Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

Sampletank expansions from Sonic Reality

I haven't tried importing any of the old SampleTank 2 libraries -- like SR is selling -- into SampleTank 4. Is it an easy process? 

These are the old ST 2.5 ones by the look of it. Dave Kerzner's social media posts seem to indicate that there my be some new ones in the pipeline.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

It looks that way from the website - you can import to ST3 and use in ST4 but not sure how they would stand up to modern sounds - I have a few I got when I had ST2

• Like 1

These were included in the original Total Studio Package and were made for SampleTank 2

• Like 1

It makes little sense that ST4 does not allow you to convert these into ST4 ready files, but ST3 does. I understand why it happened historically, but it's not very consumer-friendly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I haven't tried importing any of the old SampleTank 2 libraries -- like SR is selling -- into SampleTank 4. Is it an easy process? 

You would need a copy of ST3 to do any importing. ST4 doesn't support importing.

ST4 will read ST3 libraries native, no import required.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

It makes little sense that ST4 does not allow you to convert these into ST4 ready files, but ST3 does. I understand why it happened historically, but it's not very consumer-friendly.

I suppose that right or wrong, IK must have assumed that most would have converted their old libraries to ST3 format by now. But I agree, not very consumer friendly.

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

not very consumer friendly.

No it's not. Having installed all of the expansion packs I got from the original Total Studio on my new build was a major PITA. Importing into ST3 was nothing compared to the manual installation of all those libraries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

It looks that way from the website - you can import to ST3 and use in ST4 but not sure how they would stand up to modern sounds - I have a few I got when I had ST2

Just went through a few of the ST2 sounds in ST4. They are not bad. I would say with the right fx they would do. 

To be honest, I think these sounds have passed their prime. They are more trouble to install than they are worth. Let me put it this way, I won't be installing them anymore. If something happens and I have to reinstall ST3 and ST4, ST2 libraries will not be included. What sounds are in ST2 I have other replacements they would serve me better. And MUCH EASIER TO INSTALL!!

That said, if your still working with ST2 and a minimum PC, this is a good deal.

Heck, I still have (and never used) Sonik Synth ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Heck, I still have (and never used) Sonik Synth ...

First world problems...  😉

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I used to mainly use Sampletank for their synth patches and Tron libraries from Dave Kerzner's company.  I did read about importing ST2 libraries into ST3 first in order to use them in ST4, but what a convoluted and non-user friendly hassle. I suppose I'll do it for the old SR libraries I have, but I doubt I'm going to buy more decade old libraries to go through that process. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

it is my understanding once you import them into ST3 you can save the directory, delete ST3, and then point ST4 to that directory and it will now read those old files. But I have not tried it.

1 minute ago, fret_man said:

it is my understanding once you import them into ST3 you can save the directory, delete ST3, and then point ST4 to that directory and it will now read those old files. But I have not tried it.

That should work. I have ST4 pointed to my ST3 content path, and I never open ST3 any more.

I still use the various mellotron sounds from ST2.5. Part of their charm is that they are so clearly lo-fi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LAGinz said:

Part of their charm is that they are so clearly lo-fi.

Agreed. And that's part of why I installed all that stuff.

But after getting it installed, imported, and working I now realized there is a better way.

If IK could/would combine all the sample libraries of ST2.5 into one install, then there would be no reason not to install them. As it stands, I really ain't going to go through that PITA installation again. : )

6 hours ago, Grem said:

Agreed. And that's part of why I installed all that stuff.

But after getting it installed, imported, and working I now realized there is a better way.

If IK could/would combine all the sample libraries of ST2.5 into one install, then there would be no reason not to install them. As it stands, I really ain't going to go through that PITA installation again. : )

Luckily I had already gone through that process for ST3, do didn’t have to do it again. 

• Like 1