Automation Envelopes, and Offset Mode

Colin Nicholls

Nice write up Colin.

One point of confusion for me was I've always thought of automation lanes and envelopes as two distinct entities with automation lanes (or tracks) as an entity for documenting automated changes  while envelopes are the outer boundaries of a waveform.

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

Nice write up Colin.

One point of confusion for me was I've always thought of automation lanes and envelopes as two distinct entities with automation lanes (or tracks) as an entity for documenting automated changes  while envelopes are the outer boundaries of a waveform.

I deliberately side-stepped the question of "how else can we create envelopes" i.e. automation lanes precisely because it gets confusing fast, and, yes, I think it helps to think of them as separate things... and then sometimes an automation lane will turn into an envelope in the track... and it is very difficult to say "yeah well it's working as designed" 🙂

I like the way you describe them differently. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 11:08 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

I deliberately side-stepped the question of "how else can we create envelopes" i.e. automation lanes precisely because it gets confusing fast, and, yes, I think it helps to think of them as separate things... and then sometimes an automation lane will turn into an envelope in the track... and it is very difficult to say "yeah well it's working as designed" 🙂

I like the way you describe them differently. Thanks.

@Colin Nicholls I appreciate you sharing that thought.  Your manual for the CbB Theme editor is a great guide.  You have quite a way with words.

• Like 1

@Colin Nicholls Thanks for the clear tutorial. I wish they would finally make a CbB webpage where there's a collection of all animated GIF tutorials. I think it works much better than just reading boring manuals (maybe it's just me, but I prefer trial and error over standard manuals. However, the animated one I do like to follow).

Btw, I love the music on your website. Did you compose and record it all yourself? Very musical and original...Is it you singing? Nice clear voice! I'm really impressed👍

Edited by Teegarden