Perpetual license for last Win7 compatible CbB? (Noel?)

twelvetone

CbB requires periodic re-registering.

For those of us that want to avoid the Win10 issues ,
would it be possible to get the last  CbB that runs on Win7 
in a form that does NOT require re-registering?

In this way it will be possible to freeze ones DAW and know it will always work (technical failures notwithstanding)

There must be a reason for the re-registering so I figure Noel would be the person to ask about this.

Edited by twelvetone

Good question. I'm also staying with Windows 7. I'm using an older CbB version, but not too old, maybe one or two back. I'm wary about updating, as it's only a matter of time before CbB just won't work on Windows 7 anymore. This would be a great gesture toward those of us who just can't hack Windows 10, but continue to find CbB the best DAW for us. We are probably a minority at this point, and most of us likely old gray farts, but we're still here, part of the Cakewalk community.

8 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

We are probably a minority at this point,

Been a minority for years. In 2016, according to the data collected through Cakewalk analytics, 64bit Win10 was reported as the most used OS with almost 3x the users of 64bit Win7. 

There are no issues with W10 other than incompatibility  with older hardware and software. The ONLY reason I can see to keep using W7 is if you have hardware or software that is real old and does not work on windows 10. I keep a laptop running W7  for this reason.  This is a great solution.  And one thing that is noticeable to me is how slow W7 is. The Laptop is a i5 with SSD drive etc. and same specs and software versions as my desktop more or less.  I use it for live recording sessions and it's noticeably slower.  

You'll have to change someday. Software companies left W7 in the dust and asking for support is hopeless. That is why they all announced that "Support for W7 ends soon" and that was at least a few years ago. Keep your old computer running w7 for things that only run on it and build yourself a belter preforming machine to move forward. 

My Win 7 system was built in 2009. I can't do an in-place win10 update for reasons unknown. I figure that I will ride it out for as long as possible. I'm stuck at certain older versions of software for my UAD Apollo due to restrictions related to not wanting to chase really high prices for a thunderbolt update and W 10 updates. So, When it comes time to update - it will likely cost both a high end computer and a high end interface to get back to simply covering an OS compatibility. At my age I determined it's not really worth 5 - 6 K just to stay current. I'm very glad that CbB is opting for roll back to last install with every update. When the time comes to lock it down  - so be it.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

The ONLY reason I can see to keep using W7 is if you have hardware or software that is real old and does not work on windows 10. I keep a laptop running W7  for this reason. 

I keep a hard drive with a Win7 Pro installation, and one with a Win XP as well (expensive film scanner abandoned by the manufacturer with no drivers for newer Wins) and a drive drawer on my machine. So far my office machine will run all three.

• Like 1

If you read the whole thread you'll see it was not windows update but the OS 7200 HD that was on it way out.  You'll see that in the end  I easily did a fresh install and in less than a half day had a much better system up and running.  This machine is now really much faster that before.   It used to take a good minute to boot and would hang on the log in screen. Even after the desktop opened the wheel would spin for a good minute and icons would keep refreshing .  Now I'm open and steady in less than 20 seconds. No flashing icons or spinning busy mouse pointer.  And rendering seems faster on exports. 

I am not anti W7 in any way.  As I say I still use it. I also have a netbook with XP on it because my 2006 Epson CD label printer only runs on XP 32 bit.  Talk about a terrible experience when you try and do anything else! Forget it. I find W7 very user friendly and most tasks work just about the same as W10 but the machine is noticeably slower when using Cakewalk. There are some little subtle differences too. Hard to explain but you go to do something and go, oh crud that doesn't work in W7.  

I would never survive if I had to revert to Sonar. I fired it  up after I installed it as part of the process of grabbing the Sonar freebies. Man it looks sad now. I opened 8.5 and it was almost like a shareware DAW.  

Personally W10 has been the most trouble free OS I've used and I find it is invisible to me when I'm working inside my Music Apps anyhow.  Unplug the LAN cable if your smart your DPC will drop to nothing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scook said:

Been a minority for years. In 2016, according to the data collected through Cakewalk analytics, 64bit Win10 was reported as the most used OS with almost 3x the users of 64bit Win7. 

I think some folks that stay on Win7 may do so out of unease with Win10 and so also turn off Cakewalk Analytics.

I am building up a new DAW on a new i7 laptop (been at it for months- plug-in license transfers!!)

But  I would appreciate the security of having my offline Win7 studio PC frozen with the last possible CbB to fall back on.

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

I would never survive if I had to revert to Sonar. I fired it  up after I installed it as part of the process of grabbing the Sonar freebies. Man it looks sad now. I opened 8.5 and it was almost like a shareware DAW.  

Personally W10 has been the most trouble free OS I've used and I find it is invisible to me when I'm working inside my Music Apps anyhow.  Unplug the LAN cable if your smart your DPC will drop to nothing. 

Ive never understood how people can tolerate running such old builds of Cakewalk. 8.5 and SONAR literally have thousands of issues that have been since been addressed. The only reason I see some people running Win7 is for aging hardware that is no longer supported with drivers.
We’ve said before that we don’t have resources to support Win7 anymore and only allow it to install as a courtesy.
If it stops working due to new features we’ll have to block it installing at that time. The older builds will potentially work but would still need authentication as before.

16 minutes ago, twelvetone said:

I think some folks that stay on Win7 may do so out of unease with Win10 and so also turn off Cakewalk Analytics.

Conversely, some Win10 users have Cakewalk Analytics turned off (and have always had them turned off). Not sure if there's data on the % of users (XP, Win7, Win10) who have analytics on v. off.   

On my W7 DAW I use chrome and have no problem with Bandlab Assistant I just updated everything last week. 

edit: I was just reading the early access release thread a there is now a change to the sign in see Noels post below. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1