Regarding upcoming 2021.01 release theme changes

Colin Nicholls

This is not official; just my comment:

It seems that the minimal change we need to make to have our custom themes be compatible with 2021.01 is to increase the width of one Theme Element:

Control Bar / Modules / Select / Background (large)

Increasing the width from 131px to 204px will allow the four new buttons to be visible in the UI. Otherwise, they are not shown except for a thin sliver on the right edge of the Select Module.

(It is not essential to customize the new buttons themselves, but they will of course look like they do in Mercury, if you make no other changes.)

This change is semi-backward compatible with 2020.11 in that the only side-effect is that the Select module is wider than previous, with "empty space" on the right side. Interesting... I wonder if we can make the other module backgrounds wider than they are currently without detriment?

Edited by Colin Nicholls
Tested updated theme in 2020.11
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

It seems that the minimal change we need to make to have our custom themes be compatible with 2021.01 is to increase the width of one Theme Element:

Increasing the width from 131px to 204px will allow the four new buttons to be visible in the UI. Otherwise, they are not shown except for a thin sliver on the right edge of the Select Module.

(It is not essential to customize the new buttons themselves, but they will of course look like they do in Mercury, if you make no other changes.)

This change is semi-backward compatible with 2020.11 in that the only side-effect is that the Select module is wider than previous, with "empty space" on the right side. Interesting... I wonder if we can make the other module backgrounds wider than they are currently without detriment?

Could a theme glitch be causing this problem? If yes, any suggestions?

6 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

Could a theme glitch be causing this problem? If yes, any suggestions?

Bill, I remember seeing your post earlier, and nearly commented to the effect of, "I don't think so, but I also don't think you're imagining things. I feel that over the last couple of updates, it has been harder to drag-widen a track string from minimized; but I never was able to nail down exactly why. It was as though the mouse pointer would change to indicate we could resize the track, but it wouldn't "take"".

So... no I don't think it is a theme glitch. I also don't think it is a 2021.01 issue. But I also don't think it isn't real.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Bill, I remember seeing your post earlier, and nearly commented to the effect of, "I don't think so, but I also don't think you're imagining things. I feel that over the last couple of updates, it has been harder to drag-widen a track string from minimized; but I never was able to nail down exactly why. It was as though the mouse pointer would change to indicate we could resize the track, but it wouldn't "take"".

So... no I don't think it is a theme glitch. I also don't think it is a 2021.01 issue. But I also don't think it isn't real.

Thanks. I appreciate the response.

On 1/15/2021 at 7:47 PM, Colin Nicholls said:

Hi! Haven´t find the way to change the width of the Select module... I go as far as to find the Control Bar /Modules / Select / Background (large) within the Theme Editor, and get stuck. Should I edit it in Photoshop? - thanks!

Photoshop is fine for modifying images but I doubt you really want to resize images using any editor.

The easiest way to update the background image (or any image) depends on whether the user theme is based on Mercury or Tungsten.

If it is based on Mercury, deleting the existing image will automatically pick up the new Mercury image.

If it is based on Tungsten, open Tungsten in another instance of the Theme Editor, copy and paste the Tungsten image into the new theme.

Delete, Copy and Paste are on the context menu shown when right-clicking an image.

This will insure the size of the image is exactly what CbB expects.

Then modify the texture or color as desired in Photoshop.

The Theme Edit lets you add an image editor using the Setup Wizard in the Tools tab.

14 hours ago, scook said:

Photoshop is fine for modifying images but I doubt you really want to resize images using any editor.

The easiest way to update the background image (or any image) depends on whether the user theme is based on Mercury or Tungsten.

If it is based on Mercury, deleting the existing image will automatically pick up the new Mercury image.

If it is based on Tungsten, open Tungsten in another instance of the Theme Editor, copy and paste the Tungsten image into the new theme.

Delete, Copy and Paste are on the context menu shown when right-clicking an image.

This will insure the size of the image is exactly what CbB expects.

Then modify the texture or color as desired in Photoshop.

The Theme Edit lets you add an image editor using the Setup Wizard in the Tools tab.

Great - Thanks! I'll give it a try.