Cakewalk won't launch/open

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone ever actually figure out the real problem.  Seems like this thread is a year old now.  Seems to be midi related as I can do a fresh boot of the laptop, then open Cakewalk, then it starts to open but crashes and leaves a midi process abandoned.  The only way to clear it is to reboot. 

I had some time last night to do some digging.  I knew that it was working previously so I went to the install directory.  Mine is here.

C:\Users\myUserIdHere\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk

The I started looking through the folders.

In the ACT Data folder there was a file named sonaract.xml with a recent date on it.  I renamed the file with a .old extention added to the end of the name and confirmed the change.

In the Cakewalk Core folder there were 3 files with the same recent date as the file in the ACT Data folder.  I did not feel like changing all three extensions so I just drug them to the desktop.

I rebooted the machine.  Maybe not necessary but I did anyway.  After the reboot Cakewalk opened successfully and recreated the files.  I had to remap my Launchkey but that is a simple process.  Not sure if this will work for everyone but I hope it helps someone.

Edited by Bryant Walley
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bryant Walley said:

I had some time last night to do some digging.  I knew that it was working previously so I went to the install directory.  Mine is here.

C:\Users\myUserIdHere\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk

The I started looking through the folders.

In the ACT Data folder there was a file named sonaract.xml with a recent date on it.  I renamed the file with a .old extention added to the end of the name and confirmed the change.

In the Cakewalk Core folder there were 3 files with the same recent date as the file in the ACT Data folder.  I did not feel like changing all three extensions so I just drug them to the desktop.

I rebooted the machine.  Maybe not necessary but I did anyway.  After the reboot Cakewalk opened successfully and recreated the files.  I had to remap my Launchkey but that is a simple process.  Not sure if this will work for everyone but I hope it helps someone.

@Bryant Walley - can you let us know which files you moved to the destktop?  We can make sure any failures with these files are handled better in the future.

If you still have the originals, please PM either me or @Jonathan Sasor

• 4 weeks later...

This fixed it for me with one slight change/clarification which I inserted as "3a". The words between the *s are my own observations. (I copied the rest from the old Sonar Cakewalk support pages):

Cakewalk won’t launch

If your program will no longer launch, you may be able to resolve the problem by forcing it to re-write some settings behind the scenes. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your computer keyboard, then press the R key to open the Run prompt.

2. Type in the following: %appdata%\cakewalk

3. Click OK. This opens the Cakewalk content folder in Windows Explorer

*3a. Go UP one folder hierarchy level to view the folder you were just in*

4. Right-click the Cakewalk folder (*the one you were just in*) and select Rename on the pop-up menu.

5. Change the folder's name by adding the word “backup” to the end of it. For example: “Cakewalk backup”.

6. Close Windows Explorer and restart Cakewalk.

7. When prompted with the message “Cakewalk will now personalize your user settings”, click OK. (*For me at this point it just reopened without this notification but it did show that it was scanning my VST plugins which took a little bit of time and then I was good to go.*)

I hope this helps.

Edited by alvester
Fixed missing punctuation
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:15 PM, James Meyerhoffer said:

Hello everyone. Long time user in need of a bit of technical help. My install was working fine, I moved locations, now Cakewalk won't open. When I click on the Button in the Assistant, the outer frame of the app with flash, and then disappear. I have removed and reinstalled both only to have the same condition. I think it might somehow be Audio device related in Windows 10, but honestly I've exhausted many options. Cakewalk simply will not open. Flashes, then crashes instantly back to a desktop. 

What can I do to narrow this down? Not sure what caused this out of the blue, but it's brought my entire rig to halt. Is there a diagnostic log I can dive into to see wtf is happening with it? I'm sitting in a room full of instruments and can't record a note. :( 

I think I got it

I have the same problem today and I opened task manager and end the cakewalk background process, it works!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ETee said:

I have the same problem today and I opened task manager and end the cakewalk background process, it works!

Something is preventing Cakewalk from completely shutting down, often either a badly behaved plug-in or audio driver.

If there are any 32bit plug-ins in the project, suspect them first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/5/2022 at 12:33 AM, alvester said:

This fixed it for me with one slight change/clarification which I inserted as "3a". The words between the *s are my own observations. (I copied the rest from the old Sonar Cakewalk support pages):

Cakewalk won’t launch

If your program will no longer launch, you may be able to resolve the problem by forcing it to re-write some settings behind the scenes. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Hold down the Windows key on your computer keyboard, then press the R key to open the Run prompt.

4. Right-click the Cakewalk folder (*the one you were just in*) and select Rename on the pop-up menu.

5. Change the folder's name by adding the word “backup” to the end of it. For example: “Cakewalk backup”.

7. When prompted with the message “Cakewalk will now personalize your user settings”, click OK. (*For me at this point it just reopened without this notification but it did show that it was scanning my VST plugins which took a little bit of time and then I was good to go.*)

I hope this helps.

This worked for me. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello colleagues,

my problem was that Cakewalk tried to use the asio driver for the built in realtek device,

so I went to regedit

deleted under 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO 

the internal ASIO device parameters (completely) (Realtek ASIO)

and now it works fine 

I just had the problem where Cakewalk would not launch. I installed it for the first time (on windows 10), then after closing Cakewalk, it would not launch again. I right clicked on the Cakewalk shortcut, then selected troubleshoot. Then I clicked launch with recommended settings, then it worked again. I hope this will help some people.

3 hours ago, DraigCymraeg said:

I just had the problem where Cakewalk would not launch. I installed it for the first time (on windows 10), then after closing Cakewalk, it would not launch again. I right clicked on the Cakewalk shortcut, then selected troubleshoot. Then I clicked launch with recommended settings, then it worked again. I hope this will help some people.

When it's not launching again after closing, look in task manager, Cakewalk will sometimes stay there in background processes. You would have to kill the process and it will open then.

• Great Idea 1

This happen to me too.

-Reinstall and try to lunch by double click desktop icon => Not start, not even create files %appdata%\cakewalk .

- Double click exe from windows explorer => no luck

- Right click and run as Administrator ==> can not start

- Type and run from command line (cmd or powershell) ==> working !!

Strange behavior. maybe conflict with permission on my system but this is my work around for now lol.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:33 AM, alvester said:

Cakewalk won’t launch

I hope this helps.

This worked for me. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue occasionally since Sonar 3 Producer Edition. 

Yes, I'm that old and have been playing with this software that long.

Back then a reboot of the PC did the trick.

Other than that,99% of the time it's an issue with the audio driver. 

Sometimes a corrupted driver will create problem.  Before playing around in the System Registry, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows Audio Driver for your particular interface. It never hurts to make sure you're up to date anyway, and occasionally, MS throws us a curveball that a driver update can resolve. 

Today I just happened to run into this after I updated to the latest version of Cakewalk so I thought I browse around and see if it was just my system or a bug.

Seems it's just me!

This time mine was a little more straight forward. 

I simply power cycled my external audio interface and a guitar processor.  Restarted Bandlab and voila, I was able to load the DAW and select a project. 

Good luck my peeps,

Don

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 3:37 AM, ETee said:

I think I got it

This worked for me! Thanks!

(I had about 10 Cakewalk processes running there... Killed them all.)

• 4 months later...