Cakewalk 2021.01 Early Access Available

cclarry

39 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I keep on hoping to see a chord track. I much prefer MIDI in Cakewalk, particularly the PRV, but often use Studio One because of the chord track.

My guess-timate  will be coming soon in the next couple of updates. 

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I keep on hoping to see a chord track. I much prefer MIDI in Cakewalk, particularly the PRV, but often use Studio One because of the chord track.

Honeslty you can blame the community for not voting for it.   A while ago Bandlab asked for feedback on what the community would like to see developed.  Chord Track wasn't even a blip on the votes.

I've thought that should be a top priority (other than stability) for a long time.  It is the one feature that can help noobs make music without haven't to know much of anyting and can be of great use to very experienced users as well if done right.  

There is been enough chatter about it that I think it is on the roadmap finally.   But there are also many different levels and layers as to what a chord track is and can do.  Therefore hopefully they just release a chunk at a time as a full featred set that has the entire capabilites of Studio One and Cubase (and perhpas more) is going to be a long journey I'm sure.

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have pretty much given up any expectations that Cakewalk will add a chord track. Anymore, I almost always use SOne, because of this perceived limitation of Cakewalk. 

29 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

The most useful thing about the chord track for me is the simplest. Just having an easy indication of what the chord is at any point in the song.

One of the nice, deeper features in S1 is the chord track integration with Melodyne, this can be very handy, or a red herring.

I'm right there with you on that.  That has been my #1 realistic wish for a long time.  Scaler 2 came along and gave me the generate midi/chord/voicing idea to test out ideas and get a base structure quickly.  But this still lacks the obvious "big chord" image in the DAW for when I'm playing over a progression.  It boggles my mind this is still lacking.  Using those miniscule marker points is tedious and inadequate.  

Hopefully soon.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

I've thought that should be a top priority (other than stability) for a long time.  It is the one feature that can help noobs make music without haven't to know much of anyting and can be of great use to very experienced users as well if done right.  

There is been enough chatter about it that I think it is on the roadmap finally.   But there are also many different levels and layers as to what a chord track is and can do.  Therefore hopefully they just release a chunk at a time as a full featred set that has the entire capabilites of Studio One and Cubase (and perhpas more) is going to be a long journey I'm sure.

A chord track should be very handy, especially for the reason that Vernon just mentioned regarding an easy indication of what the chord is at any point in the song. That would help with arranging the song, and composing additional parts.

And as you said, it probably would need to be implemented in stages. What I would like to see these stages as:

1. Starting with a chord marker track that can automatically extract the chords from a MIDI track, and fill in the markers with the current chords.
  2. Add the ability for MIDI tracks to follow the chord track.
  3. Add a chord assistant UI that is aware of the scales/modes, and offers optional chords/variations for use on MIDI or instrument tracks.
  4. Ability to extract the chords from an audio track to the chord track.
  5. Add the ability for audio tracks to follow the chord track.

Of course,  #3 could be accomplished by using a plug-in such as Scaler 2, or others. But the rest would need to be built into the DAW.

And #5 would be useful to composers who record real instruments rather than MIDI. But this would probably be the most difficult to do well. Although there is probably a way to leverage ARA2 for this.