Midi cymbal crash becomes quick hi hat sound!

RICHARD HUTCHINS

Hi all,

Mr. Newbie here again. If my learning curve gets any steeper I'll need crampons! Anyway I'm adding a few cymbal crashes to my drums ( Addictive Drums 2) by opening the midi in the inspector and using the draw tool to add a few crashes here and there. But sometimes it seems to shorten the sound, so instead of a crash there's a quick sound like a hi hat closing, not what I want. As usual this will be me being dumb but I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong?

It's probably something really obvious. For example, Cakewalk thinks C5 is note 60, whereas Addictive drums uses C3.

Start with an empty project. Add AD2 as an instrument, and remember to check the "split" checkbox to create two tracks, one for the VST and one for the MIDI driver.

Then use a test clip that plays every MIDI note in sequence. Play back. What do you hear? Is this what you expected? This should help you get close to the root cause.

3 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

That's what I thought, too. The length of a cymbal MIDI-note should be irrelevant. There is a separate note for muting the cymbal, IIRC,  isn't there?

IIRC  If I recall correctly?

Perhaps you are thinking of an open hi-hat versus a closed hi-hat which is a different note.

Someone here says they programmed the splash cymbal to choke the crash cymbal:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/MIDI-Cymbal-muting-question-m1253802.aspx

Is it possible there is another note triggered soon after the hit that is causing the cymbal to shorten/choke? Some drum kits are programmed to cancel out the note before when you hit another too soon after- or at least used to be that way. Check to see if you have overriding (or a hat soon after your cymbal hit.)

Edited by Michael Fogarty
  • Great Idea 1

43 minutes ago, Michael Fogarty said:

Is it possible there is another note triggered soon after the hit that is causing the cymbal to shorten/choke? Some drum kits are programmed to cancel out the note before when you hit another too soon after- or at least used to be that way. Check to see if you have overriding (or a hat soon after your cymbal hit.)

This is almost for sure what's happening. @RICHARD HUTCHINS If you want to add cymbal crashes of long duration, I suggest you use a new instance of AD2. The drums in the main instance will always chop off your crashes.