Jump to content
Brian Walton

Affinity Photo, Designer + Publisher all 50% off

Recommended Posts

They also have a 90 day trial currently

 

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Deal is as good as it gets for the product, and highly recommend them for anyone that want to test the waters in the 2D visual arts front.

 

A message from the Affinity team

As a way to lend support to the creative community during these difficult times, we’re once again offering a 90-day free trial of the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite, for anyone who wants to use them (even those who have previously completed a free trial). We’re also bringing back the 50% discount for those who would prefer to buy and keep the apps, including our iPad versions.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

No end date for the promo?

They haven't settled on one.  Previously when they ran a deal like this it was actually set to end before the 90 day free trial offer, but they extended it.

At these prices, hard to go wrong.  You can authorize it on as many machines as you own, and thus far all updates have been free (I'd expect that to eventually change).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

At these prices, hard to go wrong.  You can authorize it on as many machines as you own, and thus far all updates have been free (I'd expect that to eventually change).

True. But it would be good to know. I'm using Inkscape and RawTherapee and the price is right to switch, if the workflow improves. So I'd definitely demo them if the sale price is alive for at least a week or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

True. But it would be good to know. I'm using Inkscape and RawTherapee and the price is right to switch, if the workflow improves. So I'd definitely demo them if the sale price is alive for at least a week or two. 

Affinity does not offer a real RAW processing program/ DAM like RawThereapee.

It does have a RAW development module but it is for one off photo processing (just like Photoshop handles it).  It is more of a Photoshop alternative than a LightRoom alternative.

The usefulness as a replacement for Inkscape will likley depend on your needs.  

Affinity really comes into its own when you own and use all 3 apps, since swtiching between them is seamless (if you own all of them).

 

No doubt the sale will be up for a couple of weeks.  The bigger question will be if it is more than a month or two months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, that's useful info. RAW processing is key for me. I'll probably still install the demos to see what's what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

Thanks, that's useful info. RAW processing is key for me. I'll probably still install the demos to see what's what. 

RAW Therapee can produce good results, but if find it is clunky and takes way longer to adjust a photo than other paid applications.  Many of the tools are needlesly complicated and the interface isn't ideal.  That and Darktable are top of the heap for free programs.

I use Capture One, but it is also the most expensive product on the market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

RAW Therapee can produce good results, but if find it is clunky and takes way longer to adjust a photo than other paid applications.  Many of the tools are needlesly complicated and the interface isn't ideal.  That and Darktable are top of the heap for free programs.

I agree. It's sluggish and the interface isn't the best. But I can get great results with it with its core functionality, which is pretty awesome for a free product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting.  Wow $75 for all three main programs. That is a great deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no pro, but I really enjoy this software. I have all three. Best software bang for the buck I've ever gotten.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

I agree. It's sluggish and the interface isn't the best. But I can get great results with it with its core functionality, which is pretty awesome for a free product. 

Indeed, I gave the free ones a shot both when I was starting out as well as testing for others (I teach Photography and photo editing) to get started in the game.  Great for free, but also not really aimed at a beginner.   So it fits in a odd spot.  Capable of professional results, but a professional wouldn't want to use it due to the time wasting to get there.  

It is basically aimed at the really advanced hobbiest with plenty of time on their hands, and a firm understanding of post processing in my mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity is hands down one of the best photo editors I've ever used and Publisher has been an absolute joy to use and I've completely bailed on Microsoft Publisher in favour of Affinity (I don't use Design that much).  Even at full price, this is what a true no-brainer is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Affinity sells through their website, and also through the Windows and Mac stores. All of them look to be on sale. I don't know of any significant difference between them, but in case people like to avoid app stores, or have a credit somewhere...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. I've never heard of this set of products before - but I was coincidently mulling that I needed to get a photo editing application as my older version of Photoshop appears to not load in Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mister_tea said:

Affinity sells through their website, and also through the Windows and Mac stores. All of them look to be on sale. I don't know of any significant difference between them, but in case people like to avoid app stores, or have a credit somewhere...

 

I'm not an expert on the store front, but I'm quite sure there are limitations in getting it through the Windows App store that I read about at some point.  And I've seen a couple people complain about buying in the Apple store vs. the Affinity web shop (delay in roll out of a version perhpas?).

So I'd suggest doing research before buying it anywhere other than Affinity's own website.

7 minutes ago, lawajava said:

Thanks all. I've never heard of this set of products before - but I was coincidently mulling that I needed to get a photo editing application as my older version of Photoshop appears to not load in Windows 10.

Highly recommend trying Affinity Photo then.  The general layout and shortcuts will feel very similar.  The learning curve is far less switching from Photoshop to Affinity than any other pixel based editor I can think of.  It certainly isn't a clone and you will have to look up how to do certain things, but they clearly used the concept of Photoshop as the base and I think it was a wise move.  

And if your version of photoshop is that old (CS6 still runs on Win10) then I think you will also see a number of performance improvements using Affinity as it is built on much more modern code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grabbed all three.  I am relieved/impressed they have scores of video tutorials on their site for each product.  Seems like it will not be a problem if I need to research how to do something when I'm pulling up one of these only on an occasional use basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lawajava said:

I grabbed all three.  I am relieved/impressed they have scores of video tutorials on their site for each product.  Seems like it will not be a problem if I need to research how to do something when I'm pulling up one of these only on an occasional use basis.

There are also some great youtube tutorial channels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay I brought all three from Affinity website.  Now I have some learning to do.  Was going to buy from the Windows store as I have some credits but I'll save them to use for some Staffpad add-ons at a later date.   This is a no-brainer for me as I still have to do some page layout stuff from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lawajava said:

I grabbed all three.  I am relieved/impressed they have scores of video tutorials on their site for each product.  Seems like it will not be a problem if I need to research how to do something when I'm pulling up one of these only on an occasional use basis.

Yes, the videos are very good expecially if you already have an understanding of other software previously.  Most of the website tutorials are about how to use a certain tool or a certain fuction, not necessarily the context or a series of actions to do something.  They have a youtube channel as well as had a number of artists do hour long video sessions of different aspects of the work that can provide some direction and inspiration.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw

If you have access to LinkedIn Learning/Lynda.com there are 2-5 hour courses on each product that gives some good overview as well.

A number of good regular contributer channels pump out content every week too, there are lots, but here are a few examples that are very much committed to making regular content:

https://www.youtube.com/c/AffinityRevolution/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCKx8mAHiFus-XYQLy_WnaA

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOnLUmyPHr2rayOHVHWsHVw

 

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...