Recording E-Drumset via MIDI using the drummodules' sounds

DR4GONP4SS

Question

Hi,

I'm new here so pls be gentle :) Since I didn't find anything about that topic, i assume this hasn't been discussed yet:

So I recently bought an Alesis Crimson SE II Mesh Drum Kit to record my drums via MIDI.

I found a whole lot about using e.g. the Instruments provided by cakewalk or by VST plugins, but I didn't find anything about how to use the sounds from the drum module.

Does anybody know how to set this up? Or do I need to import the sounds from the module to my PC?

Thanks in advance ;)

4 answers to this question

First important fact is install the latest midi USB drivers from the Alesis web site  

Second- midi is just the data that you can record to a midi track in your DAW. It doesn’t contain sound. The sounds will be made by the VST instruments  or hardware synth.
The beauty of this method is you can clean up your performance and edit mistakes.
Then you can send the midi back out to the Brain of the kit. Now simply connect it with 2 audio cables to your audio interface. You will need an audio interface for this to work properly 

Then record this to a stereo audio track in the DAW. 

You can record your drums audio live as well but most of us need a little editing so that’s why using midi first is preferable.
Have fun I have a Yamaha kit and even though my drumming sucks I can get a pretty good track down. 

Edited by John Vere

Hi,

Thanks for your response :)

I think i need to explain my question a little bit further, since I already did/knew most of the things you wrote.

So here a little bit about my setup:

I have a Alesis Live 1604 recording mixer which is connected to my PC via USB for amplifying and recording mics, bass etc. - this works just fine.

Then there is my e-drum set which is connected via USB to my PC and - additionally - via 1/4" TRS to my mixer ( for amplification purposes  - recording works also).

So this works fine but i don't know how I get the sounds of my module going (expect some issues with latency and the hihat): see midi_setup01.png

Can you help me with that?

Thanks in advance

midi_setup01.png

The documentation only mentions the USB port for sending MIDI data, it does not say anything about receiving MIDI data.

The 5-pin DIN connections support MIDI send and receive.

If this is the case, in order to use the sounds in the Crimson II Drum Module requires a PC-MIDI interface that supports the 5-pin DIN connectors.

If the USB port can receive MIDI data, then set up the drum module as a MIDI output device in Cakewalk, set the MIDI track output to the device and record the audio from the drum module like any other audio source.

Hi DR4GONPASS and welcome to the Cakewalk forums.

It seems to me that you will need an additional Audio track with input set to your Drum Kit Brain via your mixer.  The audio track in your picture is for the Synth's sounds.  Using the method John described should capture your drum kit's sound module.

Kind regards,

tecknot