Judee on a Broken Guitar

53mph

I've reworked the sound of my Julee, and renamed it Judee (after Sill).

I've tried mixing up styles - British/American folk with Italian folk themes with additional wide drones (LABS steel is in there). I also got to mess around with the AAS EqDelay.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, jack c. said:

great recording job and music,i like this.what vst plugins do ya use for mixing/mastering?jack c.

Hi Jack, the guitar playing is me. The piano sound is SpitFire Audio - Oliver Patrice Weder's felt piano. I've taken to playing it through Nembrini Echobandit to make the tails build on release.  I love the sound of his felt piano - so nice.

The other instrument which sounds a bit like a lute is Performance Samples River Harp with a bit of Objeq Delay.

And finally, the droning sound is LABS Lap Steel played through my own special FX Chain.

Over the years I've built up some FX chains that are like the Kentucky Fried Chicken herbs and spices recipe.... ;)

Thanks for taking an interest.

19 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Would it be inappropriate to ask how you are capturing your bottom end? of your guitar obviously. 

I'm not too sure with this recording because I think I recorded the guitar on an edirol digital recorder in a hotel room in France - I probably tweaked the sound later on and I'm sure I pulled up the bass frequencies post production. The guitar is a battered old flamenco that I bought a lifetime ago in London with battered strings that I rarely change. I use it as my travel guitar.    It's a hard top so has a rich tone. It's definitely on the bassy side - indeed, I've used it as the bass on a number of tracks over the years.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 12:59 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

I love the sound of this, and now want to get a flamenco guitar!  I can't finger pick, but that's OK.  I'd find some use for it.  Anyway, your blend of instruments are just right, and put me in a good mood.  Thanks!

Thanks Lynn. My finger picking style is self taught (just like the rest of my skills 😆) and from listening to lots of John Fahey.  

The flamenco was an odd choice back when I was in love with a Spanish ballet dancer and considering moving to Spain for her....I now live in Italy, so that tells you all you need to know. 😉

I've always loved eclectic combinations of sounds. And I always seem to gravitate back to 'real' instruments as opposed to VSTs. Something so much more 'human' to the sound of a string slide or a bum note than virtuals. What do you say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1