Tantric Sax :D

Notes_Norton

9 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Bob , Are we talking an intervention here ?

I think I have a " friend " that qualifies as a possible candidate in great need of  a  Sax therapy  session .

<...meme snipped...>

Kenny

Sorry. I'm in a duo with a guitar/synth player who is also a great singer. Triple threat and hard to replace so I married her :)

So now she can't divorce me without losing her job :D

BTW the sax in your picture looks like a Selmer Mark VI or a Mark VI copy (there are as many Mark VI copies as there are Strat copies).

Nice horn, I had one years ago. Sold it before the prices went up, now you can sell them for 10 times what they cost when they were new.

Bob

58 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

BTW the sax in your picture looks like a Selmer Mark VI or a Mark VI copy (there are as many Mark VI copies as there are Strat copies).

A friend I've gigged with for many years plays a Selmer VI. It is a great sounding horn. He would be able to use it at all of his gigs if he would stop bending the neck. I'm convinced those things are made of tin foil.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Bob , Are we talking an intervention here ?

I think I have a " friend " that qualifies as a possible candidate in great need of  a  Sax therapy  session .

<...meme snipped...>           

Kenny

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Sorry. I'm in a duo with a guitar/synth player who is also a great singer. Triple threat and hard to replace so I married her :)

So now she can't divorce me without losing her job :D

Nice horn, I had one years ago. Sold it before the prices went up, now you can sell them for 10 times what they cost when they were new.

Bob

Cool story about your wife .

As far as the meme goes ,  the pic of the Sax is  John Coltrane's horn .

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/saxophone-supreme-john-coltrane-legendary-instrument-joins-collections-american-history-museum-180950274/

Kenny

• Like 1

Coltrane was one of the greatest sax players of the 20th century. I prefer Stan Getz myself. Not that I don't appreciate 'Trane's genius, it's just that I liked Stan's sense of melody better.

I never had any trouble with the neck on my VI, it was an earlier model, I believe I bought it in 1960 give or take a year. It was $600 new. The tone was great, keywork excellent, intonation was good for it's day, but poor by today's standards.

I traded it in for a VII which had improved intonation, but the tone was less flexible, so I traded in that one for an H.Couf Superba which IMO blew the Selmers out of the water. Better tone and better intonation. It was one of my all time favorite saxes. My new favorite is a Yamaha. I bought it for a back-up horn, but liked it so much I moved my custom MacSax to secondary position.

I'm not monogamous when it comes to sax.

7 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Coltrane was one of the greatest sax players of the 20th century. I prefer Stan Getz myself. Not that I don't appreciate 'Trane's genius, it's just that I liked Stan's sense of melody better.

I never had any trouble with the neck on my VI, it was an earlier model, I believe I bought it in 1960 give or take a year. It was $600 new. The tone was great, keywork excellent, intonation was good for it's day, but poor by today's standards.

I traded it in for a VII which had improved intonation, but the tone was less flexible, so I traded in that one for an H.Couf Superba which IMO blew the Selmers out of the water. Better tone and better intonation. It was one of my all time favorite saxes. My new favorite is a Yamaha. I bought it for a back-up horn, but liked it so much I moved my custom MacSax to secondary position.

I'm not monogamous when it comes to sax.

Bought it in 1960!!!  I'm impressed you're still even interested in sax at your age!

On 3/26/2019 at 10:08 AM, craigb said:

Bought it in 1960!!!  I'm impressed you're still even interested in sax at your age!

Yes but I use softer reeds (ha-ha-ha)

Seriously, I've made my living doing music and nothing but music for most of my life. I am of retirement age, but have no plans to do so. Playing music is not what I do, it's what I am. Besides, gigging is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

My first paying gig was when I was in junior high school, at a school dance. This is when I discovered some girls are attracted to musicians. So you get on stage, have fun playing music, pretty girls 'make eyes' at you, and at the end of the night someone gives you money. That's living the dream.

Insights and incites by Notes