2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

55 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Multimedia Class Scheduler Service

If you're having performance issues in a Project with a DAW with multiple cores, might try toggling the value to see if you get different results

Thanks, interesting!

Does it generally give better performance for you guys? I've never known about or tried that setting in all these years... and I'm generally an audio nerd. 🤓

Cakewalk Version 2021.01 Build 93

PRV

Articulations are deleted when Project, Insert Time/Measures, Insert Measures is used.  Articulations after the At Time will be deleted -- or not.

Before Printscreen

image.png.3af948d32e1e0ef6303bae7c549404cc.png

image.png.40c113a254d7265fafd0f4335e3c4c68.png

After

image.png.f11d94483ed05093e4e42ce1143e4655.png

Then same Before Printscreen but different At Time

image.png.42ba271894f21aaa049ed764f784ba44.png

After

image.png.cda85fce9fe065a1ef095d152a76546c.png

Then same Before Printscreen, at 2:01 but only 1 measure insert

image.png.f754c4d0d0a1bbb61cdf0d6461536c91.png

image.png.355e4832eccd1da9dfbcbd5a48668d2e.png

I updated successfully but now my projects won't load.  I keep getting an error.

"Could not open file. The file may be damaged or incompatible with this version of Cakewalk.  You may attempt to recover this file in 'safe' mode by        holding down the SHIFT key while opening it."

Can I roll back to the previous version?  I sure hope so, otherwise, this is going to be a complete disaster!

-Marc.

Edited by Marc LeBlanc
Wasn't done.

6 minutes ago, Marc LeBlanc said:

I updated successfully but now my projects won't load.  I keep getting an error.

"Could not open file. The file may be damaged or incompatible with this version of Cakewalk.  You may attempt to recover this file in 'safe' mode by        holding down the SHIFT key while opening it."

Can roll back to the previous version?  I sure hope so, otherwise, this is going to be a complete disaster!

-Marc.

This has been addressed with the update in this post

• Like 1

I don't know how long this has been happening but I found an issue (albeit minor) in using the Drum Pane of the PRV when the PRV is undocked as a floating window or on another monitor.
Right click on note to open Map Properties dialog and it will not retain focus, so it slides behind the PRV window and can't be found again without closing/resizing the PRV window. 
Workaround is to immediately pull the Map Properties dialog elsewhere on the screen real estate so that it is not covered by any open windows.
This makes renaming/routing/editing drum notes very frustrating.
Maybe add an <Accept/Cancel> routine to the API call for the Map Properties window so that it retains GUI focus until closed?

On 1/28/2021 at 1:47 PM, msmcleod said:

We did this change to make "Insert Instrument" consistent with how "Insert Audio Track" and "Insert MIDI Track" work - i.e. they always insert above the currently selected track.

I you want the old behaviour, use the "Add Instrument Track" button:

image.png.14ae6723256761770fb06a8adda458da.png

In my install of CbB, and indeed all my other installs of Sonar Platinum and Sonar X3, the "Insert Audio Track" and "Insert Midi Track" do NOT insert above the currently selected track and never have.  if I use CTRL-T, to insert an audio track, it appears as the last track in my list and the same applies to CTRL-Shift-T for midi tracks.

@Noel Borthwick Thanks for trying to improve multicore AMD performance! I finally found some time to compare behaviour between the November version and latest CbB. I don't know how to report in detail, since the performance parameters in the control bar change all the time (I don't get how to interpret it). Anyway, here's my attempt:

I opened a project with many tracks and busses and lots of instruments and FX preloaded and let it run for several minutes, after which I noted the performance parameters.

Threadripper 1950X 16 core, 32 threads
RME PCIe AIO soundcard
24-bit, 96kHz, 64-bit double precision Engine

2020.11.099    latency                                                                                                                                                                                                  ThreadSchedulingModel    Audio processing          Engine Load                      Late Buffers
256 buffer        effective latency 2.7 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 3.1, output 3.7, total roundtrip 6.8ms               2                                            8,54% (Max.45.18%)    59.0% (Max 117.1%)            53
256 buffer        effective latency 2.7 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 3.1, output 3.7, total roundtrip 6.8ms               3                                            7,15% (Max.38.60%)    70.1% (Max 83.5%)                  0
128 buffer        effective latency 1.3 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 1.8, output 2.3, total roundtrip 4.1ms               2                                            3.85% (Max.46.78%)    87.3% (Max 156.4%)      5756
128 buffer        effective latency 1.3 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 1.8, output 2.3, total roundtrip 4.1ms               3                                         10.48% (Max.45.90%)  113.3% (Max 141.1%)     4660
2021.01 Update 1                    
256 buffer        effective latency 2.7 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 3.1, output 3.7, total roundtrip 6.8ms                2                                          7,66% (Max.35.66%)     58.5% (Max 107.5%)               3
256 buffer        effective latency 2.7 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 3.1, output 3.7, total roundtrip 6.8ms                3                                         6,64% (Max.42.63%)      76.3% (Max 94.1%)                  0
128 buffer        effective latency 1.3 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 1.8, output 2.3, total roundtrip 4.1ms                2                                      12.28% (Max.46.34%)      87.3% (Max 239.0%)    11487
128 buffer        effective latency 1.3 ms, ASIO reported latencies:  input 1.8, output 2.3, total roundtrip 4.1ms                3                                      10.90% (Max.44.75%)   109.4% (Max 144.9%)       7343

From what I can conclude so far: ThreadSchedulingModel 3 is much better in any scenario when looking at late buffers. For the rest, the figures change too often (for me at least) to jump to conclusions. 

I'm really impressed with the bug fixes and new features. CbB has been working like a charm the first hour of recording after my test . No bugs or sound interruptions, clicks or plops so far (I use standard  256 buffer, ThreadSchedulingModel 3). 
Great work!!

• Like 2

I had issue with new update. Previously I never had this and all updates was smooth without any errors. Even when press "Cancel installation" it mess something out and it no longer allow to rollback to previous install via provided here rollback installer. For me helped only full uninstall from Control Panel and reinstall from BandLab app from scratch. There definitely something changed in Update 1 installer or in 2021 build as previously never happened this. I saw in Facebook Cakewalk groups that some other people had same issue. Hope this information will help. Thanks guys. 👌

FB_IMG_1611995125463.jpg

Hello, this is not an issue with this update but a very old one.

The piano roll view (as well as the score view, and most of the windows) is always behind any vst window (instrument or effects).

You can't put the piano roll view on top of any vst window, which is very annoying (using floating windows).

It would be great to fix this issue !

David

3 hours ago, Andris Rinkis said:

I had issue with new update. Previously I never had this and all updates was smooth without any errors. Even when press "Cancel installation" it mess something out and it no longer allow to rollback to previous install via provided here rollback installer. For me helped only full uninstall from Control Panel and reinstall from BandLab app from scratch. There definitely something changed in Update 1 installer or in 2021 build as previously never happened this. I saw in Facebook Cakewalk groups that some other people had same issue. Hope this information will help. Thanks guys. 👌

FB_IMG_1611995125463.jpg

This is a Waves issue - they're aware of it and are working on an update.

The current workarounds are, either:

• Reboot your PC before upgrading; or
  • End the WavesLocalServer process from within task manager, and click Try again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, David BEAUGRAND said:

Hello, this is not an issue with this update but a very old one.

The piano roll view (as well as the score view, and most of the windows) is always behind any vst window (instrument or effects).

You can't put the piano roll view on top of any vst window, which is very annoying (using floating windows).

It would be great to fix this issue !

David

you can use X-RAY with the Shift-X keys to make the plugin fade to the back and reverse it with the same keys

11 hours ago, David BEAUGRAND said:

The piano roll view (as well as the score view, and most of the windows) is always behind any vst window (instrument or effects).You can't put the piano roll view on top of any vst window, which is very annoying (using floating windows).

I have this issue of disappearing dialogs only with the Drum Map view <Map Properties> dialog.  in keyboard view of PRV any Note Properties dialog stays focused.
My normal operation is for the PRV to be full screen on Monitor 3... when I have a VST window open (and PINNED) it will pass behind the PRV until the next time that I call focus to that VST track or instrument, then it comes forward again. I often have 3 to 6 VST windows pinned behind the PRV and they always come fore when called.
Just FYI.

Hello! I would really like changes in the media file browser. Please add a one shot button, but so that this function does not stretch the clip, but just sounds to the rhythm. This is very convenient when you pick up a Kick (under the bass guitar) or Hat. Along with the One Shot button you should also add a rhythm button with a choice like in Tempo Delay(1\1, 1\2, 1\4, 1\8 and so on). I hope I was able to explain. Have a nice day!

• Great Idea 1

Seeing reall improvements in terms of engine session load in a heavy project with those latest improvements!

Well done guys, I'm really grateful.

If you were to ever add some adaptive CPU load processing like REAPER has I'd be in dream land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1