Cakewalk won't launch/open

Hello everyone. Long time user in need of a bit of technical help. My install was working fine, I moved locations, now Cakewalk won't open. When I click on the Button in the Assistant, the outer frame of the app with flash, and then disappear. I have removed and reinstalled both only to have the same condition. I think it might somehow be Audio device related in Windows 10, but honestly I've exhausted many options. Cakewalk simply will not open. Flashes, then crashes instantly back to a desktop. 

What can I do to narrow this down? Not sure what caused this out of the blue, but it's brought my entire rig to halt. Is there a diagnostic log I can dive into to see wtf is happening with it? I'm sitting in a room full of instruments and can't record a note. :( Help!

Edited by James Meyerhoffer

I physically moved the PC to another home. I have removed and re-installed Cakewalk, and the Assistant MULTIPLE times... it does nothing, nor does it change the behavior. Install location is always default. No matter WHERE I start Cakewalk from, it flashes to outline of the Program for a split second, then crashes....every....single....time. I have disabled AV, given it Admin rights, almost everything I can think of.... It just stopped for some reason and now it simply will not start. It has to be leaving a log record somewhere right?  

• 2 months later...

I am having the same issue.  I installed it got it to open the first time.  never could get any output sound after trying all drivers and audio options, so shut down and unplugged all controllers and restarted the PC.  When i tried to re-open the same thing.  splash screen with the grey kernel screen loading behind it, and back to desktop.  Windows 10.  My Rekordbox works just fine, Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt also, using the same audio profiles, that do have sound output.  But Cakewalk simply will not load, uninstall, re-install repeat, take two pills and call me in the morning. No crash dialog at all, just like it never happened.

Just now, Enig-J said:

I am having the same issue.  I installed it got it to open the first time.  never could get any output sound after trying all drivers and audio options, so shut down and unplugged all controllers and restarted the PC.  When i tried to re-open the same thing.  splash screen with the grey kernel screen loading behind it, and back to desktop.  Windows 10.  My Rekordbox works just fine, Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt also, using the same audio profiles, that do have sound output.  But Cakewalk simply will not load, uninstall, re-install repeat, take two pills and call me in the morning. No crash dialog at all, just like it never happened.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:48 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

Do you get a crash dialog? That is the log. If so send a link to the dump file and we can tell you why its crashing.
Link in my sig.

no crash report. Upon uninstall, i combed the registry and system for any lingering files that might cause it to act the same.  No luck at all.

• 1 month later...

I just refreshed windows 10, and then i've got the same issue.

- no matter how I launched the application, it shows up as a flash and then nothing.

- also tried uninstall/reinstall few times, no luck.

- checked the Task Manager, didn't see the applicaiton/process 

4 hours ago, Leo Chen said:

I just refreshed windows 10, and then i've got the same issue.

- no matter how I launched the application, it shows up as a flash and then nothing.

- also tried uninstall/reinstall few times, no luck.

- checked the Task Manager, didn't see the applicaiton/process 

You could try the following:

1. Run RegEdit
2. Within RegEdit, locate  Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk
3. Rename the Core subkey to _Core
4. Run Cakewalk 

This will force Cakewalk to act as is if it is installed for the first time. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 7:07 PM, msmcleod said:

You could try the following:

1. Run RegEdit
2. Within RegEdit, locate  Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk
3. Rename the Core subkey to _Core
4. Run Cakewalk 

This will force Cakewalk to act as is if it is installed for the first time. 

Hi, I just tried, same result...

i'm thinking if this issue is not fixed when MSFT launched Win 11, then I for sure will drop Cakewalk.

thanks.

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, Willie Scoggins said:

Agree with John Vere, "use WASAPI mode with on board audio. Only use ASIO that comes supplied with your audio interface drivers". Worked for me after most recent update.

I just launched CbB right after booting up and it never opened. Turns out it went directly to Background Processes, it's favorite hiding spot these days. 

For me it's almost always an audio or USB conflict.