Calkewalk by BandLab to replace SONAR X1 LE

WaltBlues

Question

Hi ! I still work with SONAR X1 LE that suits to me. I get problems with VST Plugins as the X1 LE cannot read them: too recent.... So I wanted install Waves (amp simulations) and in order to be able I was told to use Cakewalk by BandLab ..... which is ex Sonar.

My concern is that I might loose all my data in Sonar X1LE when installing Calkewalk by BandLab as it has the same files in 😄 like Calkwalk Content (Audio Library, Midi Library, SONAR X1 LE) and Calkwalk Projects (where all the detailed trackfiles are). Not only the recordings but also the effects that I have used from S-Gear (mainly) could be lost....

Is it possible to know what happens if I install Calkewalk by BandLab with these files and effects ? When I start to install Cakewalk by Bandlab, it starts with the installation of these 2 files Calkwalk Content and Projects: will the X1LE files and effects still be there or will this replace the X1 LE content and projects and I would  have to re-install not only these but also the plugins for the effects ? I ask that as one year ago I had a monster crash with my computer and the hell a lot of problems to re-install the plugins for the sound effects......

Thanks in advance !

Walt🙂

Edited by Walt

7 answers to this question

I believe X1LE is 32bit only

If this is the case, Cakewalk by BandLab will not affect the X1LE install at all.

In the case of old 64bit Cakewalk DAWs, CbB installs as an upgrade. This means the program, programdata, content and user files have separate folders and the shared folders are updated with backward compatible files.

Either way, your projects and 3rd party plug-ins are not affected.

After installing CbB both X1Le and CbB will be available along with any additional plug-ins.

Since, it appears that X1LE is 32bit, consider installing the latest 64bit version of any 3rd party plug-ins on the PC.

As a rule 64bit DAWs run better with 64bit plug-ins. 

• Like 1

You won't loose anything as Scook has said. I just did a re build and I installed X1LE first to grab VVocal. In my opinion it was the worst version of Cakewalk ever released. You really do need to move forward. You can still go back to X1 as you are learning CbB but you will never go back once you see the 1,000 of improvements made since then. X1LE was a bare bones version.  CbB is the top of the line Cakewalk based on Platinum. 

And as Steve said X1LE is only 32 bit. Nobody should be using 32 bit plug ins anymore unless it's an old favorite that never got upgraded.  If I get a crash it will always be an old project with a 32 bit VST. I have removed them from my folders and put them out of the way. Here is a screen shot of X1LE plug in manager.  If I opened this in any later versions there is actually more than a full page  of effects but they are all VST 64 bit so don't show in X1LE. 2021-01-19.png.b855c70feb9f78accfab0cafa035ea7f.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Good to know.

I guess I normally use 8.5 Producer.

I only have X1LE and the next  is  X3e Studio.  I haven't tried to load VVocal so didn't notice it didn't work.  

I doubt I'll need VVocal but it pops up on older projects  which at this point I think I've mostly updated.  

V-Vocal was part of SONAR Producer 5 through X2.

I do not believe it was updated after 8.5.

I installed it with X2 and it works in CbB but it definitely lacks the same level of integration as Melodyne.

If it is in any projects, it may be a good idea to bounce the clips and remove it or have a recovery plan when the clips won't load.

On 1/19/2021 at 12:37 PM, Walt said:

Hi ! I still work with SONAR X1 LE that suits to me. I get problems with VST Plugins as the X1 LE cannot read them: too recent.... So I wanted install Waves (amp simulations) and in order to be able I was told to use Cakewalk by BandLab ..... which is ex Sonar.

My concern is that I might loose all my data in Sonar X1LE when installing Calkewalk by BandLab as it has the same files in 😄 like Calkwalk Content (Audio Library, Midi Library, SONAR X1 LE) and Calkwalk Projects (where all the detailed trackfiles are). Not only the recordings but also the effects that I have used from S-Gear (mainly) could be lost....

Is it possible to know what happens if I install Calkewalk by BandLab with these files and effects ? When I start to install Cakewalk by Bandlab, it starts with the installation of these 2 files Calkwalk Content and Projects: will the X1LE files and effects still be there or will this replace the X1 LE content and projects and I would  have to re-install not only these but also the plugins for the effects ? I ask that as one year ago I had a monster crash with my computer and the hell a lot of problems to re-install the plugins for the sound effects......

Thanks in advance !

Walt🙂

I used LE back in 2013 (Still have my disc.) Moved to platinum, now Cakewalk by Bandlab. It will be the best musical move you'll make.