Cakewalk and Melodyne 5.1

John Bradley

Question

Back when Melodyne 5.0 was released there were a fair amount of people complaining about it not quite integrating perfectly with CW in various ways, enough that it scared me away from upgrading at the time.

Has that all been worked out by now? Does Melodyne (Studio) 5.1 work flawlessly with the current release of CW, or is it still a bit on the iffy side?

Much as I'd like the new features in v5, I don't want to drop $150 to have something that works worse than my current v4 (i.e., 'perfectly').

12 answers to this question

I've not had a problem so far.

I was a little worried because I forgot I was in the middle of working on a track that used V4, and I had uninstalled V4.

However, V5 has built-in backwards compatibility and is designed so it sounds/operates identically to V4 until you do a redetect (which activates the separate sibilance control). So I didn't need to do anything to my project, which loaded up just fine even though there were regions still active and unrendered in the project.

In summary, I cant guarantee that it will work OK for you but it's working fine for me as I type this (I'm using it to change the formant sound on a bass synth of all things...)

Edited by Jeremy Murray-Wakefield
  • Like 1

I am having a problem with melodyne. It worked fine in trial mode but now It does not save edits after fine tuning in CWB. I contacted support and got ditched by a very rude tech. This just happened yesterday. He refused to escalate my ticket and  had a flimsy knowledge of the product. I will never deal with Celemony again.

5 hours ago, Sunraw said:

I am having a problem with melodyne. It worked fine in trial mode but now It does not save edits after fine tuning in CWB. I contacted support and got ditched by a very rude tech. This just happened yesterday. He refused to escalate my ticket and  had a flimsy knowledge of the product. I will never deal with Celemony again.

One the Melodyne trial period is over, you can no longer save edits. The Cakewalk functions that leverage Melodyne, such as Audio to MIDI and Tempo Extraction will continue to work however.

Upgrading to Melodyne Essentials, or one of the other versions will allow you to make edits and save them. Certain functionality is limited however in the cheaper versions. The Celemony website details the differences.

I absolutely love Melodyne 5 Assistant. I grabbed the upgrade for only $99 Black Friday deal. It's actually the first time I've used the editor because in the past every time I tried to use it it would freeze up Cakewalk or warn me that my Memory was full?   So now for me the opposite is true. Things are working smooth a silk and I have probably spent a few days worth of time using it and never a crash or a glitch. I work with short clips and then immediately render them. Always keep a copy of your original in a safe place.  

• Like 1

I also love and am absolutely floored by Melodyne 5 (I have the Studio version now)! I find myself working in the stand alone to get the full fluidity of it, but the integration with CW is a huge plus, if a bit quirky at times. I can't really compare it to previous vers. as I've only really dived into it deeply since upgrading as opposed to just using the basic functions within CW in the past.

A quirk for me, when working within CW, I have discussed a bit in this post (sorry if it's a bit confusing as one of the issues discussed became a non-issue). This is summarized as being a problem when choosing "Follow host tempo" with a Melodyne tempo analyzed region.  I'm not sure if it's something in my setup, or misapprehending what should be happening, or if it is indeed a "bug", but I have found ways to work around it for now.

I have also noticed minor issues with another ARA integrated application (SpectraLayers) working within Cakewalk, so perhaps there are just still some kinks in the whole ARA structure still at this point. But all this aside, Melodyne 5 is truly mind-blowing in what it achieves.

I have had the Studio version for years and it usually works flawlessly. It's one of the greatest inventions ever in digital recording. Wouldn't go without it and it's well worth investing in the Studio version. I like to record my favorite old rock songs and have been buying Karaoke-Version multitrack songs which are "Stems" of separate drums, guitars, bass, keyboards, vocals , etc. I download the tracks individually and drag them into CW. Then I play along with them and record the guitars, bass , some keyboards and do the singing. I have no talent for brass instruments and use those and use most of the keyboard trax from the downloads. When I'm done, I have my version which I usually change up a bit to make it mine. Loads of fun for an old geezer who spent too many years in live bands growing up trying to make it big which never happened🤨. If I can't figure out the guitar parts by ear I just load the guitar part stems into Melodyne and can see the notes I'm hearing - amazing and it even tries to decipher the chords that are being played. Works on bass, drums and vocals as well. Really a miracle plug-in.

Edited by user390096

On 1/27/2021 at 5:53 PM, msmcleod said:

One the Melodyne trial period is over, you can no longer save edits. The Cakewalk functions that leverage Melodyne, such as Audio to MIDI and Tempo Extraction will continue to work however.

Upgrading to Melodyne Essentials, or one of the other versions will allow you to make edits and save them. Certain functionality is limited however in the cheaper versions. The Celemony website details the differences.

Sorry for the late reply I don't come here often. I own Essentials. The problem started after I demoed the full version. But now I have a bigger issue with the shabby support I got and would recommend strongly against using Celemony products.

• Confused 1

Since version 5 I have the following problems:

1. The now time in Melodyne is often not in sync with Cakewalk. Also when I set the now time in Melodyne it happens that it is located differently in Cakewalk.
  2. Opening a short Melodyne audio clip jumps sometimes in the timeline of Melodyne, so that I have to search/scroll to find the audio.
  3. Playing in the detection mode can be started with a double click as before, but I have to stop now with spacebar. This is very strange and confusing, because if I accidentally click the spacebar twice, then the audio playing in Cakewalk starts when I am actually working in the detection mode (playing audio only in Melodyne).
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, marled said:

Since version 5 I have the following problems:

1. The now time in Melodyne is often not in sync with Cakewalk. Also when I set the now time in Melodyne it happens that it is located differently in Cakewalk.
  2. Opening a short Melodyne audio clip jumps sometimes in the timeline of Melodyne, so that I have to search/scroll to find the audio.
  3. Playing in the detection mode can be started with a double click as before, but I have to stop now with spacebar. This is very strange and confusing, because if I accidentally click the spacebar twice, then the audio playing in Cakewalk starts when I am actually working in the detection mode (playing audio only in Melodyne).

i had similar problems with the version 4 product (Editor) but the upgrade to 5 fixed it for me (as well as the newer features). one thing that happens on occasion is the timer circle completes but the screen never seems to refresh, so i have to close the tab then re-open. this only seems to happen on long segments with a lot of detail (like if i'm converting an acoustic guitar track to midi and there's a lot of notes to analyze. time keeping wise - it's in sync for me.

have not seen the double-spacebar thing except when i'm being spastic trying to get playback to stop or start when i'm using an older 32-bit plugin 🙂 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1