Audio Engine Dropout

tdehan

Question

All of a sudden in one project I am working on when it gets to just about the end of the song Cakewalk stops with the following message:

1152421975_dropout.JPG.f6373af05782760ab476e98ce0fb9ee9.JPG

I looked up what message 5 is and it says either the disc is fragmented (which it is not as I just defragged prior to working on this project) or to increase the buffer size in Audio / Sync and Caching / Playback I/O Buffer Size (KB).  The I/O buffer size is set to 256 I assume by default.  I increased it to 356 but the same thing happens!  What size should the be?  Why is this suddenly happening as it has not prior at all while working on the project?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Increase the sample buffer size ( in Preferences | Audio | Driver settings) even further and see what happens.....  There is no “What size should the buffer be”.  If it is a buffer issue, then the “size it should be” is when you are no longer having any drop outs.

On a side note, it could be a plugin doing this.  Try without any plugins enabled (illuminate the “FX” on the Mix Module)

Also, you don't mention the type of drive your Audio data is on (Spindle 5600 RPM / 7200 RPM / SSD)

2 hours ago, scook said:

The code indicates a disk buffer problem not an audio driver buffer problem.

Try 512.

Maybe.

However, if I had a buck for the number the times a diagnostic says that it's “X” and it ends up being “Y”, I would be able to retire by now....

Sometimes one has to think outside the square.....

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Maybe.

However, if I had a buck for the number the times a diagnostic says that it's “X” and it ends up being “Y”, I would be able to retire by now....

Sometimes one has to think outside the square.....

Very true - the drop-out code is pretty accurate as the cause of the drop-out, but that's not to say that it's the underlying cause of the dropout.

For example:  if MS is downloading a huge update in the background, or running a virus scan it could cause this drop-out.

I've also had similar issues in the past when my audio interface was plugged into the wrong USB port or PCI slot (i.e. one that is sharing the same IRQ as the disk controller).

But if it was working before, but has suddenly started happening, I'd check to see what other processes may be hammering your disk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Promidi said:

On a side note, it could be a plugin doing this.  Try without any plugins enabled (illuminate the “FX” on the Mix Module)

Also, you don't mention the type of drive your Audio data is on (Spindle 5600 RPM / 7200 RPM / SSD)

I have no idea what this means?

What is "illuminate FX on the Mix Module"?

When you say "what type of drive my audio data is on, are you referring to the hard drive?  If so, it is a Western Digital WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0 6TB internal HDD 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

8 hours ago, scook said:

The code indicates a disk buffer problem not an audio driver buffer problem.

Try 512.

What does a disk buffer problem mean and how does one fix this?  And, why would this all be happening suddenly?