together. 

hmmm. i'm not seeing it vary in relationship until i hit the min/max points then they start to shift. i just tried it with about 40 points, varying 8th note to 2 measures, ±0.6db, ±1.1db, ±2.3db etc to see if odd values or smaller relationships were a factor. i did not use any slopes, just straight up and down shifts on the volume envelope.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

hmmm. i'm not seeing it vary in relationship until i hit the min/max points then they start to shift. i just tried it with about 40 points, varying 8th note to 2 measures, ±0.6db, ±1.1db, ±2.3db etc to see if odd values or smaller relationships were a factor. i did not use any slopes, just straight up and down shifts on the volume envelope.

I found that it's readily reproducible when the nodes are down below the -12 -18 -24 vertical ruler.  Now some nodes values are more than 1 db off.  The visual shape of the envelop remains the same however.  The issue looks to me then the envelope not calculated correctly or relatively to scale with the display.  Meaning you make a one db change in the region between 0 and -6db,  move it down to the region -18 -24, the shape of the envelope remains the same so the -1 db change is now cover something like 2db graphically.  hope it makes sense.

Hi guys , first : Thanks for bandlab team , i have a problem and question , Is it possible to change the color of the vertical line of the playlist?

For example, if the vertical line is almost lost when I turn the background white , It's weird, I can even change the color of aim assist line , but not this ruler  and  Of course, I think his name is now time marker

If this control is added to the colors section, it will be very good ,Thanks

line.JPG.add474218a9fd1b408dc801805ffcc38.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, micv said:

I found that it's readily reproducible when the nodes are down below the -12 -18 -24 vertical ruler.  Now some nodes values are more than 1 db off.  The visual shape of the envelop remains the same however.  The issue looks to me then the envelope not calculated correctly or relatively to scale with the display.  Meaning you make a one db change in the region between 0 and -6db,  move it down to the region -18 -24, the shape of the envelope remains the same so the -1 db change is now cover something like 2db graphically.  hope it makes sense.

ok. so it looks like a logarithmic scale (as shown on the meter) is being applied to the automation envelop. if i have something at -9db and bring the entire level down 4db, i would expect it to be 13db, not -15.9db (i don't think the gross movement of the automation line should be using db math, but rather linear math since we're talking db to db.  dbFS (or equiv) math would be linear, whereas representing db from voltage or power it would be logarithmic) @Noel Borthwick @msmcleod

db voltage = 20 Log(v1/v2) or power = 10 Log(p1/p2)

image.png.02d08fa4fd70283b72f64b7afa217a2b.png

playing a bit more - the automation (see video clip) shows the levels changing as expected in the meters, but the levels shown in the envelope line are wrong...

2021-02-09 14-37-00.mkv

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

ok. so it looks like a logarithmic scale (as shown on the meter) is being applied to the automation envelop. if i have something at -9db and bring the entire level down 4db, i would expect it to be 13db, not -15.9db (i don't think the gross movement of the automation line should be using db math, but rather linear math since we're talking db to db.  dbFS (or equiv) math would be linear, whereas representing db from voltage or power it would be logarithmic) @Noel Borthwick @msmcleod

db voltage = 20 Log(v1/v2) or power = 10 Log(p1/p2)

image.png.02d08fa4fd70283b72f64b7afa217a2b.png

playing a bit more - the automation (see video clip) shows the levels changing as expected in the meters, but the levels shown in the envelope line are wrong...

2021-02-09 14-37-00.mkv 1.49 MB · 2 downloads

Exactly. 

On 2/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, Will_Kaydo said:

I don't think this is what @micv meant. I too find the way the envelope works in CbB to be annoying.

I agree with your envelope observations and thoughts!

Adjusting an entire envelope up/down should be easier, and since I am in a wishing mood, it should be easier to do it in smaller increments (maybe increase resolution with a controller key pressed?) and it should be clear how much you offset it. 😁 Oh, and I would also like more envelope shapes. :)

Edited by GreenLight
  • Like 2

Insert Instrument track behavior

When selected from the track context menu, the Insert Instrument command now inserts the instrument before the current track rather than after the last track. The Add Track button and Insert > Soft Synth command will continue to append after the last track.

image.png.c71de3886adf5235f9b1bac647efbbf6.png

Edited by User 905133
to reduce image size