Work It Out

bats brew

I was too busy tapping my feet the first time through to think critically. Good lord this is a fabulous tune. It's hard to get around the great playing and instrumentation to actually nit pick something! It was sheer genius in the first minute, by the way.

I know it's too late now but the main thing that hits me is that the snare is a little bit thin. It cuts through real well but I'd like a little thonk on my forehead, if you get my drift. The kit sounds fabulous, love the player.

The other thing, and its a personal preference I'm sure because you are such a terrific guitarist, is that the lead is a touch too forward (for example around 3:00). But this is being picky.

Thanks for sharing another whirlwind of a song! Just wow.

Timbo

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 3:36 PM, kevmsmith81 said:

Like it.  Once it kicks in following the intro, the riff reminds me of early Def Leppard.  And that's a good thing.

thanks kev! that's funny,

def leppard,

i followed them from on thru the night, up to probably hysteria,

liked listening to them, but i'd be hard pressed to find any song of theirs, that sounds like this....

it's interesting how people hear certain things, that slide right past me,

and i love to hear the variety of things people DO hear, so thanks for sharing that!

On 1/23/2021 at 4:10 PM, timboalogo said:

I was too busy tapping my feet the first time through to think critically. Good lord this is a fabulous tune. It's hard to get around the great playing and instrumentation to actually nit pick something! It was sheer genius in the first minute, by the way.

I know it's too late now but the main thing that hits me is that the snare is a little bit thin. It cuts through real well but I'd like a little thonk on my forehead, if you get my drift. The kit sounds fabulous, love the player.

The other thing, and its a personal preference I'm sure because you are such a terrific guitarist, is that the lead is a touch too forward (for example around 3:00). But this is being picky.

Thanks for sharing another whirlwind of a song! Just wow.

Timbo

very kind words timbo, thanks so much.

one day, i may re-mix this to feature the drums more,

cuz yea, he's kickin' butt on this one.

as far as mix choices, sometimes i just want something to dominate for a reason...

maybe it's the meaness of the vibe, or sweetness, but i'm not afraid to move something front and center,

that does not jive with 'typical' mix approaches,

i figure, be brave. why not.

3 hours ago, batsbrew said:

very kind words timbo, thanks so much.

one day, i may re-mix this to feature the drums more,

cuz yea, he's kickin' butt on this one.

as far as mix choices, sometimes i just want something to dominate for a reason...

maybe it's the meaness of the vibe, or sweetness, but i'm not afraid to move something front and center,

that does not jive with 'typical' mix approaches,

i figure, be brave. why not.

You're absolutely right - the artist rules. It's hard to critique stuff when you weren't there through the whole process.