2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

2 hours ago, scook said:

The old "Cakewalk Launchpad.exe" did not use shortcuts.

The new "Launchpad.exe" is a shortcut created by "CbB Tools.exe" to run Launchpad without starting up "CbB Tools.exe" first.

There is no confusing the old version with the new one. They are visually very different.

If you have any more questions about Launchpad here is the dedicated thread for CbB Tools including Launchpad  

It seems to me there is no risk running the most current version of CbB from the desktop shortcut, since that DLL is not even on my C drive its on my E drive. I assume when I got the crash I had Launchpad open and that DLL was still in memory from the older version. Do you agree?

So in the future when I do this should I always end the testing by opening the current version in Launchpad to make sure it's using the correct DLL?

I have no idea what series of events cause the error.

While I have seen the old version fail, it never failed silently. There was always an error message thrown by Launchpad.

That said, I rarely run the DAW outside of Launchpad.

It does not matter where CbB is installed.

As long as it was installed  correctly, the registry holds the path to the shared utilities folder used by all Cakewalk DAWs and CbB.

If one attempts to have any Cakewalk DAWs and CbB installed on different drives, there will be problems.

Running the current version of CbB from Launchpad before exiting should write the current cw130auto.dll is into shared utilities.

When the cw130auto.dll is out of sync with CbB, it can crash the DAW.

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Most likely somehow launchpad ended up partially copying some files because the program was still running or had not exited. 

It should check before doing anything if the program is already running.

Running our uninstaller would not have caused the issue you had.

You're right, Noel, Launchpad was still running when I opened 2021.01, so that's why the cw130auto was the wrong version. The only time I ever use Launchpad is to run an old version to check a possible bug. It's been months since I've run it

. Actually the crashes have nothing to do with the original bug that I was trying to report. And rebooting the computer certainly cleared out that file from memory.

As soon as I uninstalled 2021.01, I reinstalled it and immediately tested the 2 template files and it still did not save the correct midi interface input. If you don't mind checking my 2 templates in my OneDrive. The one that says "fixed" has the correct midi input the other one has the wrong midi input. If someone has a computer with 2 midi interfaces they can check this. 

Sorry to send you down the rabbit hole with the crashes. I now know why they happened and have nothing to do with the midi input bug that only happens with 2021.01. And it's not intermittent it happens every single time.

14 hours ago, gmp said:

You're right, Noel, Launchpad was still running when I opened 2021.01, so that's why the cw130auto was the wrong version. The only time I ever use Launchpad is to run an old version to check a possible bug. It's been months since I've run it

. Actually the crashes have nothing to do with the original bug that I was trying to report. And rebooting the computer certainly cleared out that file from memory.

As soon as I uninstalled 2021.01, I reinstalled it and immediately tested the 2 template files and it still did not save the correct midi interface input. If you don't mind checking my 2 templates in my OneDrive. The one that says "fixed" has the correct midi input the other one has the wrong midi input. If someone has a computer with 2 midi interfaces they can check this. 

Sorry to send you down the rabbit hole with the crashes. I now know why they happened and have nothing to do with the midi input bug that only happens with 2021.01. And it's not intermittent it happens every single time.

I've tried both of your templates (with 2 hardware MIDI IN devices enabled) , and both end up with the MIDI tracks using exactly the same MIDI input device.

9 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I've tried both of your templates (with 2 hardware MIDI IN devices enabled) , and both end up with the MIDI tracks using exactly the same MIDI input device.

One of the templates the one that's not marked as "Fixed" was saved in 2021.01 and the midi input was correct, set for MOTU. After saving and reopening the template it showed the wrong midi input (MidiSport).

It seems your 2021.01 is seeing the correct midi input on the bad template. If yo don't mind try this: Open the template that is not marked as Fixed, change the midi input on 1 track to a different one, save that, close the file and reopen it and see if it does save it correctly. If it does, then try changing the midi input back to your other midi interface, save that and see if it is correct upon reopening the file

Thanks so much for trying this,

19 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

I can't refresh my activation. Both in app OR via the B.A

Anyone? 

I'm not sure what your post has to do with activation. In the video cakewalk is fully activated. You are getting a database error. 
The most likely cause of that error message is either you don't have a good install or something on your system is blocking the database updater.
Look in this folder C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database\Updater
You should see 2 files there. Also there should be 3 dlls in this folder. C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database

If you don't see that then something has removed those files on your PC and you will need to do a full installation again.

• Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm not sure what your post has to do with activation. In the video cakewalk is fully activated. You are getting a database error. 
The most likely cause of that error message is either you don't have a good install or something on your system is blocking the database updater.
Look in this folder C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database\Updater
You should see 2 files there. Also there should be 3 dlls in this folder. C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Shared Utilities\Database

If you don't see that then something has removed those files on your PC and you will need to do a full installation again.

If it was activated assignable plugin categories would be available. This is exactly the same as when you're not signed in / it's not the 1st time i'm running into this. 

As soon as you're activated Cakewalk opens up to full functionality and activates the assignable catergories.

Not to worry, I managed to sort this out yesterday already. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

If it was activated assignable plugin categories would be available. This is exactly the same as when you're not signed in / it's not the 1st time i'm running into this. 

As soon as you're activated Cakewalk opens up to full functionality and activates the assignable catergories.

Not to worry, I managed to sort this out yesterday already. 

You are mistaken. Plugin categories have nothing to do with activation. The categories not showing properly were because the database couldn't load the data.  Cakewalk can be in a deactivated state and plugins will show fine.
What did you do to fix it. If you reinstalled that was what solved the issue not anything else.

28 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

You are mistaken. Plugin categories have nothing to do with activation. The categories not showing properly were because the database couldn't load the data.  Cakewalk can be in a deactivated state and plugins will show fine.
What did you do to fix it. If you reinstalled that was what solved the issue not anything else.

Maybe.

I installed an old version and took it from there. Uninstall and re-installion of the 27.01.98 didn't fix it. I went 3 times through that. So I scoured my external for older versions came across a 26 build and that solved it. So i did an update through it. 

Not sure why a clean install of the 27.01.98 through the B.A couldn't fix it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 3/22/2021 at 11:34 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

So, this morning when I went into studio, switched everything on - I ran into the same issue again.

Here's the thing: this is a brand new 1TB SSD with a brand new install of Windows and so on. So I suspect this is a Windows Defender problem. 

Completely disabled Window Defender permanently. Everything works fine again after a reinstall about 5 mins ago - since sending this feedback text. 

First time:2.thumb.png.e280d0c098fa494e01b04011ca48736d.png

Second time: on an empty project.

1633210935_Annotation2021-03-26111533.thumb.png.856da836df35bf72cbb277e9fc7f9a22.png

Tried to reinstall and this is what triggered my memory that WinDef might be the cause. Disabled it and it installed properly. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.a170fd1ad255040f6590747e06f3a431.PNG

Just thought to give feedback on this issue / again - since it was solved 3/4 days ago and now happening again. 

SOLVED AGAIN. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

@Will_Kaydo - make sure Cakewalk's data files, your projects/audio folder, and any samples folders are excluded from Windows Defender.

Personally, I also exclude all my VST directories too, but then I manually virus check any free VST's I use before doing this.

Yes,  thanks on the tip. I completely disabled it with the following steps. 

1: Open Start.

2: Search for gpedit. 

3: Under ADMINISTRATIVE TENPLATES: Browse the Windows component tab and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus folder without expanding the tab. Information on the right side should pop up.

4: On the right window:  Double-click the "Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus policy." 

5: Select the Enabled option to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus. 

6: Click the Apply button.

7: Click the OK button.

Edited by Will_Kaydo

In version 2021.01 Update 1, the FX Chain controls (knobs and buttons) don't survive a project reload. When I assign plug-in parameters to a knob, the knob at first controls the parameters properly. However, after I save, close, and reload the project, the knob does not function.

I have tried this with Sonitus Delay, Sonitus EQ, and BC Free Amp by Blue Cat Audio. The result is the same.

For details on how I tested this, please see my post in the QA Forum, titled "FX Chain Controls Don't Work after Reloading Project".

If it helps, I noticed that version 2020.11 does not have this problem, but the 2021.01 original release and 2021.01 Update 1 both have the problem.

6 minutes ago, Tim Elmore said:

In version 2021.01 Update 1, the FX Chain controls (knobs and buttons) don't survive a project reload. When I assign plug-in parameters to a knob, the knob at first controls the parameters properly. However, after I save, close, and reload the project, the knob does not function.

I have tried this with Sonitus Delay, Sonitus EQ, and BC Free Amp by Blue Cat Audio. The result is the same.

For details on how I tested this, please see my post in the QA Forum, titled "FX Chain Controls Don't Work after Reloading Project".

If it helps, I noticed that version 2020.11 does not have this problem, but the 2021.01 original release and 2021.01 Update 1 both have the problem.

This has already been fixed internally and will be in the next CbB update, apologies for the inconvenience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:59 PM, Will_Kaydo said:

Yes,  thanks on the tip. I completely disabled it with the following steps. 

1: Open Start.

2: Search for gpedit. 

3: Under ADMINISTRATIVE TENPLATES: Browse the Windows component tab and click on Microsoft Defender Antivirus folder without expanding the tab. Information on the right side should pop up.

4: On the right window:  Double-click the "Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus policy." 

5: Select the Enabled option to disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus. 

6: Click the Apply button.

7: Click the OK button.

So now you don’t have any virus protection. 
If you had followed the advice given you would still have full virus protection and your original problem would be dealt with appropriately. Rather than the blunt instrument of fully disabling Windows Defender. 

Edited by Michael Vogel

16 minutes ago, Michael Vogel said:

So now you don’t have any virus protection. 
If you had followed the advice given you would still have full virus protection and your original problem would be dealt with appropriately. Rather than the blunt instrument of fully disabling Windows Defender. 

😕 Uhmm! I do! One that I'd been trusting for years. 

One that does it's job on the preferences I've set it to. I do what was given in the tips through it for years. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

It seems this version of Cakewalk has an issue with ilok's License Support - opening old projects containing plugins that it (e.g. Oxford Native plugins, Gullfoss, Slate Digital, etc.) gives the following error:

"The License Support software required to validate the license for this product is not installed. Please reinstall the product or download and run the License Support installer here: http://www.ilok.com"

As you can infer, the License Support software is already installed on my machine and is up-to-date. Opening these plugins in other DAWs (for example, Ableton) doesn't cause this issue.

I've tried reinstalling both the ilok and plugin software - do I need to rollback Cakewalk itself?

As an aside, can we please stop adding unnecessary features when there are still so many bugs? For example, a nasty bug regarding the silent re-ordering of plugins when dragging from one track to another (that I reported in 2019!!) has still not been addressed. Every project I work on that has more than fifty or so tracks is always the opposite of robust.  And every new release seems to bring new features that add to the bugs and instability. Why isn't there a formal bug reporting and tracking process? Why is the focus on new features, when the real killer feature of any serious tool is reliability and stability (which Cakewalk has seemingly always lacked)?

1482484209_Screenshot2021-04-04005335.thumb.png.eb1502430731b4ef1494f7634629da14.png

Plugin reordering bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m46gskzzu6s3af5/plugin_order_bug.mp4?dl=0

3 hours ago, loq said:

It seems this version of Cakewalk has an issue with ilok's License Support - opening old projects containing plugins that it (e.g. Oxford Native plugins, Gullfoss, Slate Digital, etc.) gives the following error:

"The License Support software required to validate the license for this product is not installed. Please reinstall the product or download and run the License Support installer here: http://www.ilok.com"

As you can infer, the License Support software is already installed on my machine and is up-to-date. Opening these plugins in other DAWs (for example, Ableton) doesn't cause this issue.

I've tried reinstalling both the ilok and plugin software - do I need to rollback Cakewalk itself?

As an aside, can we please stop adding unnecessary features when there are still so many bugs? For example, a nasty bug regarding the silent re-ordering of plugins when dragging from one track to another (that I reported in 2019!!) has still not been addressed. Every project I work on that has more than fifty or so tracks is always the opposite of robust.  And every new release seems to bring new features that add to the bugs and instability. Why isn't there a formal bug reporting and tracking process? Why is the focus on new features, when the real killer feature of any serious tool is reliability and stability (which Cakewalk has seemingly always lacked)?

1482484209_Screenshot2021-04-04005335.thumb.png.eb1502430731b4ef1494f7634629da14.png

Plugin reordering bug: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m46gskzzu6s3af5/plugin_order_bug.mp4?dl=0

I'm pretty sure the iLok issue is not Cakewalk related.  All iLok integration is done within the plugin itself.  I had this message a couple of days ago - closing the project, opening up & signing into iLok manager, then re-opening the project fixed it for me.  

I'm not sure how your plugin ordering bug slipped through the cracks, but it's now logged & fixed it for the next release.

• Thanks 2