You know when you follow advice......

Peter C

......like always keep drivers and os and bios updated to the latest versions? So I updated my bios yesterday (Asus Prime 370A board with i7 8700 cpu, 32gb ram, 4 x pcie nvme hard drives plus assorted sata ssds, using Asus integrated graphics, running Windows 10). And CbB is now unusable. Terribly slow opening, seconds delay responding to input - and throwing up small windows pop-ups which flash on and off so quickly I can't read what they say.

Now the really interesting thing is that Sonar Platinum still works fine and another well-known programme beginning with C and ending with e also works normally. All the usual drivers are visible and working normally in these two progs.

I thought a reinstall of CbB would do it but, no, still the same issue after doing that. And I can't even get at the Preferences menu to try to find out what may or may not be going on. I guess I could roll back the bios to the previous version.......

I've always thought that was in fact very bad advice. The idea is to get a good working system and then keep it that way. Constantly updating is a recipe for instability regardless of what so called "experts" say. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" as the saying goes.

• Like 3

Do you set up your BIOS? I do with mine, just kill all unused things on the motherboard disable on board audio etc other stuff that I can't remember. If you do set up your BIOS, maybe all the settings changed to default when you updated. I suppose you would have checked that but mentioned it anyway.

You might find you get problems with the other programs too when you start to use them more.

doesn't sound like bios issue to me. If Sonar is working and CbB is not that really wouldn't indicate a bios problem, more a problem specific to CbB.

Updates to C++ and Visual library's typically come wrapped with CbB installers but if something prevented it from installing (Anti virus, corrupt installer) than you'll need to reinstall those.

I agree, BIOS is not something that has any bearing on how software runs, if anything a few system setting have reverted to default that you need to go and tweak but I doubt that is the issue.

When in doubt, re install the software from scratch. 

Before I update Bios I always read the list of "why".  It usually is nothing that will make my life better so it's been years since I've had to update a BIOS.

• Like 1

Its probably something that intersects with the bios update and the latest (Microsoft) Windows 10 platform SDK that CbB uses is my best guess. But the fact that Platinum doesnt exhibit any obvious issue is interesting. Maybe you had cbb set up to use a different drive or different hardware or a control surface. There are no major differences in CbB that could exhibit such a drastic change otherwise.

BTW you can always do a screen capture and look at it later to see what pop up messages were shown since those could have been a clue to whats wrong. Glad you were able to recover with a BIOS reflash however. BIOS updates don't always do the best thing (most changes are for new hardware additions or gaming support) and they sometimes require updates to your chipset drivers as well.

• Like 2

Seadude : I run the same board Bios 1802 : be sure you installed the asus inf/chipset driver . and only that driver .. updateing the bios is a good thing .. there are many fix's in there.. My system is killer 8086K Thunderbolt .. also look in bios asto settings there a few things you have to consider enableing … your bios update is key to a top running system ! bandlab is the issue !

Well in the interests of trying to get to the bottom of this I'll try it again and this time pay attention to the chipset driver - although I thought I had updated that too. (Did I say I wasn't going to do this ever again?). And if CbB repeats its behaviour I'll try and get a screencapture of the lightning fast popu-ups as Neil suggests.

StarTekh, thanks for the input and I'll let everyone know what happens. I'm trying to get a song finished as well.......

Problem solved! Thanks to Star Tekh. This is what I did:-

Flashed bios to 1802 update.

Reinstalled original Asus (Intel) chipset drivers.

CbB works completely normally as does everything else.

So it seems to have been a chipset driver issue. Many thanks everyone for your input.

That's good. As I said in my original message BIOS updates require updates to your chipset drivers as well. Its not sufficient to flash the BIOS in many cases since there are software components that also need updating. 

When doing troubleshooting one has to be careful not to confuse a symptom with the problem. In this case running a bunch of apps and trying to draw a conclusion from that is not going to lead you to the answer because you are comparing applications that use vastly different API's and services. One app may interact with the component affected by the BIOS update and the other may not at all and therefor not show any visible symptom of the problem. Unlike many other cross platform DAW's Cakewalk has always been a native Windows application.  Cross platform applications typically use a base set of Windows API's depending on the tools used to build the application. As a result they use fewer of the newer Windows API's and may not be affected by a system change. Cakewalk tends to use a lot of the new generation API's in Windows and as a result can be susceptible to latent system instability. 

SeaDude : Nice move !   I'm old school ( if it ain't broke don't fix it ).. But ! these days with new boards and processors Bios and chipset drivers are a must ! Always use your motherboards support drivers !  

Mr Noel.... went through a chit-load of work and programming  to make this prgm what it is.. The least we can do is see Your System is ready todo the job...

The Apollo Twin on his prgm is simply stunning and I thank you Sir !!