Mixing & Recording Template

Glenn Stanton

I've actually done away with templates, with the exception of my "band" recording template which is set up for my mobile rig.

I used to use a template when I used exclusively hardware synths, which made sense as it saved me having to remember which port everything was on. However, I found that pretty much everything I wrote started to sound the same.

Nowadays I add things as and when I need them.

I don't do mixing for clients, but if I did I definitely would use a template - but for writing I find it puts me in a rut.

• Like 1

agreed -- the composing template for me just gets me into the process faster as it has my tools and basic tracks ready to go. so, between that and some other tools like MuseScore 4, Band-In-A-Box and Hookpad, i can rapidly get ideas down. and each tools forces a rethink if i'm trying out parts or whole songs in different styles. and when i really want to start fresh -- i have my "blank" template (which using the start screen means i don't have to save anything or create a folder -- different than "file->new") for something i might throw away. 

whereas the record template comes into play when i've got the song far enough to put into audio 🙂 so if i'm doing something with guitar, keys, drums and bass, then the template is just really fast to get those "done" and then i can focus on interesting things like synth, vocals, and solos -- or change up the arrangement even if i did the full arrangement as i thought i might like it...

but agreed, too much focus on the template early on could lead to same old same old...