How to apply separate effects in parallel to the same track

nayrtrawe

Question

Hi folks. I am very new to Cakewalk and audio production in general so please bear with me. I am hoping someone can explain in layman's terms how to apply two separate sets of effect chains to the same track without any overlap between them. I basically want to process the same imported audio file but with different effects in parallel, if that makes sense. 

For the sake of context, I make experimental noise music using photographic raw data. I convert images to sound and then import that into the DAW to mangle it via effects. I am trying to do everything with one track as a sort of self-imposed restriction to keep things simple and focused. 

I have tried reading up on the subject but I can't seem to find this specific information, or maybe I simply don't understand what I am reading. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. 

5 answers to this question

There's many ways you can do this, but this is how I'd do it (other than simply having 2 tracks with the same audio file):

1. Create two buses.  
2. Set the output of the track to "none"
3. Add two sends on the track, route one send to one of the new buses, and the other send to the other. Make sure the "Post" on each bus send is switched off.
4. Put your effects on the buses

[Edit] - actually, you could keep "Post" on... I guess it depends on whether you want to use the track's fader to control the level to the buses, or just the bus sends.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

There's many ways you can do this, but this is how I'd do it (other than simply having 2 tracks with the same audio file):

1. Create two buses.  
2. Set the output of the track to "none"
3. Add two sends on the track, route one send to one of the new buses, and the other send to the other. Make sure the "Post" on each bus send is switched off.
4. Put your effects on the buses

Many thanks for the quick reply and for the concise instructions. I will definitely give this a try asap. 

Is there any reason why you need it on one track?

The reason I ask, is you could create a second track and copy the audio to the other track as a linked clip.

This would enable you to add effects to each track individually (i.e. in parallel), but they'd both be using the same audio.

Just now, msmcleod said:

Is there any reason why you need it on one track?

The reason I ask, is you could create a second track and copy the audio to the other track as a linked clip.

This would enable you to add effects to each track individually (i.e. in parallel), but they'd both be using the same audio.

There is no real reason for why I can't use multiple tracks. It was more of a self-imposed restriction to keep things simple, but I guess I made things more complicated in the process. I will give your method a try regardless, although all of this is like a foreign language to me. I might just end up using multiple tracks for now because that is easy for me to understand. 

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. 

To help you, when you have got it working the parallel way, come back to this thread, post a screenshot of your routing, and someone can suggest a different way of doing it. Seeing as you have already succeeded doing it one way, the alternative will make sense to you. An effective way of learning.