To the veterans of Cakewalk.

Will.

Question

Stupid question about PanLawCompactMode.

What was the deal in Cakewalk 8.5 with panlaw? How did it act in that version. I did read up in the Documentation about it, but still have this question harassing me and want to understand the "Backwards Compatibility thing." 

I'm reading up on different Pan Law and Pan Rules of different DAWs to write an Article for a school that approached me to do a seminar on it. 

I have 2 weeks to go before this seminar thing. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 answer to this question

i don't recall having issues in v8 ( i started using CW in v3) but maybe this will help: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Playback.27.html

it seems like the compatibility setting is more for correcting things from a previous version...

Pan Law compatibility mode
When using a non-default pan law with floating point or 24-bit audio, Cakewalk would previously apply the pan law twice; once at the clip level and once more at the track level.
In SONAR 8.5.2 and later, pan laws are only applied once at the track level and only for mono tracks. Any clip pan envelopes will continue to work, but behave strictly as a balance control.
If you have existing projects that use a non-default pan law (i.e. other than 0dB center sin/cos taper), the mix might sound louder in Cakewalk. 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1