UJAM Drums don't like CbB tempo slider

Brian Lawler

CbB Newb,  I just discovered the tempo "slider" mouse control on the control bar.  Something I have used often in other DAWs.  Problem with any UJAM Virtual Drummer:  As long as you change the tempo by typing a value in the control, everything works fine.  After sliding the up/down tempo arrows with mouse-drag, however, the UJAM VST window shows weird data- Things that should be a single selection won't click "off", the graphic display of keys pressed disappears, etc.  I can't get the plug-in to function correctly after this- I need to delete the track and start over. Similar behavior with all UJAM stuff I tried so far. Can anyone duplicate this, and is there a CbB setting I am missing that might be causing it? Thanks!

Example: "Drum Kit" and "Mix Preset" only supposed to allow one selected:

UJAM-s.jpg.a0506d28edfed4c463006ef7acd58881.jpg

-edit-

NOTE- As of the current version of Cakewalk 2021.6 (and perhaps earlier), the tempo slider behavior in CW has changed, so this is no longer an issue.  The slider no longer sends constant tempo data; only an end result after changing the tempo.

Edited by Brian Lawler
update

I can only say that I can confirm that the uJam GUI is loosing responsiveness here too. Not sure what exactly is causing it when working in Cakewalk but clicking on some places on Cakewalk GUI and then back to uJam and voila, have to save the project and reload. Possibly happened too when changing the tempo by clicking in the value box, though not slider related (didn't try that yet). Also happened when changing some settings by clicking the Micro Timing button in uJam. Had experience with similar issues with GUI non-responsiveness in UVI Workstation and some Acousticsamples libraries for it.

EDIT: just checked, confirming that when I change the tempo in Cakewalk, uJam GUI stops responding, so definitely some problem between the plugin and Cakewalk's control bar (or just the transport module)!

Edited by chris.r
  • Thanks 1

Here are the exact steps to reproduce what I'm getting. Assuming you have your uJam plugin GUI open:

• in Cakewalk transport click in the tempo box where we can change the tempo value
  • now place the mouse to the right where the small '+' and '-' are, exactly between them so that the cursor turns into double-arrow (up and down)

and that's it, now you can't change anything more on uJam GUI.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Here are the exact steps to reproduce what I'm getting. Assuming you have your uJam plugin GUI open,,,

Thanks for checking!  I did a bit more poking and confirm that the up/down tempo does the same- I just had not used it due to tiny size on my display set-up.  I tried a couple UJAM Basses and had the same issue, but the UJAM guitar I tried seemed to work OK.  Not related, I assume, but it does bug me that Ujam still don't offer VST3 versions of their stuff.

• Like 1

Actually I think this needs to come to the attention of the CbB developers.  I am not sure how to file a bug report, but will look.  I verified that the Ujam Drums work fine with "live" scaling tempos in Studio One 5.1.2, Bitwig 3.3.1, and FLStudio 20.8

<edit>

Sent and acknowledged.  As easy as an email to support at cakewalk.

Edited by Brian Lawler
more info

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:52 PM, Brian Lawler said:

CbB Newb,  I just discovered the tempo "slider" mouse control on the control bar.  Something I have used often in other DAWs.  Problem with any UJAM Virtual Drummer:  As long as you change the tempo by typing a value in the control, everything works fine.  After sliding the up/down tempo arrows with mouse-drag, however, the UJAM VST window shows weird data- Things that should be a single selection won't click "off", the graphic display of keys pressed disappears, etc.  I can't get the plug-in to function correctly after this- I need to delete the track and start over. Similar behavior with all UJAM stuff I tried so far. Can anyone duplicate this, and is there a CbB setting I am missing that might be causing it? Thanks!

Example: "Drum Kit" and "Mix Preset" only supposed to allow one selected:

UJAM-s.jpg.a0506d28edfed4c463006ef7acd58881.jpg

-edit-

NOTE- As of the current version of Cakewalk 2021.6 (and perhaps earlier), the tempo slider behavior in CW has changed, so this is no longer an issue.  The slider no longer sends constant tempo data; only an end result after changing the tempo.

Which version were you using before you updated? The slider always send data at the end (on mouse up) but there was a a bug fix for something else in the UI that may have caused an unwanted plugin interaction.

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Which version were you using before you updated? The slider always send data at the end (on mouse up) but there was a a bug fix for something else in the UI that may have caused an unwanted plugin interaction.

The last time I experienced the issue was Jan 21, so it was the release version at that time.  However- due to the problem, I changed my behavior and quit using the tempo arrows until just recently testing it again in 2021.6.  So I don't know just when the change happened- sorry!  -edit- Also- the data does not send on mouse up for me- I have to click somewhere outside the tempo window (Win Pro 21H1)

Edited by Brian Lawler

@Brian Lawler I verified that it is related to a fix I made in 06. There were cases where some windows messages were being skipped by certain UI controls that could cause unexpected UI behavior in some plugins. The spin control used for changing tempos was one of them that had the bug.

>>Also- the data does not send on mouse up for me- I have to click somewhere outside the tempo window (Win Pro 21H1)
That part is expected, only when you press enter or click away from the control is the new value committed. It's normal behavior for a spin control.

• Thanks 1