Computer is down!

cclarry

1 minute ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

And now you may have re-authorization hell to look forward to.  This is why I never use hard drive/computer authorizations if I can avoid them.  Hopefully it won't be that bad.

Luckily with most it's just pointing them to the right location...so not too bad...but will still be a loooooooooooong process...

I couldn't even restore from a backup....that REALLY ticked me off!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mibby said:

You guys have me worried. I'm installing a new (to me) DAW PC with an AMD Ryzen 3.   Are there issues with AMD CPUs??

I wouldn't worry either mibby. AMD are solid choices. Getting better all the time too!! I have an older AMD that was released back in 2013 in my home PC. They are different beasts today!!

The reason I asked Larry if he had an AMD was because I have three computers, all with Win 10 and the only one I ever had the problem with was the AMD. And I never figured out what happened. So when Larry had the same issue, my troubleshooting kicked in so I asked about the AMD. I could have even asked him if he was using a Samsung EVO SSD.  I also thought it might be the Samsung SSD I am using for the system drive.

And when it happened, I could not use the Win 10 repair tools to fix it either. The more Larry tells about it, the more it sounds exactly what happened to me. 

The funny thing is it stopped happening. But based on what I was able to figure out, I still think it has something to do with Win10 and it's updates. Something just wasn't right about it that caused the master boot record to go ka-poot!! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mibby said:

You guys have me worried. I'm installing a new (to me) DAW PC with an AMD Ryzen 3.   Are there issues with AMD CPUs??

I love my Ryzen 5 built. I have had it for about a year, not a single problem. It shaved probably $70 off the total cost. Now I'm building a PC for my son and AMD costs are super high, I think they're having supply issues.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mibby said:

I built my current DAW machine in September 2019 and it has been rock solid (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X).  Windows updates have been unkind to a lot of users, regardless of CPU.  Find a disk image solution that you like, and establish at least a three external drive backup rotation "just in case".  Be sure to also create the bootable media that will let you restore. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.  It is truly free for personal use, not crippled in any way, and even allows mounting an image to pull back individual files if that is all you need to recover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

I built my current DAW machine in September 2019 and it has been rock solid (AMD Ryzen 7 3700X).  Windows updates have been unkind to a lot of users, regardless of CPU.  Find a disk image solution that you like, and establish at least a three external drive backup rotation "just in case".  Be sure to also create the bootable media that will let you restore. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free.  It is truly free for personal use, not crippled in any way, and even allows mounting an image to pull back individual files if that is all you need to recover.

+1.

Macrium free is great and the paid personal version is quite affordable. I used it free until their BF sale. I paid $35 and the extra functionality is well worth the money. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Windows updates have been unkind to a lot of users, regardless of CPU.

Yes this is very true.

Just to be clear here, I ask Larry a question. He gave an answer. It was in no way meant to suggest that AMD is an inferior product.

Glad we got that cleared up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

I'm also taking this opportunity to eliminate VST2...only installing AAX and VST3,
and will save a ton of disk space...everything will be VST3 only shortly anyways...

That's an interesting idea!

But not for me yet, as Akai VIP only scans and loads VST2. 😟

And I had some VST3 that I previously had to block in Cakewalk, and revert to their VST2 version: Waves H-Reverb, Ample Metal Ray, Analog Lab 4, iZotope Iris 2, Rapture Session, u-he Tyrell N6, Z3TA+2.

Don't remember all of the issues, but mostly UI bugs, and a few crashes. But haven't retested them in ages, and especially not with the latest version of Cakewalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry Shelby said:

I'm also taking this opportunity to eliminate VST2...only installing AAX and VST3,
and will save a ton of disk space...everything will be VST3 only shortly anyways...

I like this idea! I'll be installing my new-to-me DAW PC soon and will do the same.  👍

Edited by mibby
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

There's a lot of plugins that are only VST2....but I'm going to do without them.  
It's time to get with the times or get out vendors!

I can't give up Kontakt.  I mostly try and punt the VST2 versions but there are just too many products that are still only VST2.  If I have a choice I'll skip the VST2.  I suspect VST4 will be here before VST2 really dies.  I've also been punting 32-bit version.  But again there have been a few exceptions.  I always punt the AAX stuff and have a script to delete them all when I don't get a choice.

14 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

PS...not to mention saving "Scan time"

I've disable background scans in Cakewalk.

Studio One and Ableton Live don't seem to take long to scan. They seem to be a bit more selective with what gets scanned at every startup.