Better Video Support

NealClark

I would really like to see better video support within Cakewalk by Bandlab. I have been a long time Cakewalk user and video handing has always been a little too basic compared with other DAW's. The lack of ability to offset a video into a video track timeline is a major hurdle for those that score or write to video. Being able to insert a video track at any Bar, measure or marker would be a major step forward.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:42 PM, Kevin Perry said:

Add/edit the following to aud.ini:

[Video] 
VideoEngine=0

Thanks for the reply but I have that set already, it doesnt help in any way with the points I mentioned.

If I am supplied a video to score to and I want to insert into my track timeline at bar 3 so that I have some free time to "collect my thoughts and get my hands into position", on whatever instrument I may be using, before playing to the video. I can't seem to find anyway to offset the video.

Could you explain how those settings would help in the scenario I suggested ?

The AUD.ini switch is documented here https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.07.html

The DirectShow engine (VideoEngine=0) allows moving the video on the timeline

The Media Foundation Engine does not.

But in order for CbB to use the DirectShow engine the video must be in a format the engine recognizes. 

If CbB cannot play a video with DirectShow it will automatically switch to the Media Foundation engine regardless of the AUD.ini setting.

There are quite a few threads on the old forum about this.

If you want to read about it use Google to search

site:forum.cakewalk.com directshow noel

and you will get several threads with Noel's comments about the MF and Directshow video engines.

12 hours ago, scook said:

The AUD.ini switch is documented here https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.07.html

The DirectShow engine (VideoEngine=0) allows moving the video on the timeline

The Media Foundation Engine does not.

But in order for CbB to use the DirectShow engine the video must be in a format the engine recognizes. 

If CbB cannot play a video with DirectShow it will automatically switch to the Media Foundation engine regardless of the AUD.ini setting.

There are quite a few threads on the old forum about this.

If you want to read about it use Google to search

site:forum.cakewalk.com directshow noel

and you will get several threads with Noel's comments about the MF and Directshow video engines.

From reading through those older topics it seems that the only way I can get this to work is to transcode the video to a supported format. It's a work around of sorts but not ideal. I do understand what Noel was refering to as regards the MS "bug" regarding this and the frustration that it causes. However .... other DAW's don't seem to suffer the same issues, Cubase being one example,  so I am wondering how they work around the issues and Cakewalk does not ? Having to transcode large video clips can add significantly to the time it takes to get down to doing some work in Cakewalk. I appreciate this is an area that has obviously had major discusion over the years but it still keeps coming back up as no real solution seems forthcoming. Whether that's a MS issue or a Cakewalk one shouldn't really be a concern of us end users, we would just like it to work seemlessly as it appears to do in other DAW's. I have been a long time advocate of Cakewalk, having used almost all other DAW's over the years, and I love it and am familiar with it. It's like a comfy pair of slippers to me. As far as music production goes it does all I want and more and has done for many years. Scoring to video is a newer thing for me, more so over the last couple of years, and is something I get asked to do more and more. I'd just prefer it to be a little less hassle than it appears to be. Being able to just grab the video, in some of the most common formats / codecs like MP4 and H.264,  put it where I need it on the timeline and get making music for it is the main thing for me.

Appreciate you taking time to help and give some pointers. It's helped a bit to get a workaround but still isn't the fully fledged solution that I think we need.

Thanks again.

Edited by NealClark