2021.01 Feedback

Morten Saether

3 hours ago, azslow3 said:

Cakewalk exists for too long, v27 😀

Roland has not foreseen that Windows 8 drivers can work in Windows 10, so many devices was instantly "obsolete". AZ Controller also checks host version... fortunately it is still "supported" and so the bug could be fixed. 

Still have to do 'Driver Hacking' for my PCR500 after a windows reinstall, because Roland does that stupid windows version check.

6 hours ago, solarlux said:

All work fine. You need to look when you have selected all then it works. All is good.Its logical it need to enable  select events with section to work.

Thanks. Yes, for moving around music is logical to select all events in the section, but for creating a layout of a song that is not yet composed is counterintuitive, depending on your workflow, I think. The whole purpose of the select button, option to select with or without the music, is that.

I have come across an issue with the revised insert track / instrument functionality.

I have a project that contains all of the tracks within folders. When I now want to insert a new instrument track it assumes that I want it to go into an existing folder. The option to create a folder is greyed out. This means that I have to create the instrument track in an existing folder, create a new folder and then move the instrument track to it.

If i have a track outside of the folders it allows me to insert a track as normal with the option to create a folder should I wish to do so. I'm not sure if this is directly related to the updated insert track / instrument behavior although I hadnt noticed it before.

Am I missing something or is this a slight "bug" ?

EDITED: 

Further to this issue. It seems that once an instrument is added to an existing folder, by the odd behaviour I detailed above, the ability to right click on a track and select "remove from folder" does not work. Also I cannot drag and drop the instrument back into a space where it would just become a single track again. All very odd.

image.png.ebe01517887ba5006a31701f3f1a0a66.png

Edited by NealClark

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Generally speaking it's risky to conditionally target host versions because the version number doesn't necessarily mean functionality changes. Some plugins also do this and it can lead to unexpected issues.

The same with DAWs checking current time... The intention is also questionable and the implementation sometimes also produce unexpected issues 😉

6 hours ago, NealClark said:

I have come across an issue with the revised insert track / instrument functionality.

I have a project that contains all of the tracks within folders. When I now want to insert a new instrument track it assumes that I want it to go into an existing folder. The option to create a folder is greyed out. This means that I have to create the instrument track in an existing folder, create a new folder and then move the instrument track to it.

If i have a track outside of the folders it allows me to insert a track as normal with the option to create a folder should I wish to do so. I'm not sure if this is directly related to the updated insert track / instrument behavior although I hadnt noticed it before.

EDITED: 

Further to this issue. It seems that once an instrument is added to an existing folder, by the odd behaviour I detailed above, the ability to right click on a track and select "remove from folder" does not work. Also I cannot drag and drop the instrument back into a space where it would just become a single track again. All very odd.

@NealClark I am unable to reproduce any of these behaviors. What build are you running?

33 minutes ago, azslow3 said:

The same with DAWs checking current time... The intention is also questionable and the implementation sometimes also produce unexpected issues 😉

Many years ago, the Waves plugin demos checked the system time to see if the demo period had expired.  Resetting it to, say, 1 second after you last used one of them before running them again (and then restoring if necessary) goosed them effectively permanently.  Of course, this was in the days before accurate timestamps on ecommerce sites and the like were so important so it wasn't so much of a big deal to have the "wrong" time on your clock.

7 hours ago, NealClark said:

EDITED: 

4 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@NealClark I am unable to reproduce any of these behaviors. What build are you running?

@NealClark - I can repro this - I'll look into it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NealClark said:

EDITED: 

@NealClark - thanks for reporting this one.

The bug was caused by changes to the "Insert Instrument" behaviour to make it consistent with Insert Audio Track / Insert Midi Track - i.e. it puts it before the current track, and if that track is in a folder, the new instrument gets put in the folder too. 

Basically what is happening is the MIDI part of the instrument track is being put in the folder, but the Audio part isn't. This is causing the move from folder command to fail.

We've got a fix for this, but in the meantime if you split the instrument track you'll be able to move the MIDI part out of the folder and re-combine it with the audio track by selecting both tracks and doing a "Make Instrument Track".

Hotfix preview build 93 has been posted to the EA channel. Thanks for your support testing this hotfix. In particular, please test ASIO with MMCSS enabled (and disabled) since there are some specific optimizations to the audio engine in this area that should make it more efficient.  You will need to reboot your PC after installing this update to test this properly. 

PS: Some of these issues predate CbB and have been present for more than 10 years :)

The following new fixes are in this build:

• Ripple edit delete using section overlaps crops the clip at the end of the left sections 
  • MMCSS threads not properly unregistered on engine termination
  • MMCSS threads could exceed quota with repeated changes to preferences
  • CbB no longer attempts to set ASIO thread priority when MMCSS is not enabled
  • Plugin Load balancing threads were not being released
  • Remove unexpected dropout message when creating or loading new projects
  • Unexpected sample rate conversion message when bouncing audio
  • Add Instrument Track not putting audio track in folder / unable to remove from folder
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@NealClark - I can repro this - I'll look into it.

Thanks for your prompt attention to this. Personally I am not sure the new Insert Track functionionality is in any way a step forward. It seems to be a solution to a problem that didnt exist. As a long time Sonar user I've never had issues with the way tracks were inserted and now find the "insert above" behaviour very annoying. This is even more frustrating in situations where I am building a large template for orchestral compostions. As I build the the template, folowing a logical path through the instruments, I now have to drag or move new tracks every time. This can get very tedious.

Edited by NealClark
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NealClark said:

Thanks for your prompt attention to this. Personally I am not sure the new Insert Track functionionality is in any way a step forward. It seems to be a solution to a problem that didnt exist. As a long time Sonar user I've never had issues with the way tracks were inserted and now find the "insert above" behaviour very annoying. This is even more frustrating in situations where I am building a large template for orchestral compostions. As I build the the template, folowing a logical path through the instruments, I now how to drag or move new tracks every time. This can get very tedious.

Need to include option to posibility choose between new and old behaviour of track insertion  : ) It would be very nice

1 minute ago, solarlux said:

Need to include option to posibility choose between new and old behaviour of track insertion  : ) It would be very nice

Yes. I'd be happy with that. I do think it's one of those occasions where the "if it isn't broken, dont fix it" rule should have been applied. I am not sure I see the logic in adding this functionality. Maybe I am missing something though and my normal workflow wasn't showing up an issue. I've been working the same way since Sonar 8 and now find this change interrupting my productivity. I also use a Control Surface to speed up my workflow and this change now just gets in the way and makes extra work for me.

1 minute ago, NealClark said:

Yes. I'd be happy with that. I do think it's one of those occasions where the "if it isn't broken, dont fix it" rule should have been applied. I am not sure I see the logic in adding this functionality. Maybe I am missing something though and my normal workflow wasn't showing up an issue. I've been working the same way since Sonar 8 and now find this change interrupting my productivity. I also use a Control Surface to speed up my workflow and this change now just gets in the way and makes extra work for me.

I totally understand you and habbits is hard to break.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, solarlux said:

I totally understand you and habbits is hard to break.

The frustration is what was once a press a button, and a couple of clicks now has an addition 3 or 4 steps for each new track. It's taken us experienced users a long time to get a productive workflow honed down to the simplest and most functional method. I'd like to try and understand the logic for adding this new way of working but for now I can't see any benefit.

Edited by NealClark

2 hours ago, NealClark said:

Thanks for your prompt attention to this. Personally I am not sure the new Insert Track functionionality is in any way a step forward. It seems to be a solution to a problem that didnt exist. As a long time Sonar user I've never had issues with the way tracks were inserted and now find the "insert above" behaviour very annoying. This is even more frustrating in situations where I am building a large template for orchestral compostions. As I build the the template, folowing a logical path through the instruments, I now have to drag or move new tracks every time. This can get very tedious.

We did this change to make "Insert Instrument" consistent with how "Insert Audio Track" and "Insert MIDI Track" work - i.e. they always insert above the currently selected track.

I you want the old behaviour, use the "Add Instrument Track" button:

image.png.14ae6723256761770fb06a8adda458da.png

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

And what is the MMCSS setting that has received so many fixes and when does one need to pay attention to it? Thanks. 🙂

Multimedia Class Scheduler Service

If you're having performance issues in a Project with a DAW with multiple cores, might try toggling the value to see if you get different results

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Thanks 1