Sampletank expansions from Sonic Reality

Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I haven't tried importing any of the old SampleTank 2 libraries -- like SR is selling -- into SampleTank 4. Is it an easy process? 

You would need a copy of ST3 to do any importing. ST4 doesn't support importing.

ST4 will read ST3 libraries native, no import required.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LAGinz said:

It makes little sense that ST4 does not allow you to convert these into ST4 ready files, but ST3 does. I understand why it happened historically, but it's not very consumer-friendly.

I suppose that right or wrong, IK must have assumed that most would have converted their old libraries to ST3 format by now. But I agree, not very consumer friendly.

19 minutes ago, abacab said:

not very consumer friendly.

No it's not. Having installed all of the expansion packs I got from the original Total Studio on my new build was a major PITA. Importing into ST3 was nothing compared to the manual installation of all those libraries. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

It looks that way from the website - you can import to ST3 and use in ST4 but not sure how they would stand up to modern sounds - I have a few I got when I had ST2

Just went through a few of the ST2 sounds in ST4. They are not bad. I would say with the right fx they would do. 

To be honest, I think these sounds have passed their prime. They are more trouble to install than they are worth. Let me put it this way, I won't be installing them anymore. If something happens and I have to reinstall ST3 and ST4, ST2 libraries will not be included. What sounds are in ST2 I have other replacements they would serve me better. And MUCH EASIER TO INSTALL!!

That said, if your still working with ST2 and a minimum PC, this is a good deal.

7 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

It looks that way from the website - you can import to ST3 and use in ST4 but not sure how they would stand up to modern sounds - I have a few I got when I had ST2

I used to mainly use Sampletank for their synth patches and Tron libraries from Dave Kerzner's company.  I did read about importing ST2 libraries into ST3 first in order to use them in ST4, but what a convoluted and non-user friendly hassle. I suppose I'll do it for the old SR libraries I have, but I doubt I'm going to buy more decade old libraries to go through that process. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, fret_man said:

it is my understanding once you import them into ST3 you can save the directory, delete ST3, and then point ST4 to that directory and it will now read those old files. But I have not tried it.

That should work. I have ST4 pointed to my ST3 content path, and I never open ST3 any more.

1 hour ago, LAGinz said:

Part of their charm is that they are so clearly lo-fi.

Agreed. And that's part of why I installed all that stuff.

But after getting it installed, imported, and working I now realized there is a better way.

If IK could/would combine all the sample libraries of ST2.5 into one install, then there would be no reason not to install them. As it stands, I really ain't going to go through that PITA installation again. : )

6 hours ago, Grem said:

Agreed. And that's part of why I installed all that stuff.

But after getting it installed, imported, and working I now realized there is a better way.

If IK could/would combine all the sample libraries of ST2.5 into one install, then there would be no reason not to install them. As it stands, I really ain't going to go through that PITA installation again. : )

Luckily I had already gone through that process for ST3, do didn’t have to do it again. 

• Like 1