2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

I have two one question :

1. Update: Problem gone! 😀Maybe a reboot made the trick, I don't know... Since updating to 2021.01 I stopped getting toast notifications about the VST scan when starting Cakewalk. Is this a bug with my system or new behavior? The scan still works, adding and removing plugins automatically, but I don't get any notifications about it. (I have tried both modes: Automatic Background Scan and Scan on Startup.) Other toast notifications, such as when opening a project, are displayed as expected.

2. What is the best way to report reproducible bugs (this one)? Here, or maybe by emailing support?

Thanks for a great DAW!

Edited by GreenLight

I'm using 2021.01 the latest version and it's having trouble remembering the midi input. I have 2 midi interfaces and I have my template set to MOTU midi, but when I save it and then reopen it, it changes it to MIdiSport midi. None of this happens with versions 2020.11 and earlier.

I opened 2020.05 and then fixed all the midi inputs  to MOTU in my template, saved it and now it works in 2021.01 with the correct midi input. When I first saved the fixed template in 2020.05 and then tried to open it in 2021.01 it crashed and created a mini dump.

I then tried opening other files that had the correct midi input and those all crashed with mini dumps. I then rebooted the computer and now 2021.01 works ok with my new fixed template.

So clearly something is broken . Here's the link to the mini dumps and the template files, if that's helpful

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105&cid=C256E2DAE26B22A5

It's been a long time since I filed a bug report. Is this the appropriate place to post a bug in the current version?

4 hours ago, gmp said:

I'm using 2021.01 the latest version and it's having trouble remembering the midi input. I have 2 midi interfaces and I have my template set to MOTU midi, but when I save it and then reopen it, it changes it to MIdiSport midi. None of this happens with versions 2020.11 and earlier.

I opened 2020.05 and then fixed all the midi inputs  to MOTU in my template, saved it and now it works in 2021.01 with the correct midi input. When I first saved the fixed template in 2020.05 and then tried to open it in 2021.01 it crashed and created a mini dump.

I then tried opening other files that had the correct midi input and those all crashed with mini dumps. I then rebooted the computer and now 2021.01 works ok with my new fixed template.

So clearly something is broken . Here's the link to the mini dumps and the template files, if that's helpful

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=C256E2DAE26B22A5!105&cid=C256E2DAE26B22A5

It's been a long time since I filed a bug report. Is this the appropriate place to post a bug in the current version?

@gmp you have a bad install which is why its crashing. The version of cwauto130.dll is from an older installation and has a version 26.5.0.39. The version in the Jan release paired with the release you have is 27.1.0.98. 

Are you restoring files manually?
Please re-install the latest version of Cakewalk using our installer and it should fix the crashes.

• Great Idea 1

16 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@gmp you have a bad install which is why its crashing. The version of cwauto130.dll is from an older installation and has a version 26.5.0.39. The version in the Jan release paired with the release you have is 27.1.0.98. 

Are you restoring files manually?
Please re-install the latest version of Cakewalk using our installer and it should fix the crashes.

I don't know what you mean by " restoring files manually". When I open CbB and see the notice of a new version, I've been clicking on that prompt. Sometimes this requires an install of the latest Bandlab. But I always use one of these install techniques. 

While testing this problem, I would use Launchpad to open previous versions until I determined that 2021.01 was the problem. The crashes only happened with 2021.01 during this testing and a reboot fixed these crashes.

I opened Bandlab assistant and uninstalled CbB and then reinstalled it. I opened my template that was fixed by 2020.05 and the midi input was correct. I then opened my old template that had the wrong midi input and changed it to the correct one and saved it. I then opened a file that had the wrong midi input and reopened the newly saved template and found that it did not have the correct midi input, even though I just saved it with the correct input. 

During the reinstall I didn't choose to delete the files that the installer said were not needed anymore. Should I have deleted those files? I thought since I'm using launchpad to run old versions sometimes that maybe I shouldn't delete those files.

So it appears to me this is a bug that of course only affects users that have more than 1 midi interface. I did include my templates in the OneDrive link. Let me know if I can test this anymore on my end

Im not sure what launchpad is - if you use 3rd party tools to run old versions then we have no way to solve problems with that.
The cakewalk installer always updates the correct automation dll. Its likely that the external utility caused the issue. 
The installer doesnt ask to delete files so Im not sure what you mean. 

Mixing and matching different versions of the program will cause crashes and unexpected behavior. Always use our official rollback installer if you need to go to a prior build.

Lauchpad is the tool I wrote for running CbB.

Launchpad checks if cw130auto.dll is the correct version for CbB before starting CbB. If it cannot find the correct version, it displays an error message and won't start CbB.

If the currently installed version of CbB is run outside of Launchpad it may fail if "Restore cw130Auto.dll on exit" is not enabled. This option insures the current cw130auto.dll is saved to the shared utilities folder when Launchpad is shut down. 

19 minutes ago, scook said:

Lauchpad is the tool I wrote for running CbB.

Launchpad checks if cw130auto.dll is the correct version for CbB before starting CbB. If it cannot find the correct version, it displays an error message and won't start CbB.

If the currently installed version of CbB is run outside of Launchpad it may fail if "Restore cw130Auto.dll on exit" is not enabled. This option insures the current cw130auto.dll is saved to the shared utilities folder when Launchpad is shut down. 

I only run Launchpad when I'm having trouble with a current version, like I had with my post.  I do have "Restore cw130Auto.dll on exit" selected in Launchpad. But I never run the current version of CbB from launchpad, I prefer to just click on the Cakewalk desktop icon or just double click a CWP file.

I've never uninstalled and reinstalled CbB, so do you think the Installer was seeing all these older version of CbB that I have installed and was wanting to delete those files? If so, I'm glad I told it not to delete.

I assume it's fine to run CbB from the desktop icon. Let me know if you have any comments. or suggestions. 

You best  bet, if you ever use Launchpad, is always use Launchpad.

It verifies cw130auto and CbB version info before launching CbB.

Running the current version of CbB before exiting Launchpad is a good way to double check everything is OK to run outside of Launchpad.

There are only two files regularly involved in the copy process, the cw130auto.dll in shared utilities and the version needed for CbB.

Launchpad first checks if CbB and cw130auto.dll are the same version

If they are, the program starts CbB

If not, the program looks for an appropriate version of cw130auto.dll in its backups

If it cannot find an appropriate version of cw130auto.dll it returns an error message

If it does find an appropriate version, if necessary, it make a local copy of the cw130auto.dll and attempts to overwrite the copy in shared utilities. If either copy fails it returns an error message

The program attempts to resync on exit and always make sure the exe and dll agree before starting CbB.

That said, there is always a chance the program could fail and leave the current CbB out of sync with the cw130auto.dll.

This is why if one chooses to use Launchpad, they should always use it or at the very least run production from it to verify everything is in sync when encountering problems running outside of launchpad.

I cant activate cakewalk. It activates it, but as soon as I close it and open it again the activation get's lost. 27.01.98 

My previous hardrive crashed yesterday. So i took this time to get a SSD 1TB so everything is from scratch, yet this happens. 

1 hour ago, scook said:

@gmp

@Noel Borthwick

I found a condition that caused Launchpad version 2 to skip the cw130auto.dll copy process.

The problem is fixed in v2.0.6 available now at my Google page

I've been using version 1.8. I'll download the new one. My problem wasn't caused by 2.0. I rarely use Launchpad, only when a version seems to have a bug. So in the future when I do this should I always end the testing by opening the current version in Launchpad to make sure it's using the correct DLL?

I did a search of my C drive for cw130 and only found 1 file. I thought there would be several files named cw130auto.dll each one for each different version of CbB I have saved. I have almost every version of CbB saved just for testing if a bug problem comes up.

There should be a directory called "sub" where the "Cakewalk Launchpad.exe" is located. If the folder is missing that is a problem.

To use v2 you will need to copy "CbB Tools.exe" in the same folder where "Cakewalk Launchapd.exe" currently resides or it will not pickup the old dlls. The new version relies on the same "sub" folder.

44 minutes ago, scook said:

There should be a directory called "sub" where the "Cakewalk Launchpad.exe" is located. If the folder is missing that is a problem.

To use v2 you will need to copy "CbB Tools.exe" in the same folder where "Cakewalk Launchapd.exe" currently resides or it will not pickup the old dlls. The new version relies on the same "sub" folder.

I installed it from my E drive in a Cakewalk folder. I see the sub folder with all the files now and also moved the CbB Tools folder to that Cakewalk folder. I also got rid of the old launchpad shortcut so I don't run the old version

The old "Cakewalk Launchpad.exe" did not use shortcuts.

The new "Launchpad.exe" is a shortcut created by "CbB Tools.exe" to run Launchpad without starting up "CbB Tools.exe" first.

There is no confusing the old version with the new one. They are visually very different.

If you have any more questions about Launchpad here is the dedicated thread for CbB Tools including Launchpad