Affinity Photo, Designer + Publisher all 50% off

Brian Walton

Just now, locrian said:

Just curious, is anyone using Publisher as an alternative to Powerpoint?

If so, how well is it working for you?

I actually do becuase I like the workflow and I know the software better.  

A few things to note:

• you don't have transitions
  • output to PDF - so you will lose "preview next slide" modes
  • If you collaborate on a "slide deck" using Apub obviously is a problem unless the other people you work with do
  • If soemone needs to copy and paste the text out of your deck into say an email, could be problematic for them
  • Can't imbed videos/audio (to my knowledge)

But if you are really just creating a PDF that you click through and don't need to see the next slide, I like it.  Master pages can be helpful to get at simlar look arcoss the pages and to make some global changes to the look.   Abilites to edit images and text flows are on a different level with Publisher when you get up to speed.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, locrian said:

Thanks for the info.

Does Publisher allow you to do a full screen preview of your pages ('slides') the way you're able in PP?

As a "presentation tool" I'm not aware of a way to do it.

If you are just preparing the slides, you can easily export each of your publisher created pages as JEPGs (one simple export example 100 page deck in 100 jpegs), then take those image files and add those as slides in a program such as power point where you have that funcationality.

I haven't used the program for Power Point, but Libre Office should be able to do that PP style preview in a free program, but you could create the slides in publisher.

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

As a "presentation tool" I'm not aware of a way to do it.

If you are just preparing the slides, you can easily export each of your publisher created pages as JEPGs (one simple export example 100 page deck in 100 jpegs), then take those image files and add those as slides in a program such as power point where you have that funcationality.

I haven't used the program for Power Point, but Libre Office should be able to do that PP style preview in a free program, but you could create the slides in publisher.

Thanks again, Brian.

5 minutes ago, locrian said:

Thanks again, Brian.

Glad to help.  Also if you output in PDF any of the usual suspects for PDF viewing (Adobe Reader) will allow you to go full screen and then you use mouse or buttons to click left and right.  But you can't preview the next slide that way.  I've hosted a few on-line photography classes in this manner where I didn't need to have dual monitors up and "see the next slide" before I show it situations.  

• Like 2