Solved - Split a clip and then select the right side?

JonnyHeyhey

Question

Hi guys I've been trying to google for answers to this one..

How do you split a clip and then have the clips to the right side selected inside of the left side?

Like I find myself having to select the right side of the splitted clip each time I split..is there an easier way to choose the clip on the right side instead the left?

Edited by JonnyHeyhey

10 answers to this question

On 1/21/2021 at 4:25 AM, scook said:

Hi Scook I noticed from your link that there is also an option 'when splitting clips in groups, create new groups' . Does this mean that say I highlight every track and then perform a split all of the split sections of the tracks can be moved together should i wish to do so? 

Edited by brandon

34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is how "big" auto crossfades should be:

AutoXFadeComps.gif

I was wondering what the association with auto crossfades had to splitting clips - is it to face in/out where the actual split occurred? And do you suggest a 25ms cross fade?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, brandon said:

I was wondering what the association with auto crossfades had to splitting clips - is it to face in/out where the actual split occurred? And do you suggest a 25ms cross fade?

Thanks

No, it's not face in/out - splitting & crossfading does the following (assuming a 5ms crossfade):

• Splits the clips at the split point (creating two exact copies of the clip, but slip-edited at the split point - i.e. the left clip's end is now at the split point, and the right clip's start is now at the split point).
  • Slip edits the right of the  left clip by 5ms, and adds a fade out of 5ms.
  • Slip edits the left of the right clip by 5ms, and adds a fade in of 5ms.

I'd recommend using the default 5ms as this works pretty well, but it's really down to taste.

6 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

No, it's not face in/out - splitting & crossfading does the following (assuming a 5ms crossfade):

• Splits the clips at the split point (creating two exact copies of the clip, but slip-edited at the split point - i.e. the left clip's end is now at the split point, and the right clip's start is now at the split point).
  • Slip edits the right of the  left clip by 5ms, and adds a fade out of 5ms.
  • Slip edits the left of the right clip by 5ms, and adds a fade in of 5ms.

I'd recommend using the default 5ms as this works pretty well, but it's really down to taste.

Thanks. I presume the auto crossfade only works for audio clips?