Windows update strikes again

John Vere

1 minute ago, John Vere said:

Typing from the updated machine. I forgot what a difference a SSD drive makes- Holy cow this machine is running fast now. It's just an i5 duo core 3.20Ghz. 16 GB RAM

I built it myself from a bunch of parts that were mostly on sale I think it cost me $350 including a nice case and 750 watt PS. I have the 480 SSD and then 3 older 7200 1TB drives. One is the old OS drive which looks like windows renames Windows.Old so won't boot from it.  

Question while I have your undivided attention- How do you set permissions? It keeps asking for permission to copy files etc. 

As long as the user you're running as is a local admin, you should be able to just OK that prompt and continue.  I don't recommend changing the permissions of anything in the Windows.old directory, as it could mess up your ability to rollback if you need to.

If it's really annoying you, you can temporarily disable UAC : https://winaero.com/how-to-turn-off-and-disable-uac-in-windows-10/

• Thanks 1

On 1/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, John Vere said:

It said something about failing to update and a few options I can’t remember what I chose but it might have been try again. In the morning it was still stuck.

Here's a kooky story for you, @John Vere:

A few days ago -- probably after the same Windows Update that caused your problem -- my DAW wouldn't load Windows. I restarted it to no avail. Total black screen all the way through the boot process. I recalled reading somewhere that if you interrupt the boot process by shutting off the machine three consecutive times before it completes, it will go into the BIOS. I tried that, and nothing. I left it running with the black screen up.

A half hour later I glanced over at it and it was restarting on its own! I'm sorry I can't give the exact details of what happened next, but the "error" message said something to the effect of "This Windows Update failed (and it was probably your fault) so we have rolled back the Update and restarted your PC. We'll try the update again in 30 days, after we have figured out what went wrong."

The machine started up, loaded Windows, and everything is working. If I had not walked away from it while it was on, if I had decided to try and "fix" it myself, I would never have known an update could do that.

• Like 1

@Larry Jones That’s exactly what was happening in a sort of different way. I got It to boot eventually but it rolled back the up date and then wanted me to restart. No way Jose. I kept it turned on until I had backed it up.  
So maybe it wasn’t the hard drive but I’m really glad I did this as the machine is running 100% better than ever. 
The update might have barfed because of the iffy hard drive. 

I also have to thank a person on the Microsoft community forum for a quick answer about what happens when you install a new drive and install windows fresh.  Seems it’s not a problem anymore with digital signature. Windows remembers you machine. No more product keys. 

At this point I think I have everything I need working again. All between installing new flooring in the entrance hall , dog walks, drinks of homemade wine and talking way to much on this forum 

Oh and one more thing.   Air products are awesome to use but.   the stupidest buggy install activation  system on this  planet. Cheap but absolutely no updates or fixed bugs in the last 8 years. or the terrible install regime. I wasted hours and  I actually know what to do. I installed about 30 3rd party plug ins in 20 minutes but I’m still not done with Air. 

Edited by John Vere
Typos

Windows insider here: Download Netframe 5.0 and upgrade with ease to 20h2

It is really important to always update the current version of Window10 before upgrading to a different build of windows.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

13 hours ago, DeBro said:

Reading through this thread, the procedures you have to do in order to rebuild a music computer and have all your software intact and functioning , you also have to become a Major Geek.

That's why I use a reliable disk imaging program that automatically makes a new full system drive image every night! It only takes me about 30 minutes or so to boot from a USB flash recovery drive & restore the entire drive to just like it was the previous night. The image process only requires the learning curve to set it up, then it's set and forget until you need it. :)

Beats spending weeks trying to rebuild my system back to like it was... 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

That's why I use a reliable disk imaging program that automatically makes a new full system drive image every night! It only takes me about 30 minutes or so to boot from a USB flash recovery drive & restore the entire drive to just like it was the previous night. The image process only requires the learning curve to set it up, then it's set and forget until you need it. :)

Beats spending weeks trying to rebuild my system back to like it was... 🤪

Yeah, I do a similar thing, but maybe 1 - 3 times a month, depending on what I've installed/upgraded.

My projects get backed up to the cloud at the end of each session, so it's pretty easy to get back to where I was even if my image is a month old.

My system drive takes 30 mins, but my drive with all my libraries on it... that's closer to 2.5 hours.

24 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Yeah, I do a similar thing, but maybe 1 - 3 times a month, depending on what I've installed/upgraded.

My projects get backed up to the cloud at the end of each session, so it's pretty easy to get back to where I was even if my image is a month old.

My system drive takes 30 mins, but my drive with all my libraries on it... that's closer to 2.5 hours.

Yep, I was just referring to re-building the music PC system drive with all of my programs and plugins, which would be the most time consuming to re-build from scratch.

I use a simple file sync program to back up changed project sessions and other docs intraday.

My drive with sample libraries gets imaged weekly at midnight Sunday. That one takes about almost 2 hours. But in all cases it's "outside of business hours" as the image scheduler wakes the computer up from sleep, runs the image, and lets it get back to sleep. My friendly little assistant! :)

In this case a re image of the old drive would have brought 10 years of dirty laundry with it   Certainly if I started the image backup now it would be a better option going forward. 
it only took a couple of hours total to re build. Only hang up was Air. The installers for some work fine but half of them stall on the library location.