[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.01 Early Access

Morten Saether

12 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

Suggestion: untick "Use MMCSS" in Cakewalk's preferences.  There is some - ahem - disagreement about whether the driver or application should control use of MMCSS (Steinberg, MOTU and - from memory - RME all say it should be the driver, so I'd argue this is correct), and I wonder if there's some conflict here.

It's only a guess mind!

Unfortunately this morning on my two systems .. no joy. Putting the Audio setting back to Evo 4 ASIO & Disabling MMCSS didnt work. In fact now it eventually opens files with Dropout 0 error and then pretty much crashed CW. So back to WASAPI for me on both for a while

13 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

ASIO working the way it should. Will try on my other system tomorrow and see if same. I move the EVO tween 2 systems

Often times the onboard soundcard drivers clash with that of the interface. Much like Asio4All clash with most Interface drivers. It is recommended to disable the onboard soundcard to only use the drivers of your interface.

Most machines don't require this, but just to keep in mind for a next time remember this. I run Scarlett and everything else is disabled on my Studio Machine, to give my Focusrite Scarlett solely permission to use as the main and only soundcard - with the sample rate of windows synced with my interface.  

Results: No Dropouts! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, scook said:

Possibly the result of running a user theme that needs to be updated.

Either update the theme or change to Mercury or Tungsten and restart CbB.

Thank you very much issue fixed I Switched  to Tungsten Theme and restarted CbB And all is back. Big thanks

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Unfortunately this morning on my two systems .. no joy. Putting the Audio setting back to Evo 4 ASIO & Disabling MMCSS didnt work. In fact now it eventually opens files with Dropout 0 error and then pretty much crashed CW. So back to WASAPI for me on both for a while

So it did work and then stopped working?

15 hours ago, John Vere said:

Just downloaded and installed. Looking forward to playing with the Arranger. I have never needed to use it but have a finished project I'd like to,,well,, re- arrange. 

To those who are using WASAPI- Be careful of your overdubs. You should really run a loopback test and adjust your timing offset- Only ASIO can correctly report to Cakewalk the correct RTL so that it can adjust the timing offset. This is why it's also important that your interface is the timing master and the device used in the latency dialog. I have had this taken over by Generic drivers and this throws your timing offset out.  ( sorry OT but I cringe when I see people using anything but ASIO. ) 

2021-01-18.png

Strangely, none of the other DAWS seem to have this problem, except for ProTools and CbB.

53 minutes ago, Kevin Perry said:

MMCSS is likely a red herring. The only case I know about it causing a problem was with Lynx and that was due to a bug in their driver which they fixed.
They were not handling MMCSS failing which is a normal condition that can occur if the host has set up MMCSS.

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

In a sense yes. It worked last night on my laptop WHICH I HAD NOT REBOOTED then. Today I turned on both systems, driver mode set to ASIO, tried MMCSS  both enabled and disabled. Pretty much Dropout Error 0 the minute I load any file new or old. Cannot reenable the audio engine and hear a regular ticking noise over the speaker. Also the MIC Icon is flashing on and off down in the system tray if thats any help. With no audio engine, cannot play a project AND the cursor on the screen is a circle going around in circles. 

Switch to WASAPI .. all is well

CW_Dropouts2.jpg

Edited by aidan o driscoll

51 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

In a sense yes. It worked last night on my laptop WHICH I HAD NOT REBOOTED then. Today I turned on both systems, driver mode set to ASIO, tried MMCSS  both enabled and disabled. Pretty much Dropout Error 0 the minute I load any file new or old. Cannot reenable the audio engine and hear a regular ticking noise over the speaker. Also the MIC Icon is flashing on and off down in the system tray if thats any help. With no audio engine cannot play a project AND the cursor on the screen is a circle going around in circles. 

FWIW - I got exactly that issue with my focusrite over the weekend (the ticking that is). I re-installed my ASIO drivers and all was well.

For the record the dropout issue reported by @aidan o driscoll has been resolved. I did a teamviewer session with him and found the source of his problems.
Its a driver problem with handling multiple clients at different sample rates and unrelated to Cakewalk.

In his case his Windows configuration was set to use the EVO-4 device at 24 bit 96K and Cakewalk was set to work at 24 bit 44.1K.  When I loaded his project on his system the driver appears to go into some infinite loop trying to fight Cakewalk setting the sample rate to 44.1. You can see the icons on the taskbar flashing and the driver refuses to switch to 44.1. I can't see what its doing behind the scenes but I expect its sending an infinite loop of ASIO restart notifications to Cakewalk which would explain why Cakewalk drops out immediately and then appears to hang.

I changed the Windows sound settings configuration to 16 bit, 44.1Khz for all the input and output ports for the EVO and after that everything works perfectly. We even loaded his project with the driver set to run at 16 samples and it worked perfectly.  I'm not sure why it defaulted to 96K in Windows since Aidan said that he didn't set it up that way.  I've seen many audio drivers malfunction when used at different sample rates so the first step of troubleshooting should be to either set windows to not use the audio device or make sure that its using the same sample rate/bit depth as Cakewalk. If you have an onboard soundcard, often the easiest thing to do is set Windows to use that instead.

The fix for running the device with two apps (Windows and Cakewalk) at different sample rates would have to come from the driver vendor. Aidan please start a correspondence with them.

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

For the record the dropout issue reported by @aidan o driscoll has been resolved. I did a teamviewer session with him and found the source of his problems.
Its a driver problem with handling multiple clients at different sample rates and unrelated to Cakewalk.

In his case his Windows configuration was set to use the EVO-4 device at 24 bit 96K and Cakewalk was set to work at 24 bit 44.1K.  When I loaded his project on his system the driver appears to go into some infinite loop trying to fight Cakewalk setting the sample rate to 44.1. You can see the icons on the taskbar flashing and the driver refuses to switch to 44.1. I can't see what its doing behind the scenes but I expect its sending an infinite loop of ASIO restart notifications to Cakewalk which would explain why Cakewalk drops out immediately and then appears to hang.

I changed the Windows sound settings configuration to 16 bit, 44.1Khz for all the input and output ports for the EVO and after that everything works perfectly. We even loaded his project with the driver set to run at 16 samples and it worked perfectly.  I'm not sure why it defaulted to 96K in Windows since Aidan said that he didn't set it up that way.  I've seen many audio drivers malfunction when used at different sample rates so the first step of troubleshooting should be to either set windows to not use the audio device or make sure that its using the same sample rate/bit depth as Cakewalk. If you have an onboard soundcard, often the easiest thing to do is set Windows to use that instead.

The fix for running the device with two apps (Windows and Cakewalk) at different sample rates would have to come from the driver vendor. Aidan please start a correspondence with them.

Thanks @Noel Borthwick .. very interesting session. Next step is to continue correspondence with the vendor - AUDIENT.

Much appreciated that session, thank you

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

In a sense yes. It worked last night on my laptop WHICH I HAD NOT REBOOTED then. Today I turned on both systems, driver mode set to ASIO, tried MMCSS  both enabled and disabled. Pretty much Dropout Error 0 the minute I load any file new or old. Cannot reenable the audio engine and hear a regular ticking noise over the speaker. Also the MIC Icon is flashing on and off down in the system tray if thats any help. With no audio engine, cannot play a project AND the cursor on the screen is a circle going around in circles. 

CW_Dropouts2.jpg

Ho hum - I was optimistic there for a bit!

The only reason it worked in WASAPI shared mode is because Windows was doing the sample rate conversion not the driver.  In his case Windows would be upsampling from 44.1 to 96K which is inefficient but would work. MMCSS is completely unrelated to this and is unlikely to cause a problem in most cases.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Yeah - I've been giving this advice a lot. Seems like new users and those who feels they have more experience don't believe this.

I haven't had any dropouts of such, since I have discovered this in my Windows 7 days and still used the LE version of Sonar using only Asio4All back in 2013. 

The only time I would and still get some sort of dropout, will be with a plugin that does not support the sample rate I use with Windows 10 and the DAW. It's also extremely important to know to check if your "Favorite" plugins support these sample rates and if they have the setting to be set accordingly. 

Another important step to know: Is to never use generic drivers other than that of the devices manufacturer - including your motherboards drivers from their website. With different machines - windows intend not to have a great generic version for it. 

I think this needs to be added in the documentation too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
Typo's
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Another important step to know: To never generic drivers other than that of the devices manufacturer - including your motherboards drivers from their website. With different machines - windows intend not to have a great generic version for it. 

I think this needs to be added in the documentation too. 

Is there some kind of "Dropout troubleshooting checklist", where "check Windows samplerate" and "don't use generic drivers" could be added? So that Cakewalk users easily can check it themselves before posting or contacting support.

Great troubleshooting, Noel! 😀

12 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Is there some kind of "Dropout troubleshooting checklist", where "check Windows samplerate" and "don't use generic drivers" could be added? So that Cakewalk users easily can check it themselves before posting or contacting support.

Great troubleshooting, Noel! 😀

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=AudioPerformance.24.html

• Like 1