2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

A reinstall over the top also usually works (I've had to do it 2 or 3 times with Windows 10.as it seems to have a habit of being unable to do a major upgrade - eg.1903 to 1909 or 20H2 - here).  This way no need to reinstall apps, just manufacturer specific drivers, like soundcards.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:00 PM, User Zero said:

Not sure I understand why anyone would ask this question.

If there are versions of Windows that this application doesn't support, it should explicitly SAY so when an installation or update attempt is made. As such, the version of Windows should be irrelevant. If the application installs or updates, it should work. Period. If an OS version is not supported, the install or update should abort, with a clear message explaining why. At the very minimum, the user should get a clear prompt before ANY change is made, enumerating the possible outcomes... which should have been identified during product Q.A. This is just basic common sense.

When I ran the update that destroyed my install the other day (and which has rendered my CbB projects inaccessible), I noticed with no small degree of horror that it ran an installation of some Microsoft Edge component. Microsoft support states that Edge is not compatible with Win7. This is a pretty clear indication that BandLab Assistant isn't paying any attention at all to the version of Windows on which it's running, when it absolutely should be - especially if there's a possibility that an installation or update can render the application inoperable.

Independent of OS version, at a very minimum users should get a prompt warning that this Edge component is about to be installed, so they can decide whether or not they want more Microsoft garbage on their system - especially if they've previously gone to considerable effort to REMOVE it.

Beyond this, the fact that a broken update persists across multiple successful System Restore operations demonstrates that BandLab Tech doesn't fully understand how to package a Windows application in a way such that changes can be undone when needed, for whatever reason.

These 'dead in the water' situations, like mine, are a good indication that BandLab Tech is not testing this product very thoroughly.

If anyone can provide a link to an installer for an older version of BandLab, so that I can at least salvage the stems on the projects I was working on, I'd be very grateful.

TIA!

Aaah! I've been here at least twice on one of my personal systems which I don't have anymore (Sold it a week ago.) All too familiar with this.

Do you have all the necessary runtime packs installed on your system for Windows 7? We often sometimes forget the small things that matters and run straight to the more bigger issues, we think might be the cause. 

There are a few points I do agree with that you've brought to light. I think it's fair to say that somewhere before a download happens on B.A / a little notice message should be up somehwere for readers to see, stating Windows 7 is not supported anymore by Cakewalk, but still allows the installation for W7.

To be fair - it does prompt this, but only during or before a newly installation, If my memory serves me well. 

I've tried to read up on the Webview2 component, trying to make sense of it after reading a few cries and complaints about it in a few topics on the site and guess what -- still clueless to why it is needed in CbB. Though, I believe it is for the "once-off-signing-in and activation feature."

Now heres my deal, I don't find it a problem seeing that I've been using Edge since it's release as my default Browser and mainly because I'm a "INSIDER" for Microsoft / testing new releases and on-and-on-blah-blah-blah! 

Right! There's a pack called "All-in-one-runtime-pack" you can try to install on your current problem you're having. This worked great, when I had the same issues with CbB on Windows 7. I helped another friend early in January this year, with a similar issue, but for a different DAW and his problems went away too with it. 

Find the link in the 2nd step under "Best Solution" HERE!

Hope this helps you too. ✌

Edited by Will_Kaydo

44 minutes ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

I just sanity checked this, but the installer definitely warns about Windows 7 every time, regardless of if it's a new install or running the update from Cakewalk or BandLab Assistant. This dialog box appears:

image.png

I believe what he meant was, to get this prompt message before the downloading process happens through the B.A app. 

I got this today trying to update.

CW130Auto.jpg.088c5c4c063f8ca8bfdb77406d150908.jpg

I see @ian myers had the same "CW130Auto.dll" issue.

@Jonathan Sasor suggested uninstalling MS Visualls C++ 2015 2017 2019 and Ian replied "no love"!

So what's the next step?

BTW, I didn't have to roll back to my last Win10 image, the 2021.01 roll back got me back to work!

The LESSON here children, image your OS BEFORE you update!

tom

Edited by DeeringAmps

On 2/20/2021 at 12:36 AM, forkol said:

Has Cakewalk stopped support for CD/DVD drives in the Media Browser?

My D : (DVD Drive) shows up in Windows like this:

209381361_DiskCapture1.PNG.3f939b200a563cc6bd6f1a33dc81c452.PNG

But in CBB: It no longer shows up in the Media Browser:

1496811853_DiskCapture2.PNG.b6f602538f79be58508e5508f076d596.PNG

However, I tested Sonar X3, and it shows up there.    It also showed up in Studio One 4, and SoundForge.

I know I'm old school, but I have *many* sample CDs/DVDs that I have collected and like to get samples from.

I wonder if anybody else is having this same issue?

I'm still having trouble with this, and support was unable to replicate, but another user was able to replicate the issue.  

CD/DVD drives do not appear to behave correctly in the Media Browser.  I am getting the behavior that either the drive does not show up.  It MAY shows up if you do a View all files, but not always.  If you put a disk in, then the drive disappears from the Media Browser all together, and does not update with the title of the DVD/CD.  All in all, it's very wonky behavior, and I can't get it to consistently to

As mentioned above, it works fine in Windows File Manager, and showing the drive, as well as Sound Forge and Sonar X3. 

Something has changed in the behavior of how CD/DVD drives are handled now.  This is a big issue for me, because in order to be able to use my sample CDs/DVD (I have a lot of them) I will be forced to copy files over to hard drives before I can even try using them.  I'd like it to work how it worked in X3, if possible.  If there was a change, then why?

Remember, if you do try testing this, you will need test with actually inserting a disk to see the issue.  

I'm hoping one of the Baker's can look into this

I just updated to the latest version: 2021.01 and I cannot seem to open any project that is saved in this new version?!?

My testing:

• I created a new project, no problem, did some work and saved it.  I am now unable to open the project.
  • Opened a project created in a previous version. Project opens fine.
  • Created another new project, saved it. Unable to open the project
  • Opened a project created in a previous version, saved the project. I am now unable to open this project.

Any ideas/suggestions?

It doesn't seem to be a driver issue as I can open old projects, and I tried opening using the Shift/safe mode, and the result is the same, projects saved in this version fail to open.  The projects start to open, VST Scan completes successfully, and it indicates the Project successfully opened, and then it crashes.

minidump files are attached if anyone knows how to open/analyze those.

Windows 10 Pro
OS Build 18363.1379

TEST Save_03022021_152252.dmp 03022021_152250.dmp

Edited by Warren Medernach

Can't wait for the new update on bug fixes. I've been extremely pleased the past month with the latest update, especially having the interleave on instrument tracks - but, it seems to be "buggy" and crashes more when it's being used. Haven't had this issue in a long-time. 

21 hours ago, Warren Medernach said:

I just updated to the latest version: 2021.01 and I cannot seem to open any project that is saved in this new version?!?

My testing:

• I created a new project, no problem, did some work and saved it.  I am now unable to open the project.
  • Opened a project created in a previous version. Project opens fine.
  • Created another new project, saved it. Unable to open the project
  • Opened a project created in a previous version, saved the project. I am now unable to open this project.

Any ideas/suggestions?

It doesn't seem to be a driver issue as I can open old projects, and I tried opening using the Shift/safe mode, and the result is the same, projects saved in this version fail to open.  The projects start to open, VST Scan completes successfully, and it indicates the Project successfully opened, and then it crashes.

minidump files are attached if anyone knows how to open/analyze those.

Windows 10 Pro
OS Build 18363.1379

TEST Save_03022021_152252.dmp 1.82 MB · 2 downloads 03022021_152250.dmp 1.95 MB · 1 download

@Warren Medernach  I looked at your dump files. Sorry but both these crashes are not related to the latest update from Cakewalk.

Its your ASIO driver crashing.  rthdasio64.dll is a creative labs driver.
Its crashing in the drivers code. Perhaps it is not compatible with the latest windows. 
If its crashing only with certain projects check if these projects use a different sample rate. The crash is exclusively in the ASIO driver code so there isn't anything for us to analyze further.

ntdll.dll!RtlLeaveCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
>   VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!_CallSettingFrameEncoded() Line 183    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__FrameHandler4::FrameUnwindToState(unsigned __int64 * pRN=0x000000000014d350, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo=0x00007ff8fd5042b0, int targetState=-1) Line 1093    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__FrameHandler4::FrameUnwindToEmptyState(unsigned __int64 * pRN, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo) Line 218    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__InternalCxxFrameHandler<__FrameHandler4>(EHExceptionRecord * pExcept=0x000000000014eb60, unsigned __int64 * pRN=0x000000000014d460, _CONTEXT * pContext, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo=0x000000000014d430, int CatchDepth=0, unsigned __int64 * pMarkerRN=0x0000000000000000, unsigned char recursive='\0') Line 304    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__CxxFrameHandler4(EHExceptionRecord * pExcept=0x000000000014eb60, unsigned __int64 RN, _CONTEXT * pContext=0x000000000014dc80, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50) Line 290    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpExecuteHandlerForUnwind()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlUnwindEx()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!__C_specific_handler()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpExecuteHandlerForException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlDispatchException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlRaiseException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     KERNELBASE.dll!RaiseException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     [Frames may be missing, no binary loaded for rthdasio64.dll]        Annotated Frame
     rthdasio64.dll!00007ff8ebe982d7()    Unknown    Non-user code. No matching binary found.

7 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Can't wait for the new update on bug fixes. I've been extremely pleased the past month with the latest update, especially having the interleave on instrument tracks - but, it seems to be "buggy" and crashes more when it's being used. Haven't had this issue in a long-time. 

If you are getting crashes you should be reporting them. Its unlikely to be related to the last update. Most issues have been with people having mismatched installs.

2 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

If you are getting crashes you should be reporting them. Its unlikely to be related to the last update. Most issues have been with people having mismatched installs.

I do have the latest update, no mismatch installations. It's been doing it upon just by loading a sample and sometimes insterting an audio track. 

The reason why I haven't been reporting anything, was because this started happening on Sunday. At first I thought, it's nothing, Played a bit of keyboard, didn't record nor work on anything just a free piano I have over two years. 

Closed off cakewalk switched the system off. Few hours went by, went back to kill some time - same thing happened. Just now again, before posting the previous feedback. Like I'd said: it hasn't been doing this in a long time. 

On 3/3/2021 at 2:58 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@Warren Medernach  I looked at your dump files. Sorry but both these crashes are not related to the latest update from Cakewalk.

Its your ASIO driver crashing.  rthdasio64.dll is a creative labs driver.
Its crashing in the drivers code. Perhaps it is not compatible with the latest windows. 
If its crashing only with certain projects check if these projects use a different sample rate. The crash is exclusively in the ASIO driver code so there isn't anything for us to analyze further.

ntdll.dll!RtlLeaveCriticalSection()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
>   VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!_CallSettingFrameEncoded() Line 183    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__FrameHandler4::FrameUnwindToState(unsigned __int64 * pRN=0x000000000014d350, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo=0x00007ff8fd5042b0, int targetState=-1) Line 1093    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__FrameHandler4::FrameUnwindToEmptyState(unsigned __int64 * pRN, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo) Line 218    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__InternalCxxFrameHandler<__FrameHandler4>(EHExceptionRecord * pExcept=0x000000000014eb60, unsigned __int64 * pRN=0x000000000014d460, _CONTEXT * pContext, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50, FH4::FuncInfo4 * pFuncInfo=0x000000000014d430, int CatchDepth=0, unsigned __int64 * pMarkerRN=0x0000000000000000, unsigned char recursive='\0') Line 304    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     VCRUNTIME140_1.dll!__CxxFrameHandler4(EHExceptionRecord * pExcept=0x000000000014eb60, unsigned __int64 RN, _CONTEXT * pContext=0x000000000014dc80, _xDISPATCHER_CONTEXT * pDC=0x000000000014da50) Line 290    C++    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpExecuteHandlerForUnwind()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlUnwindEx()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!__C_specific_handler()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpExecuteHandlerForException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlDispatchException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlRaiseException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     KERNELBASE.dll!RaiseException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     [Frames may be missing, no binary loaded for rthdasio64.dll]        Annotated Frame
     rthdasio64.dll!00007ff8ebe982d7()    Unknown    Non-user code. No matching binary found.

Thank you Noel!!

I found that for some reason there were 4 different ASIO Output drivers listed, and they were ALL toggled on.  I toggled off but the first one and things are running fine again.  Thanks for the assistance.

mKWayiL1EL.png.cdab077487ef6df33f8784554ae399ce.png

Something extremely weird happened that I've never seen before when updating a DAW.

I opened Sonar then got the prompt to update to 2021.01 (I had been putting it off recently), so I clicked to update.

It shut sonar down, quickly flashed a progress bar and literally 3 seconds later Sonar was open again back to where I was.

I can't tell if something went wrong or you guys just raised the bar on DAW updates. Never in my life have I seen anything like this, not even with previous updates of CbB. I'm on all SSD and have a beast PC but that hasn't changed anytime recently. Whatever you guys did this time around, well done!

• Like 1