Affinity Photo, Designer + Publisher all 50% off

Brian Walton

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

How does Affinity compare to something like CorelDraw Suite?  (other than price...)

Honeslty pretty hard to answer.  Both are very capable products.  

You can certainly achieve similar results with them, but can depend on how you like to work.  

I personally ran into some install issues with Corel and think that is a draw back for me (finally got them to work - or I think they still do as I haven't opened them in a while).  But ran into issues with both 2019 and 2020 across multiple machines.  

I never dived in super deep with Corel but it felt feature rich on the surface and training materials both in house and other people using it seemed sparse (perhpas becuase of the cost).  

Use affinity all the time and Corel collects dust, but I don't think that is becuase of feature sets, I know affinity products better and I also just expect them to continue to advance where Corel is an amazing - but niche market.  I think Affinity likley has a stronger future due to the fact I see them continuing to gain a larger market segment beuase of the price to quality ratio.  Corel is great for those that want to stay in the Corel echosystem, I think Affinity tries to bridge the gap for Adobe (or former Adobe users better).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

How does Affinity compare to something like CorelDraw Suite?  (other than price...)

From the one day with all of the Affinity programs I would say I will be happy with it. I have an older copy of Corel Draw and I have been a Corel Draw customer for a long, long, long time. I didn't upgrade every new version as I use it for some page layout type projects for work related things.  So between the two I shall be fine.  I would download and check them out. But for the $74.97 for all three and no subscription, this was a true no-brainer purchase.  YMMV :D  Also Affinity seems more snappy to operate but I don't have the latest Corel Draw version ,so I'm not comparing fairly.    

@Brian Walton  thanks again for making my wallet a little lighter :)  I'll get you for this ;)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, InstrEd said:

From the one day with all of the Affinity programs I would say I will be happy with it. I have an older copy of Corel Draw and I have been a Corel Draw customer for a long, long, long time. I didn't upgrade every new version as I use it for some page layout type projects for work related things.  So between the two I shall be fine.  I would download and check them out. But for the $74.97 for all three and no subscription, this was a true no-brainer purchase.  YMMV :D  Also Affinity seems more snappy to operate but I don't have the latest Corel Draw version ,so I'm not comparing fairly.    

@Brian Walton  thanks again for making my wallet a little lighter :)  I'll get you for this ;)

I usually don't encourage spending...but these apps really are a great value for those that dabble in this space.

I'd agree on the snappyness of Affinity over Corel.  Corel has some deep features and tools, but it has a bit of the old code problem that also plagues Adobe as they continue to develop.  Both are really nice products....Affinity is just an insane value and I'm excided to see how far they take it as it gets developed.  Corel feels like a "I"ve arrived, now what?" product as it has been developed for so long.  Many of the updates (which you have to pay for) from say 2019 to 2020 felt like refinements of what were already there, instead of "this is worth many times more than the cost of Affinity suite new"

Affinity isn't perfect.  But at the price to get pro grade tools, I can't fault them.

My wife had to go in early this morning for work and I was up so I ended watching a few more videos on the software.  Have to say from what I have been watching I'm impressed. Hope to do a little project this weekend with it. Wish me luck :)  

• Like 1

Really happy with Designer. Finally able to pick up Photo (didn't see any BF sale; glad they got around to one). No need for Publisher, but it would be nice to have a video editor in their style. I had been using Corel's VideoStudio, but they're one of the bastidges that puts download timeouts in place. I have ALL of the installation files saved except for the installer itself. No way to recover it, so heck with them, and I bought NCH's Video Pad instead. Small. Fast. Capable enough for making videos for YouTube.

13 minutes ago, John Maar said:

Really happy with Designer. Finally able to pick up Photo (didn't see any BF sale; glad they got around to one). No need for Publisher, but it would be nice to have a video editor in their style. I had been using Corel's VideoStudio, but they're one of the bastidges that puts download timeouts in place. I have ALL of the installation files saved except for the installer itself. No way to recover it, so heck with them, and I bought NCH's Video Pad instead. Small. Fast. Capable enough for making videos for YouTube.

You might not have a need for publisher layouts, but if you buy publisher you will then be able to use studiolink to switch bettween the 3 apps more or less instantly.  That is helpful even if you don't touch the publisher side if you do any cross vector/photo work.  Note not every feature is still there when you do that, but most are....might consider running the demo to see if it woudl be worth the extra $25 to gain that.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

You might not have a need for publisher layouts, but if you buy publisher you will then be able to use studiolink to switch bettween the 3 apps more or less instantly.  That is helpful even if you don't touch the publisher side if you do any cross vector/photo work.  Note not every feature is still there when you do that, but most are....might consider running the demo to see if it woudl be worth the extra $25 to gain that.

Sounds reasonable. $25 gone. Thanks for the head's up. I'd never even looked at the Publisher page, so had never seen the Studio Link info.

EDIT: I always hated Microsoft's Publisher. Even though I have an Office 365 subscription, I never use it. And I tried.

Edited by John Maar

5 minutes ago, John Maar said:

I always hated Microsoft's Publisher. Even though I have an Office 365 subscription, I never use it. And I tried

Thought I was the only one about MS Publisher.  I also have an Office 365 subscription too. 

Now I have to decide if I should spent on some extra brushes. The lightning and chalk ones look tempting.

2 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Tell me about it.  I have been watching more of the designer videos to start with :D

Thankfully, the Serif website downloads FAST! Just bought the Chalk Dust, Abstract Paint Bundle and Abstract ABC brush packs. Just the Abstract Paint bundle is over 3 GB, so good thing!

42 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Thought I was the only one about MS Publisher.  I also have an Office 365 subscription too. 

Now I have to decide if I should spent on some extra brushes. The lightning and chalk ones look tempting.

I only have some of the content (most is actually 3rd party created), but each I tried was certainly high quality.

Lots of free brushes on the internet if you look around if you just want to expand the tool set:   https://www.brusheezy.com/free/affinity-designer

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

Wow that site has a lot. I guess I've been in a closet.  Didn't know there was so much out there in brushes.

Def grab this (pay what you want including $0)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/126561-500-affinity-designer-vector-pain-brushes-pay-what-you-want/

And if you search through this forum section you will also find a whole mess of free brushes and things.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/11-resources/

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

I bought Affinity Photo a couple of days ago at half price. It’s still the same price, but they added a lot of free bonus after I bought it. Oh well...

all you have to do is register the app (see the startup screen).  That should add the new content that was released today to your download product page.

I bought the apps years ago and still got it by doing this.

• Thanks 2