PA Ampeg SVT-VR Classic FREE

Leok85

17 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

This really is half of SVT-VR which I also have (and love). I was curious to see if they tweaked anything so I played through both of them to check, but no, it's just... the (now free) half of an existing, nice plugin. 

giphy.gif

I'm betting the full version has more than double the IRs...as this one only has 3.  

7 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I'm betting the full version has more than double the IRs...as this one only has 3.  

True, it's also missing some extras in the FX Rack. You could say it's 40% of SVT-VR. Still very nice for a freebie. 

Edited by fitzroy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Just never had any use for PA plugins. Recently upgraded to Amplitube 5 and have the SVT suite in there. Also have Mark Studio 2 and GK Amplification 2. Still, for free, this one was hard to say no. The lack of mic adjustments on the cab is disappointing but still sounds great!

I have one of the Ampeg suites for Amplitube 5, but then I tried a couple of the PA ones, and honestly thought they sounded/felt better and the foot print hit is basically nothing compared to what AT5 takes up.  I got PA for both sound quality and efficiency.  Haven't tried out this one yet though, but they clearly make some good stuff.

I don't think the Ampeg was worlds better, but trying the Fuchs ODS and Train, got me sold on trying other PA Amps as those offer something very different than anything in the AT5 package and the quality vs foot print is unmached from anything I've experienced on the Amp Sim front.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jackson white said:

Same here. It has been S-Gear for me, but these are good. The Chandler has also been useful, albeit a bit more limited in tonal range. 

Now if they could only get their act together on preset display/management. 

I like Chandler as well as it is so unique and has some variety.  I don't think it is quite on the level of the Fuchs ones.

For context I have first hand experience playing through and recording both a real Dumble ODS and multiple Ken Fischer made Trainwrecks....the amps that inspired the Fuchs concepts and of course then the plugins.  Now they don't sound and respond like the real thing, but honestly absolutly close enough for the cost of these things.  

Now the Train has WAY more gain on tap than any Trainwreck I've ever played, but if you set it up right - it can given some "wreck" like tones for sure.  And the ODS....well I love a Clean Dumble sound (I'm not a fan of the super over drive/compressed "dumble tone") and the knobs and tone controls are honestly surprisngly familar as they are manipulated.  Brainworks knows what they are doing, and while they don't sound and respond exactly like the real thing.....I'd argue it is likley easier to get quality recorded tones easily with them than it is with the real thing.  

A 30 watt Wreck through a vintage ampeg with green backs (owned and selected by kenny himself) puts out way above 100db (my db meter was indicated over 120db) not even cranked all the way up.....and to get the richness and harmonic 3d effects with Microphone placement of what the amp really sounds like.....a lot harder than you would imagine.  There is a rawness to it that no emulation does though, all the emulations end up sounding like a tame recording but with that ball park of "tone."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, abacab said:

Does it sound better than the Amplitube SVX-VR version (in the SVX2 collection)?

In my experience all amp sims (and also real amps) depend heavily on the bass/guitar used! So my opinion on an amp sim changes very quickly if I change the bass or guitar 😄!

• Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 4:06 PM, Monomox said:

shouldn't the stupid PA plugin manager have a modicum of intelligence and track what you've already installed so you don't have to? wouldn't that be the *minimum* a plugin manager oughtta do? do you guys like to complain as much as I do? feels great

EDIT: shouldn't this "manager" also authorize plugins since it's using your account to connect to and download from PA anyways? sheesh

^^this!

^^and this!

• Like 1

The Ampeg is a nice freebie but it coincided with me demoing the Nembrini Blackice over the past few days. The latter is the best bass amp I’ve ever played through, not that I’m claiming to be an authority. It’s also very versatile and the possibilities endless. At the current sale price of $39 it’s obviously not free, but it’s worth every cent in my opinion.

14 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

For context I have first hand experience playing through and recording both a real Dumble ODS and multiple Ken Fischer made Trainwrecks....the amps that inspired the Fuchs concepts and of course then the plugins.  Now they don't sound and respond like the real thing, but honestly absolutly close enough for the cost of these things.  

The problem with emulating a Dumble ODS is that there's no "reference" model.  All of them were custom made for each customer with slight changes in the tone stack, gain structure and so on. No copy will sound like the real deal, ever.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

51 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The problem with emulating a Dumble ODS is that there's no "reference" model.  All of them were custom made for each customer with slight changes in the tone stack, gain structure and so on. No copy will sound like the real deal, ever.

While this is true (and the same thing and more can be said about Wrecks), the reality is the core circut always has some base charactaristics.  I've played a few of them, and while they are all different there are a bunch of similarities.  My statment about them not souinding or responding like the real thing has nothing to do with those differences, it is about the core response of the techology as well as the reporduction of harmonics and distortion.  I've heard and played clones of the amps as well, and those can be closer than the modeler, I've heard some that are even pretty much spot on.  And A/B'd them with the exact same cab.

Copies don't sound like the real deal becuase of limitations in the technology, not becuase of variations between amps.  

These are also simulations made by FUCHS, not Dumble and his stupid gooped up circuit boards.

4 hours ago, mibby said:

You don't have to buy a sound card in this case!  🙂

lol true but , i can't comment , but seems like unison enabled it's night and day , witcgh might explain how native version are great but not top notch !!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

the core circut always has some base charactaristics

The main point for me. All sims sound different from real amps to me and the player is still by far the most important factor, but some just seem to "vibe" better and I'm able to get better performances. I doubt I'll ever see a real Dumble let alone play through one but lately considering D-style pedals as an alternative to sims. 

2 minutes ago, jackson white said:

The main point for me. All sims sound different from real amps to me and the player is still by far the most important factor, but some just seem to "vibe" better and I'm able to get better performances. I doubt I'll ever see a real Dumble let alone play through one but lately considering D-style pedals as an alternative to sims. 

I've been very fortunate in the access I have to world class amps.  I have access to the amp Kenny called the best amp he ever built bascially any time I want thanks to being close friends with the owner of it.  This also opened doors to testing and demoing tons of valuable amps and gear.  

I've had both a wreck and dumble side by side on the same stage.  Honestly when you get into the Kemper type of thing, the tone itself can be pretty hard to tell the difference in a mix for many amps.  We percieve real amps differently as we are not used to only hearing them recorded, we get to hear the actual sound it produces which is worlds different when you are talking about an amp like a Wreck.

I've tried no less than 20 "dumble" pedals and still own a couple.  Depends on the sound you are after.  I think the Ethos does a good job on the clean channel of getting the EQ curve and shape out of the amp.  I haven't played a single pedal that I think has a really pleasing "saturation" characteristic on that front though.  But then again, as far as overdrive, dynamics and harmonics....the Wreck is where it is at.  Dumble is way overrated on that front not just hte pedals, but the real thing.  The clean tones are heavenly though....ala Steve Kimock.

• Thanks 1